Dual wielding

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Re: Dual wielding

Postby Mugen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Mixster wrote:
Greg Smith wrote:Samurai of the Tokugawa era tended to wear two swords - katana and wakazashi. Not sure if they used them together. They were known as daisho, meaning long and short, IIRC.
I'd think they did, since "the Book of Five Rings" speaks about how to use both together. However, there is no mention of using two "long-swords"
The writer of the Book of Five Rings, Miyamoto Musashi, was known for its two swords combat style, which is still taught nowadays.

Nevertheless, he must be seen as an exception, as japanese swordfighting heavily focuses on the katana (one- or two-handed).

As for myself, I would be in favor for increased DEX and STR requirements for the off-hand weapon. As is, the rule even forbids the use of a warsword and a short sword, as both are size "M".

As a matter of fact, I would be pleased to see a more general rule regarding STR and DEX minimums, in order that in "super-heroïc" settings, characters with stats far above human standards might even wield two greatswords at once.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Mugen wrote:As a matter of fact, I would be pleased to see a more general rule regarding STR and DEX minimums, in order that in "super-heroïc" settings, characters with stats far above human standards might even wield two greatswords at once.
The rule itself is inherently human-centric, as it is silly that a 12m giant can wield a tree trunk in his main hand but nothing larger than an 8" long dagger in his off hand.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 am

Also there is an NPC in Pavis Rises that uses two cutlasses which are medium size.