Legend Preview/RQII Changes

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Legend Preview/RQII Changes

Postby PhilHibbs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Da Boss wrote:When do you get a bonus action? When you draw it? Do lose the bonus action if you drop it? Can I start a combat round with 2 CAs but get an extra one when I pick up an additional weapon? Does fist count as an additional weapon? Do I have to have a combat style with that additional item? Can it be a pen knife?

None of these are addressed in the current, or apparently the new rule set.
...And that's a good thing. I don't want to see all those covered in a rule system.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:34 pm

duncan_disorderly wrote:
gran_orco wrote:
gran_orco wrote: You can attack only if you charge, not if you are sprinting. Read carefully.
Charging (see page XX): The character moves a total of 3x his normal Movement and
attacks along the way; sprinting does not give you this option. In the exemple, although it says that Alaric is sprinting, he is moving 8x2=16m per action, not 24 as he could do with a sprint manoeuvre.
Note: There is a difference between moving and attacking and, moving and attacking along the way.

If you are 12m away I can declare a charge, attack you and carry on to end 4m beyond you (based on 16m charge action), or I can Sprint 12m then attack - I can not continue the move beyond the attack, even though I could move further if I hadn't attacked.
This is how I read it as well, and I really like it. A tactical mounted warrior would use the charge action to ignore a potential CA advantage from an opponent.
Meep Meep
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:
Da Boss wrote:When do you get a bonus action? When you draw it? Do lose the bonus action if you drop it? Can I start a combat round with 2 CAs but get an extra one when I pick up an additional weapon? Does fist count as an additional weapon? Do I have to have a combat style with that additional item? Can it be a pen knife?

None of these are addressed in the current, or apparently the new rule set.
...And that's a good thing. I don't want to see all those covered in a rule system.
Why pray tell - these are things that players ask GMs very quickly once the game starts and some direction is useful. They are also things that have provoked lots of dicussion on the forum and no clear answer was ever obtained.

Considering how detailed some elements of the rules like charging (but very specific and hugely flawed) are - or all the rules about closing and weapon reach, some are massively vague
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Da Boss wrote:
PhilHibbs wrote:...And that's a good thing. I don't want to see all those covered in a rule system.
Why pray tell - these are things that players ask GMs very quickly once the game starts and some direction is useful. They are also things that have provoked lots of dicussion on the forum and no clear answer was ever obtained.
Because it's never come up in my game, and I could probably count the situations where it would have come up in any roleplaying game that I've ever played in 30 years on one hand.
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit
Mongoose

Postby HalfOrc HalfBiscuit » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 am

Having mulled the changes over a bit - is anyone else a little bothered by making charge sprint use all but one CAs in a round? It means that anyone with magical enhancements giving them extra CAs completely loses that benefit if they choose the charge option - which doesn't feel right to me.
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:38 am

PhilHibbs wrote:
Da Boss wrote:
PhilHibbs wrote:...And that's a good thing. I don't want to see all those covered in a rule system.
Because it's never come up in my game, and I could probably count the situations where it would have come up in any roleplaying game that I've ever played in 30 years on one hand.
It came up in my very second playtest game of RQII. PC with 2 CAs drew his sword and shield as 2 actions then asked, do I have another action now?

The answer wasn't forthcoming. I usually say yes but then tend to forget that if someone loses one of their two weapons to remind them that this means they ought now to lose an action.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:17 am

HalfOrc HalfBiscuit wrote:Having mulled the changes over a bit - is anyone else a little bothered by making charge sprint use all but one CAs in a round? It means that anyone with magical enhancements giving them extra CAs completely loses that benefit if they choose the charge option - which doesn't feel right to me.
Not really, if you have 2-3 more CAs than everybody else and you choose to charge, you likely wont be moving at your first few CA since you'll only be moving movement x3 anyway, this means that when you charge, everybody else is most likely out of CAs meaning they can't evade or counter-attack. And you would probably still be able to move past them afterwards, and there's nothing they can do about it since they are out of reach.

Imagine for example after having spend your 3 normal CAs on casting Enhance Int, Dex and Shapechange, modified by duration. The fighter is out of CAs, you then charge him, and then you move on, the fighter can't stop your wizardly display of might.
Meep Meep
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am

Mixster wrote:Imagine for example after having spend your 3 normal CAs on casting Enhance Int, Dex and Shapechange, modified by duration. The fighter is out of CAs, you then charge him, and then you move on, the fighter can't stop your wizardly display of might.
You can't cast those spells and charge in the same round though, as the sprint uses all but one of your CAs. If you have already used more than one CA, you can't choose to sprint.

I don't have a problem with this - if you have loads of CAs then it means that you can act very quickly and effectively, but if you are sprinting then you forego any complex activity. Imagine you are sprinting - now, imagine trying to do something that requires shifting your balance while still sprinting. Hard, isn't it? I might allow a player make an Athletics test to abort a sprint part way through as long as they have not yet exceeded their normal move allowance for a combat round, for instance if a comrade takes a critical wound they might do an emergency stop and cast a healing spell or attack / scare off the creature that is about to have its dinner.
funyskywalker
Cub

Postby funyskywalker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I prefer this simpler alternative:

Charge (combat action): The character uses 2 Combat Actions at once. Now he can move a total of 2x his normal Movement and attacks along the way. It does not matter if he has consumed his normal movement in previous actions, it's a new movement.