Spells of Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Re: Spells of Legend

Postby Bifford » Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Another one, this time a Divine Spell:

Divine
Night Sight
Duration 6 Hours, Progressive, Rank Initiate, Touch

The recipient of this spell gains a +10% bonus per magnitude of the spell to their perception skill while in darkness. Under normal circumstances adventurers suffer minuses depending on ambient light from the moon and cloud cover. This spell helps negate that deficiency. Can also be used underground.
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Fri May 11, 2012 10:09 pm

For all the Blacksmiths out there:
Common Magic:

Heat Metal
Duration 15, Magnitude 1, Progressive, Touch

Allows the caster to heat up any metal to a point where it is workable and malleable, as
though it had been heated in a forge.
For every point of magnitude 1 ENC of metal can be heated in this manner.
At the end of the spell, or when doused, the metal cools normally.
A suitable craft skill is required to work the metal.
No forge or furnace is required for this spell.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat May 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Very nice! I like Shelter Blessing and Night Sight a lot.

I'm a bit worried about the potential combat applications of Heat Metal though - all you need to do is touch a piece of armour worn by an opponent and it becomes red-hot for 15 minutes as though it had been heated in a forge. Even at a cost of 1 ENC per point of Magnitude, you can seriously mess up an armoured opponent's day at Magnitude 3+....
rust
Chief Mongoose

Postby rust » Sun May 13, 2012 9:18 am

Since a Craft skill is needed to work the heated metal, and
this craft requires the proper tools to work the metal, in or-
der to eliminate the spell's use in combat you could add that
the metal has to rest on an anvil for the spell to work, or has
to be touched with a blacksmith's tool for the entire duration
of the spell, or something similar ?
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Sun May 13, 2012 11:19 am

hmm, both good points, well made.

How's about:

Malleable Metal
Duration 15, Magnitude 1, Progressive, Touch

Allows the caster to heat up any metal to a point where it is workable and malleable, as
though it had been heated in a forge.
For the spell to work
For every point of magnitude 1 ENC of metal can be heated in this manner.
For every point of magnitude 5 minutes must be spent holding the metal and repeating the spell, so a magnitude 2 spell will take 10 minutes to cast.
At the end of the spell, or when doused, the metal cools normally.
A suitable craft skill is required to work the metal.
No forge or furnace is required for this spell.
Last edited by Bifford on Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon May 14, 2012 4:18 am

That solves most of the issues with the spell. I might also be tempted to change the name though, since classic D&D has a spell with this name but different effects...
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Spell name updated in last post to "Malleable Metal".

Two Questions:

When will the spells.odt file be updated next?
Do spell writers not get their name in the contributing authors list? cause that's 5 now I think will be in there of mine :) (I think lol)

Sam / Bifford
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu May 17, 2012 3:03 am

Bifford wrote:Spell name updated in last post to "Malleable Metal".

Two Questions:

When will the spells.odt file be updated next?
Do spell writers not get their name in the contributing authors list? cause that's 5 now I think will be in there of mine :) (I think lol)

Sam / Bifford
Cheers!

I'm planning to do an update this weekend - I've been a bit swamped by work over the past few days. I've also got a couple of new spells under development at the moment :)

In earlier versions of this file, I listed the author of each spell under the description of the spell. However, a number of people didn't want to be listed so I removed this. I'm happy to reinstate it if people want - I'd list those spells that people don't want credit as created by Anonymous :)
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Thu May 17, 2012 6:22 am

I think that clutters up the spell list with unnecessary information. But having names (of those who want to be named) in that top list is good imo.

Your choice naturally :)

Sam
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:48 am

OK...I'm looking for some feedback on this divine magic spell as I'm not sure that it really works in the format outlined below. It introduces a mechanic - bonus Improvement Rolls - that I'm not entirely comfortable with. I'd be interested to know what other people think...

