Creatures of Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Big Orc
Stoat

Creatures of Legend

Postby Big Orc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 pm

I have read the above mentioned book and there are some creatures missing, such as Broo, is there any intention of publishing them in the future?
Listern, whatever is behind this door I can handle it....... aggggghhhhh
Cyporiean
Mongoose

Re: Creatures of Legend

Postby Cyporiean » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Broo are a Glorantha species, and thus are not a part of Legend.
-Emily Fontana
On The Lamb Games
Writer for Brushfire, Historia Rodentia

Historia Rodentia (Legend supplement) now Shipping! Grab the PDF!
Big Orc
Stoat

Postby Big Orc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

That explains Broo. What about the rest?
Cyporiean
Mongoose

Postby Cyporiean » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Broo, Scorpionmen, Ducks, Aldryami, Mostali, Uz, and Dragonewts are all Glorantha creatures.

What else is missing?
-Emily Fontana
On The Lamb Games
Writer for Brushfire, Historia Rodentia

Historia Rodentia (Legend supplement) now Shipping! Grab the PDF!
yojimbo
Weasel

Postby yojimbo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 am

Although I don't have Monsters of Legend comparing the index with Monster Coliseum adds these entries to those already mentioned. I've included their origins to distinguish why some were left out (IP issues) although it doesn't explain all of them.

Gwenthia: Iqari

Glorantha: Bolo Lizard, Demi-Bird, Dragonsnail, Gorp, Grotaron, Jack o' Bear, Karrg Beetle, Morokanth, Newtling, Scorpion Man, Slarge, Timinit, Walktapus

Myth & Legend: Stoorworm, Chonchon, Fachan

Unknown: Grampus, Headhanger

I think the Stoorworm has been renamed Wurm. I'm not sure why as the Stoorworm is from Scottish legend so should be public domain. Similarly for Chonchon (Chile) and Fachan (Scottish).

I also don't see why Ducks are considered Gloranthan IP as anthropomorphic water fowl are clearly stolen from/inspired by Howard the Duck and Donald Duck. I should note that Duck and Headhanger are listed in BRP Creatures which is the RQ3's Creatures book stripped of all Gloranthan IP.

Jim.
Mikko Leho
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mikko Leho » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:42 am

Scorpion men are from Babylonian mythology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpion_man

And while demi-birds are probably older, you could have "re-imagined" or re-named them something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocobo
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 am

Scorpion Men - I asked some time ago what the position is on Scorpion Men, and was told they are Glorantha-exclusive. I'm aware of the the ancient near eastern origin, but thought it best to excise some that were in AoT original draft to save hassle at that point. I'd probably put them back in at a future date but rewrite stats ground up.

Grampus - this is a giant grampus, also known as a vinegaroon or whipscorpion, just as a Giant Scorpion is a giant scorpion. So it's just a real world bug made giant. It's also in AoT - I hadn't realised it was dropped from MoL as AoT went to press before it was compiled, so that's something I'll need to put in the AoT companion as an erratum (alongside elementals, which are also missing)
Age of Treason: THE IRON COMPANION out now!
Check out the Age of Treason blog at http://www.draconianpress.net/ageoftreason
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am

You would have to base your Scorpion-men on that historical/mythological origin (or make them from scratch), but you would also have to be careful to make sure you didn't use the Gloriantha-specific stuff.

Mythology has a LOT of creatures that could be generalized for Creatures of Legend... Write them up and submit it to Matt and see what happens!
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose

Postby Nickbergquist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:06 pm

A lot of the Gloranthan monsters are analogs to existing mythological monsters or creatures that have appeared in similar form in fiction, so I'm really hoping that a more distinct MoL II comes out soon that introduces Legend-specific iterations of these creatures.

Broo, for example, have an analog in D&D called Ibixians, and the idea of beastmen is nothing new to fantasy.

Slaarg were a useful lizardfolk fill-in, but now Legend needs actual lizardmen to replace them. Also, serpent men (who have been surprisingly under-represnted, given how prominent they are in the kind of pulp fantasy that Legend fits so well with).

The disappearance of dragonnewts has left us with gaps for more lizardfolk-like monsters, including kobold-type-thingies that 1st stage dragonnewts worked well as, and then second and third stage dragonnewts (dragon men).

Some things are way too Glorantha-specific to be translatable, I guess; I love the walktapus and jack-o-bear, but I guess I'll just hang onto my Monster Coliseum for their stats.
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012 ... ullen.html
Big Orc
Stoat

Postby Big Orc » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 am

Can someone tell me where the Stats for Beastmen can be found in Legend? They are mentioned in both the CRB and MoL, but I can find no details. Have I missed something or will they be in a future publication?
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:28 am

We definitely need Lizardmen, Serpent People, elementals, Pegasi, Hellhounds and rules on creating monsters for one's own settings.

Also, we need more solid - pardon the expression - rules for spirits. Elementals in particular. I want to see the difference between basic elementals and elemental spirits as described in the spirit magic supplement.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:58 pm

I've been assembling a list of the creatures needed for the swords & sorcery campaign setting that I am working on - which includes such things as animated stone idols, bat demons, and carnivorous apes. I'm also assembling a list of useful generic NPCS, which range from Amazon Priestess to Mercenary Veteran to Pirate Captain :)
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Prime_Evil wrote:I'm also assembling a list of useful generic NPCS, which range from Amazon Priestess to Mercenary Veteran to Pirate Captain :)
Atm, I'm writing a rather complete set of horror story scenarios, wherein such things as doctors, butchers and bankers will also have stats. I guess I'm uploading them to somewhere when they are done, so there's a few more NPCs to choose from.
Meep Meep
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:07 am

You might want to check out my website come Monday morning. Just saying. :wink:
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am

Hmm.

Many of these monsters being mentioned are written up OGL-Style in D&D; which makes them free to use.

All the Monsters in the Pathfinder Books are OGC; if one is looking for a source of monster ideas which can be easily used.
Darkholme
Stoat

Postby Darkholme » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm

dmmccoy: What was supposed to happen yesterday?
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Darkholme wrote:dmmccoy: What was supposed to happen yesterday?
This happened. :wink: