Improvised Book Cover For (Of?) Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Improvised Book Cover For (Of?) Legend

Postby alex_greene » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Since getting my physical copy of Legend, I've looked for some sort of jacket to protect it from the elements and rough handling. Quite by chance I found that one of my old removable notebook covers JUST fits the core rulebook inside, so I've now given my core rulebook a new home.

Exterior shot:-

Interior shot 1:-

Interior shot 2:-

What do you think?

Do you think that Mongoose could sell merch like dust jackets for their Legend books? Think there's a possible market for it? Discuss.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
ThomasKromke
Cub

Re: Improvised Book Cover For (Of?) Legend

Postby ThomasKromke » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:14 pm

That was a cool idea.
I would buy!
Guernicus
Shrew

Postby Guernicus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 pm

So do I.
It's a great idea.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:40 pm

For Legend to become a stable and strong product, the company needs now to look at creating Legend merch. Mugs and other swag with the Legend logo are good, but book covers bearing the Legend logo would really hit the spot.

Long term, of course, there will need to be an official setting, which means miniatures and signature characters.

But starting with something like this, with an official embossed Legend logo say, would get the merchandising marketing thing off to a strong start. Protecting the books while at the same time providing strong branding and product identification.

Something to think on.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:15 am

I don't know about you chaps over the seas and far away. But down here in Oz there are leather workers who sell at markets, funnily enough, leather note books of a comparable size to the Legend product. These are emblazoned with Mystic Symbols, Celtic Knots, Dragons and such. I wonder...

BTW, one my friend ordered in the Core book with the colour cover, it's not that bad IMO.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:20 am

alex_greene wrote:
Long term, of course, there will need to be an official setting, which means miniatures and signature characters.
Nuera from Wraith Recon would be my vote! They already own the IP. Dandarrick is covered by WR, but the rest of the world is open slather. It's a High Fantasy world so the Core rules would fit nicely. just MO.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 am

I've been trying to do this for my own copy. I have yet to find a decent slip cover. I'm considering sewing one out of cloth.
sdavies2720
Banded Mongoose

Postby sdavies2720 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:18 pm

DamonJynx wrote:...BTW, one my friend ordered in the Core book with the colour cover, it's not that bad IMO.
I wonder how the two covers are selling relative to each other. Can anyone at Mongoose confirm?

I'm curious if the readers of this forum (who overpoweringly disliked the color version) represent the market as a whole.

Steve
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 am

I thought the solid black cover looked really classy, and all my gaming friends agreed. Its the one I bought & preferred; I dont think my friends have even seen the other cover though.
Withered
Cub

Postby Withered » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 am

I am ordering copies of the core book for my group in the next month or so, and putting it inside a cool cover like that would be a nice bonus.

Can you tell me the size of the over you used, or at least the size of the book?
The site says digest sized, but that seems fairly vague. and the cover i have does not seem to want to fit onto the pdf for some reason.

Thanks for the great idea.

L.
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 am

The book has 5.5x8.5in pages. I dont have a ruler with me to measure how thick it is but if I were to guess I'd say its about 3/4 of an inch thick.
jux
Stoat

Postby jux » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:24 am

My physical book arrived yesterday. Do others also find that the book in the center is hard to read (see pic nr 2 and 3 here). One must really bend it to get to see what is written there. Small things, but big difference.
Last edited by jux on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 am

Now that you mention it, the inside margins would be better if they were a bit bigger.

Personally its the lack of an index that nags at me. The PDF Could have better bookmarks for finding things as well.

Still a great book, but there are a few areas I think it could have been better.
jux
Stoat

Postby jux » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:35 am

Agreed on lack of index and proper bookmarks.
strega
Banded Mongoose

Postby strega » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 am

Somewhere I found a one page pdf index for MRQII so I went through Legend and added the page numbers from that to the pdf. Works a treat.

Not having an index is a problem. Having a pdf for its searchability ... priceless!

Nigel
My Getting started with Legend file including a suggested starting adventure.

My Romano-British Game setting.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:14 pm

For the record, today I bought a cover for my copy of Arms of Legend as well. I'll probably get one for Arcania of Legend: Blood Magic, if and when I get a hardcopy of it.
Philotomy
Shrew

Postby Philotomy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:39 am

sdavies2720 wrote:
DamonJynx wrote:...BTW, one my friend ordered in the Core book with the colour cover, it's not that bad IMO.
I wonder how the two covers are selling relative to each other. Can anyone at Mongoose confirm?

I'm curious if the readers of this forum (who overpoweringly disliked the color version) represent the market as a whole.
I'd be interested in the answer to that question, too.