Pilgrimage
Duration Special, Ranged, Rank Priest
This spell enables a character to improve their relationship with a deity by undertaking a journey to a site with religious significance. The spell is cast as a blessing when the pilgrims begin their journey, affecting one participant per point of Magnitude. While on pilgrimage, each participant gains one extra Improvement Roll per week of travel in addition to any others earned during the journey. This bonus Improvement Roll may only be spent on the Piety or Pact skills. The longer and more arduous the journey, the more the pilgrim's faith will be strengthened by the pilgrimage. In some ways, the length of time taken to complete the journey is more important than the distance traveled – characters who use magic to shorten the journey will not benefit from the pilgrimage in the same way as those who perform the journey on foot. However, the intention of the pilgrims is also important – participants who dawdle or take side-trips for secular reasons automatically lose the benefits of the spell (GM's discretion). In any case, the spell lasts for a maximum duration of one week per point of Magnitude.
Exubae
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Exubae » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:16 am

On first glance Pilgrimage looks ok; though I would enforce that the improvement rolls may only be spent on skills, etc that are associated with the cult.
However it does feel a little like a 'heroquest' in the mundane world and in some respects I can't see why a version of the spell couldn't be available for Sorcery and as a power from a Spirit.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Exubae wrote:On first glance Pilgrimage looks ok; though I would enforce that the improvement rolls may only be spent on skills, etc that are associated with the cult.
I've made it even more restrictive than this - rather than allowing characters to improve any cult skill, I only allow them to improve those that reflect a deepening of their relationship with their deity (i.e. Piety or Pact, depending upon the version of Divine Magic that you are using). This approach was influenced by medieval Christian notions of pilgrimage as well as the Islamic concept of the Hajj. I was also thinking of the Japanese TV show "Monkey" from the 1980s where the unlikely pilgrims undergo gradual spiritual improvement in the course of their journey (I still love that show so much!)
Exubae wrote:However it does feel a little like a 'heroquest' in the mundane world and in some respects I can't see why a version of the spell couldn't be available for Sorcery and as a power from a Spirit.
There might be spells for those types of magic with similar mechanics, but the flavour would need to be very different.
dreamer_prophet
Weasel

Postby dreamer_prophet » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

The following are some example demons/ entities that can be used in conjunction with the Summon/ Evoke/ Adjure spells I posted earlier.

They were designed to be employed by Gloranthan Malkioni Sorcerers, hence the allusions to Law, Infinity, Magic and Mastery. I Included an air demon as I thought it would be the kind of thing a magical seafaring culture would want to use. Anyway, hopeully someone will find them to be useul:

Demon of Magic (Communication between Worlds, Personal Power) Intensity 2.
STR 7, CON 7, SIZ 7, INT 7, POW 10 (13), DEX 7, CHA 7; CA 2, SR 7, MP 10, HP Head 3, L Arm 2, R Arm 2, Chest 5, Abdm 4, L Leg 3, R Leg 3; Spirit Damage 1D2, Persistence 65%, Spirit Walking 20%, Spirit Binding 20%, Melee 14%, Ranged 14%.
Common Magic 20%: Countermagic, Second Sight
Grimoire 64 %, Manipulation 70% Sorcery: Castback, Enhance Power, Mystic Vision.
Lore 64%, Pact 57% (3 points of dedicated POW) Divine Magic: Absorption, Amplify, Elemental Summoning

Eidolon of Infinity (Eternity Unbounded, Invulnerability to Magic) Intensity 3.
STR 11, CON 11, SIZ 11, INT 11, POW 13 (17), DEX 11, CHA 11; CA 2, SR 11, MP 13, HP Head 5, L Arm 4, R Arm 4 Chest 7, Abdm 6, L Leg 5, R Leg 5; Spirit Damage 1D4, Persistence 68%, Spirit Walking 28%, Spirit Binding 28%, Melee 22%, Ranged 22%.
Common Magic 28%: Multimissile, Countermagic, Countermagic Shield,
Grimoire 100%, Manipulation 100% Sorcery: Castback, Neutralize Magic, Spell Resistance.
Lore 97%, Pact 86% (4 points of dedicated POW) Divine Magic: Dismiss Magic, Extension, Meditate, Reflection.

Genius of Law (Universal Principals, Logic, Wizardry) Intensity 2.
STR 7, CON 7, SIZ 7, INT 7, POW 10 (13), DEX 7, CHA 7; CA 2, SR 7, MP 10, HP Head 3, L Arm 2, R Arm 2, Chest 5, Abdm 4, L Leg 3, R Leg 3; Spirit Damage 1D2, Persistence 65%, Spirit Walking 20%, Spirit Binding 20%, Melee 14%, Ranged 14%.
Common Magic 20%: Bearing Witness, Second Sight
Grimoire 64 %, Manipulation 70% Sorcery: Abjure Emotion or Passion, Enhance Intelligence, Mystic Vision.
Lore 64%, Pact 57% (3 points of dedicated POW) Divine Magic: Blessing (Grimoire, Manipulation), Heal Mind, Soul Sight.

Eudemon of Mastery (Authority, Leadership, Sovereignty) Intensity 3.
STR 11, CON 11, SIZ 11, INT 11, POW 13 (17), DEX 11, CHA 11; CA 2, SR 11, MP 13, HP Head 5, L Arm 4, R Arm 4 Chest 7, Abdm 6, L Leg 5, R Leg 5; Spirit Damage 1D4, Persistence 68%, Spirit Walking 28%, Spirit Binding 28%, Melee 22%, Ranged 22%.
Common Magic 28%: Abacus, Repair, Understanding.
Grimoire 100%, Manipulation 100% Sorcery: Banish, Dominate, Enhance Charisma, Spirit Resistance.
Lore 97%, Pact 86% (4 points of dedicated POW) Divine Magic: Blessing (Persistence, Resilience), Dismiss Elemental, Exorcism, Spirit Block.

Arachula, Demon of the Air (Breath, Violence, Weather, Storm, Wind) Intensity 3.
Common Magic 28%: Skybolt, Speedart, Thunder’s Voice
Grimoire 100%, Manipulation 100%, Sorcery: Animate Air, Fly, Form/ Set Air.
Lore 97%, Pact 86%, Divine Magic: Call Winds, Clear Skies, Elemental Summoning (Sylph), Rain.
Last edited by dreamer_prophet on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:40 pm

dreamer_prophet wrote:The following are some example demons/ entities that can be used in conjunction with the Summon/ Evoke/ Adjure spells I posted earlier.
Very nice! It's ironic, but I've also been thinking about pulling together a couple of generic summonable entities - the random demon generation tables in Blood Magic are nice, but if you use them regularly the game will grind to a halt each time a sorcerer attempts to summon anything! One of the advantages that the Elric RPG has in this area is the fact that it offers a range of interesting pre-generated summonable entities. I was thinking of doing something similar, but sticking fairly close to "generic" fantasy tropes - a succubus / incubus, a demonic knight in black plate armour, a Lovecraftian horror from beyond space and time, etc. I suspect that a selection of such creatures might be useful to some GMs...
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I guess that different GMs do things in different styles, but if I'm running a game then I do some planning regarding the way things may go. I might work out some plot points that might come up during the game with links between them (if the players do X then Y happens and Z heads for location Q taking his troops with him, sort of thing).

I really don't allow the game flow to be broken up by finding things in the rulebook even monsters or even semi-important NPCS. I never start rolling on tables in game unless its something like a rumour table and that's usually as a last resort if I can't think of anything straight away.

I always have a sheet of generic mooks/grunts/wild animals (I stat them up and have a table with NPC number 1 through 10, General HP, Critical wounds and Status effects to match the rules on p 146/147. They get their skills listed and often the combat info from the monster rulebook). These get reused for bandits. street thugs, town guard by adjusting armour values to suit the people being modelled.

