Legend's Guild of Assassins

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Fonso
Stoat

Legend's Guild of Assassins

Postby Fonso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

In Legend Core Book, the Guild of Assassins has the same cult skills than the Order of Black Serpent.

Is it right?

I guess it should be similar but I doubt they teach the same grimoire.
Orgulloso colaborador de Traduciendo Rol.
¡Traveller y Paranoia en castellano!

http://traduciendorol.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Traducien ... 6964758706
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Legend's Guild of Assassins

Postby Hopeless » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 am

Well okay maybe having a generic name will mean it'll used more so they could be the Black Diamond thieves guild or any name a gm would care to give them.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 pm

The concept of an assassins' guild is so generic that you could probably copypasta from one faction to pretty much any other faction.

I'd like to see one constructed with a bit more ... flair.

Thank you, however, for bringing this up. Worth looking into.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:40 am

Are you familiar with Shadowyn films?

They're currently doing a series of short films based around a fantasy concept some have a decided link to Greyhawk but recently they posted on their facebook page about doing a new movie involving a dwarf and an assassin well they posted two images and the assassin was wearing a half face mask so his lower jaw was showing.

It just struck me this might have some of that flair you were talking about and I wanted to find out what you'd have your own assassin's guild would exhibit?
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:29 pm

The Repairers of Reputations

Everyone knows of someone who will kill undesirable people for a price. People set themselves up as assassins, and even form guilds of thugs; but whether they wield stilettos with the precision of scalpels or just corner their targets in a back alley with swords or clubs, a brute is a brute is a brute - and sooner or later, their trade comes back to haunt them.

The Repairers of Reputations is something else. Among all the assassins and murderers of the world, the Repairers have one overarching goal. Reputation, and its preservation. They are very selective in their clientele: clients must have something to lose, nothing to gain, and enough money to pay the often exorbitant fees the Repairers require. The price is worth it.

The Repairers' philosophy is simple. Minimise collateral damage. Don't kill subordinates. A mission that can be completed without killing is better than a mission that ends with a dead target, even if the pay is better for a sanction.

The Repairers aren't easy to contact. They usually contact their potential clients, usually turning up unannounced when the client is alone. How they know of a client with needs is a mystery, though dark rumours of sorcery and even worse magics abound.

The Repairers know of these rumours, and they don't care. In fact, they encourage the spread of some of them - after all, they too have a reputation to maintain.

Membership

Novice
Novices don't learn any Sorcery or the Lore (Alchemy) skill. They must have any three of Athletics, Acrobatics, Evade, Influence, Insight, Perception and Unarmed at the base chance, at the least. They must undertake at least one non-lethal mission a year. Novices must also have a clean slate - they must not have killed before joining the Guild.

Apprentice
Apprentices must have five of the guild skills at 30% at least and must make themselves available for one mission per year. These are generally non-lethal, but at the end of their tenure as Apprentices they may open Sorcery (Black Book of Night) and Manipulation if they pass a test.

The test is simple. They are given a living target to kill. And they must kill that target without hesitation or questioning. If they balk at this test or attempt to murder the target directly, they fail the test and remain Apprentices forever. If they find a cunning and inventive solution, they pass the test and can open Sorcery (Black Book of Night) and Manipulation. If they find a cunning solution which allows the target to live, they are given a commendation and the costs for training Guild skills are halved.

Journeymen
Journeymen assassins must have five of the guild skills at 50% at least. They must be available for one mission per three months. About half of these missions could have a lethal conclusion: the Guild rules specify that such "sanctions" must look like accidents. Some missions may require some form of long-term infiltration: Journeymen are taught what skills they need to prepare them for such missions, and are encouraged to open as many skills as possible during Down Time, particularly skills such as Dance, Sing and Seduction.

Masters
Master Assassins must have five of the guild skills at 75% and at least one of the Heroic Abilities taught by the guild. They must spend at least six months of the year in residence at one of the guild’s secret strongholds. At least 75% of the interventions performed at this rank are "sanctions."

Grand Master
The Grand Master must have at least five of the guild skills at 90% and obtain three of the Heroic Abilities. The Grand Master dwells in the guild’s headquarters.

Guild Skills
The guild offers training in: Athletics, Acrobatics, Craft (Poison), Dance, Evade, Lore (Alchemy), Influence, Insight, Persistence, Resilience, Sleight, Stealth, Unarmed, any Dagger style, Any Bow style, Sorcery (Black Book of Night) and Manipulation. Other skills such as Drive, Ride, Seduction and so on can be taught as Guild skills as necessary to fulfil a mission.

Sorcery (Black Book of Night): Attract (Misfortune), Castback, Enhance Dex, Enhance Int, Enhance Cha, Intuition, Smother, Telepathy, Teleport, Wrack

Heroic Abilities: Arrow Cutting, Heroic Aura, Linguist, Poison Immunity, Wall Leaping
Last edited by alex_greene on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 am

I hope that this is flair enough. :)
Fonso
Stoat

Postby Fonso » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 am

I like it, alex_greene.

I wondered if there had been any official response that I had passed. Now I find another faction to replace it :shock: Thus is a pleasure to ask. Thanks!
Orgulloso colaborador de Traduciendo Rol.
¡Traveller y Paranoia en castellano!

http://traduciendorol.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Traducien ... 6964758706