Monsters of Legend Update

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14741
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Monsters of Legend Update

Postby msprange » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:34 pm

You can now download an update for Monsters of Legend free, which gives some proper stats for Ogres and adds a few new options. It can be grabbed at;

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... egend.html
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3786
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby alex_greene » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Very nice. I'd just bought the PDF on Sunday night and received the notice about the update from the vendor I bought it from the day after.

I'd have got the hardcopy book as well from my FLGS yesterday, if they'd had a copy there. I decided that just getting my hardcopy of Legend core would have to do for the day.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 am
Location: South West UK

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby Stainless » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 pm

It has to be asked. Will this update be incorporated in the next printing of the book?
Cowboy
Mongoose
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby Cowboy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Will these errata be incorporated into the PDF of the book? And if so, will I be able to download an updated version of the PDF (that I got through the bits'n'mortar program - not through a dedicated PDF vendor like DTRPG)? Because having a corrected PDF on my iPad would really be much more convenient than having the original PDF and a saparate errata document.

Deviating a bit from this purely practical concern, I can't hep but notice that this ogre is still very Gloranthaish: Human-size and of human intelligence, not the big, dumb brute that we're used to ogres being in other games (and which I'd frankly prefer as that is what I associate with the word "ogre").
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3786
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby alex_greene » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Cowboy wrote:Deviating a bit from this purely practical concern, I can't hep but notice that this ogre is still very Gloranthaish: Human-size and of human intelligence, not the big, dumb brute that we're used to ogres being in other games (and which I'd frankly prefer as that is what I associate with the word "ogre").
You mean you want him all green and ugly? With a runty, talking donkey companion?
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3133
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 5:08 pm

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby tneva82 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:25 pm

alex_greene wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Deviating a bit from this purely practical concern, I can't hep but notice that this ogre is still very Gloranthaish: Human-size and of human intelligence, not the big, dumb brute that we're used to ogres being in other games (and which I'd frankly prefer as that is what I associate with the word "ogre").
You mean you want him all green and ugly? With a runty, talking donkey companion?
I don't think he's refering to orcs but ones that are generally bigger than orcs.

And yeah when I too think of ogres I'm not generally thinking human sized creatures. But each to his own :) If I want I can simply rename these ogres something else and create new stats for my taste of ogres.
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

You can't be friend with everybody but you can be friendly to everybody
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3786
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby alex_greene » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:06 pm

tneva82 wrote:
alex_greene wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Deviating a bit from this purely practical concern, I can't hep but notice that this ogre is still very Gloranthaish: Human-size and of human intelligence, not the big, dumb brute that we're used to ogres being in other games (and which I'd frankly prefer as that is what I associate with the word "ogre").
You mean you want him all green and ugly? With a runty, talking donkey companion?
And yeah when I too think of ogres I'm not generally thinking human sized creatures. But each to his own :) If I want I can simply rename these ogres something else and create new stats for my taste of ogres.
Seriously, Shrek from those execrable cartoons is an ogre, which is another word for troll, aka giant. They're all the same species - orcs are an invention of Tolkien, and before his arrival there were basically just giants, trolls and ogres, with the occasional Icelandic draugr mentioned - but all the mythologies are about the same thing: the big, ugly, stupid creatures ... that the Greeks called the Titans.

The oldest gods are always thus painted as the next epoch's monsters and ugly beasts, and gradually they shrink in size from creatures big enough to form an entire world from their earwax through to just being mountainous, then ultimately mansion - sized, house - sized and eventually the size of that ugly big dude just down the word who's built like a brick latrine, and who plays prop forward with the local rugby crowd every Sunday in the sports field round the back.

The further forward the myths come, the more we couch them in the language of the modern day.

Now imagine an ogre. Svelte, sophisticated, gorgeous - drop-dead gorgeous - but with strength enough to pin down a man twice her size, teeth and jaws powerful enough to bite through a merchantman's hawser ... and a literal insatiable appetite for, er BICEP! *wipes sweat off brow*

She could eat her way through an army, literally, and somehow not put on an ounce around her perfect wasp waist.

Now imagine her smiling and casually telling the characters "I would love to have you over for dinner some time."

Thanks, Glorantha, for making ogres sexy. *grins with slightly too sharp teeth*
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:00 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby Nickbergquist » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Bumping this....still hoping for word on whether or not subsequent printings of the Monsters of Legend book incorporate the missing errata.
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012 ... ullen.html
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14741
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby msprange » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:00 pm

They certainly will do, as we update our files with the printers immediatly - I'll have to look in as to whether we have actually done a reprint yet (the first run was quite extensive).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Prime_Evil
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1496
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby Prime_Evil » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:16 pm

msprange wrote:They certainly will do, as we update our files with the printers immediatly - I'll have to look in as to whether we have actually done a reprint yet (the first run was quite extensive).
It's a very good sign for the commercial viability of the system if you are already looking at reprints. :D

It's amazing that the core rulebook hasn't dropped out of the top three products on DriveThruRPG since it was released - and keeps grabbing the top spot most of the time. I can't think of another product that's dominated the PDF market for so long...
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:00 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby Nickbergquist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:41 am

msprange wrote:They certainly will do, as we update our files with the printers immediatly - I'll have to look in as to whether we have actually done a reprint yet (the first run was quite extensive).

Cool! It's good to hear. I'll keep my 1st edition copy for quick reference at the game table, and snag a 2nd printing when it becomes available.
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012 ... ullen.html
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby danskmacabre » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:50 pm

I bought the hardcopy of the Monsters of legend.
Is there a possibility to download the pdf for free or do I need to purchase that separately?
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:00 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Monsters of Legend Update

Postby warlock1971 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:52 am

danskmacabre wrote:I bought the hardcopy of the Monsters of legend.
Is there a possibility to download the pdf for free or do I need to purchase that separately?
I downloaded it for free from the web site.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests