Saurians and Serpent People - Our Favourite Poikilotherms

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
caul
Shrew

Re: Saurians and Serpent People - Our Favourite Poikilotherm

Postby caul » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Great work on reptilians, have to compare with mine when I get home. Also, on the kobold bit, it was only with D&D 3.0+ that kobolds became draconian in nature. 2nd ed. and earlier they are smaller dog-like cousins of gnolls IIRC.
Rules are for children. This is war, and in war the only crime is to lose. - Joe Abercrombie, Last Argument of Kings
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 pm

caul wrote:Great work on reptilians, have to compare with mine when I get home. Also, on the kobold bit, it was only with D&D 3.0+ that kobolds became draconian in nature. 2nd ed. and earlier they are smaller dog-like cousins of gnolls IIRC.
In the fist AD&D (1977) kobolds were reptilians as well.

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)
Meep Meep
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit
Mongoose

Postby HalfOrc HalfBiscuit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 am

warlock1971 wrote:
alex_greene wrote:Would you like to know more? :D

Reptilians in Legend, by Alex Greene, First Draft, on 4shared

Same document, first draft, posted to BRP Central

Have fun playing with your serpents. Just give me feedback where possible. Corrections sent to me by PM only. As with my other work, Potion Creation In Legend, still available online, I'll notify you all here on the Mongoose boards of any revisions to the basic article.
Thanks for for sharing Alex!
+1
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit
Mongoose

Postby HalfOrc HalfBiscuit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 am

Mixster wrote:
caul wrote:Great work on reptilians, have to compare with mine when I get home. Also, on the kobold bit, it was only with D&D 3.0+ that kobolds became draconian in nature. 2nd ed. and earlier they are smaller dog-like cousins of gnolls IIRC.

Well that's a matter of interpretation. The 1e AD&D Monster Manual does not actually describe them as reptilian. The description refers to their "hide" and says they have no hair. The illustrations do depict them as scaly - but then there are mammals with scales, like armadillos and pangolins.

The 2e AD&D Monstrous Compendium specifically refers to them as "humanoids", and while it still also refers to "scaly hides", the illustration is not very reptilian at all.

It really was only with 3e D&D that they became explicitly reptilian.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:04 pm

HalfOrc HalfBiscuit wrote:
Mixster wrote:

The 2e AD&D Monstrous Compendium specifically refers to them as "humanoids", and while it still also refers to "scaly hides", the illustration is not very reptilian at all.
Humanoid and Reptillian are hardly mutually exclusive in D&D, or even in this thread.
Meep Meep
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:43 pm

My only negative comment would be about the TITLE.

I think using "x of Legend" is a BAD idea. That seems to be the official Mongoose format for titles and I wouldn't want you to get into trouble for that.

Perhaps we need to come up with a new way to reference OGL products for Legend (at least the free ones people are making here).

What about "Legendary x" or "Legends of x"

That way we/you are not stepping on Mongoose's toes (or webbed feet for you Gloriantha folks!)

So a compilation of all the Common Magic Spells could be called "Legendary Common Magic" or "Legends of Common Magic" or whatever...
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Point noted and taken. I have a new article in progress right now, and I will give it a title appropriate to the subject and theme, although I do have to state "for use with Legend" somewhere on the title page.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:26 pm

I just got asked why Ministers, Preceptors and Queens don't have combat stats.

First, characters would have to fight through an entire colony of Saurians to get to them. Second, they are so much smarter than humans and will have laid plenty of obstacles in their way.

Third ... did I mention that Queens and Ministers are former Sports, and that Sports can learn combat styles? They don't exactly lose those skills when they become Queens and Ministers.

They just become far more efficient at defeating their enemies, in many other ways other than just swinging bits of wood and iron around.

Remember the bit about Builders being masters of enchantments? Now a natural AP due to scaly armour is very nice, but then so's the Armouring Enchantment ...
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]