I have a sheet for each major NPC with their stats, skills and spells all together so I know how the behave and what actions they might take.

I find the move to PDFs for rulebooks etc. very useful as I can now copy and paste into a game specific document only the information I need.

I pull out player handouts for things like the composition of the crew on their ship or the caravan, the look of the ship or the city they're in. This gives them something to focus on and enables me to add in plot hooks if I need to. In my current game a PC died trying to single-handedly fight a stoorworm that had taken his named spear into its burrow. The character was replaced by a semi-statted NPC who had been with the party as one of the extras that are usually in the background except to carry things or get eaten. So he had the in-game knowledge of what had gone on before without an elaborate back-story about joining the group, just being inspired to step up from mook to fully fledged PC.
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:
dreamer_prophet wrote:the random demon generation tables in Blood Magic are nice, but if you use them regularly the game will grind to a halt each time a sorcerer attempts to summon anything!
Are there demonic tables in Blood Magic? I'll have to have a look at them and try to generate a whole load of them (D20xD100) to make it easier to use them.
Prime_Evil wrote:I was thinking of doing something similar, but sticking fairly close to "generic" fantasy tropes - a succubus / incubus, a demonic knight in black plate armour, a Lovecraftian horror from beyond space and time, etc. I suspect that a selection of such creatures might be useful to some GMs...
Merrie England has some summonable demons, with stats. They are for BRP but could be used with Legend easily enough.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:07 am

soltakss wrote:Merrie England has some summonable demons, with stats. They are for BRP but could be used with Legend easily enough.
I'd forgotten about those - I'll take a look. I've also got the old MRQ I version, which might help with the conversion process...
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 am

Here's another idea for a new divine spell:

Marriage
Duration (Special), Touch, Rank Priest
This spell is cast during a marriage ceremony to bless the union of the couple. The newly married couple may choose a single benefit from the list below to reflect the consecration of the marriage by their deity:
  • Attraction: The couple retain a deep physical attraction to each other after marriage. Each receives a +20% bonus to Seduction rolls made against their partner for the duration of the marriage.
  • Fertility: The chance of pregnancy as a result of sexual intercourse between the couple is increased by 20% and any Resilience rolls required to avoid complications during childbirth receive a similar bonus.
  • Fidelity: The couple find it easy to remain faithful to each other, both receiving a +20% bonus to Persistence rolls to resist temptation from members of the opposite sex for the duration of the marriage.
  • Harmony: The couple rarely argue and can quickly resolve most disagreements. Each partner receives a +20% bonus to Influence rolls made against the other for the duration of the marriage.
  • Honesty: The couple find it difficult to deceive each other. Each receives a +20% bonus to Insight rolls to determine whether their partner is lying or being evasive for the duration of the marriage.
  • Longevity: The couple may reroll any failed aging rolls and select the better of the two rolls For the duration of the marriage.
  • Luck: The couple are lucky and things seem to turn out well for them most of the time. Each of them receives 1d4 Hero Points that may only be spent in ways that directly benefit their partner (GM's discretion).
  • Prosperity: The business affairs of the married couple prosper, bringing wealth and worldly success. The couple receive a +20% bonus to Evaluate and Commerce rolls when purchasing goods for their household.
Note that a married couple may only receive the benefit of a single casting of this spell for the entire duration of the marriage. The spell must be cast during the marriage ceremony itself or it will
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 pm

NICE! I really like the idea of a consecrated marriage blessed by the diety. Most poor people would not be able to have their marriage blessed in such a way, or perhaps could afford to have it done later.

Of course, they would have to agree on the form of the blessing and that could be an adventure all to itself! :lol:
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Of course, they would have to agree on the form of the blessing and that could be an adventure all to itself! :lol:
"Honey, I think we should pray for prosperity so that we can afford a better house..."
"But I want children as soon as possible!"