Things to do in Imryrr when you are human

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
SJE
Mongoose

Things to do in Imryrr when you are human

Postby SJE » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 pm

So, in my Elric/Inception game, the 4 PC's have arrived in the harbour of the Dreaming City and need to make their way/sneak into the Dragon Caves. We have 3 humans (Dreamthief, Sorceror/alchemist & a Champion of Law) and a half-Melnibonean native of Imryrr. What kinda encounters and things would you have them meet or overcome?

SJE
hegan
Stoat

Re: Things to do in Imryrr when you are human

Postby hegan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:19 pm

well, they may have a very short life, as only "true" Melnibonean can walk in the streets of Imrryr outside the harbour area ...

you can look on the book "Melnibone" by Chaosium (? I'm not sure)
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:31 pm

They could probably get away with it if they half the half breed play overseer and they are just slaves as they are likely to be just ignored once they get into the city.

Bright Shadows and the older Melnibone supplement both have plenty of encounters ranging from bored children wanting to try out torture techniques to exotic entertainments including floating battle barges. They could get involved with scheming slaves or walk down the wrong street and the worng time perhaps wearing the wrong colour, breaking one of the many traditons/laws of the Dragon isle. They could be set upon by pet demons or strange exotic creatures, whose owners will react badly if any harm coems to them.
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:12 pm

By sheer coincidence, I have a scenario called... 'Things to Do in Imrryr When You're Dead' which has a whole load of encounters. Its written for 'Elric!' but easilt convertible.

If anyone wants a copy, PM me.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44 pm

The old Chaosium release for Melnibone has a vast selection of little plot and encounter hooks. Can you still get it on PDF? The Mongoose one is very good also but IMO (and AFAIR) it doesn't have as much in the way of instantly usable encounters.
Getting in to the Dreaming City proper would be difficult unless you go along the slaves and overseer route. A personal invite from a high ranking noble might also get you through the gate, although discretion would have to be absolute. It begs question though,what would any self respecting high level melnibonean dignitary require from a bunch of ne'er do wells? Answer:Anything he deemed to be beneath him and his own personal involvement.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Highly recommend Loz's scenario :)
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Loz wrote:By sheer coincidence, I have a scenario called... 'Things to Do in Imrryr When You're Dead' which has a whole load of encounters. Its written for 'Elric!' but easilt convertible.

If anyone wants a copy, PM me.
It's also in the excellent Ye Booke of Tentacles V with two other Young Kingdom based scenarios and a Ranyart Finn tale.

Highly recommended !
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Did it really find its way into YBOT? I'd forgotten about that.

I've actually found a reasonably formatted PDF of the scenario and I may post it on the Design Mechanism website for ease of access.

May need to trawl my old hard drives for other gems I have lurking around. Another good Elric scenario is 'Lux Familiar' but I'm really not sure if I ever PDFed it.
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 am

Loz wrote:Did it really find its way into YBOT? I'd forgotten about that.

I've actually found a reasonably formatted PDF of the scenario and I may post it on the Design Mechanism website for ease of access.

May need to trawl my old hard drives for other gems I have lurking around. Another good Elric scenario is 'Lux Familiar' but I'm really not sure if I ever PDFed it.
I have had a great time running the Lux Familiar oneshot. I have some character portraits for the pre-gen Player Characters if anyone needs them to add to a character sheet I can forward copies.'

Lots of excellent Elric/Eternal Champion material by a certain Mr Whitaker in the following Ye Booke of Tentacles volumes (I think there are more in some other volumes, I've at least vanother volume somewhere with another Hawkmoon scenario) ~

YBoT 2 'The Eternal Kitchen Sink'
'The Legacy of Ranyart Finn'
'Significant Trees' (YK scenario)

YBoT IV
'The Scrutineers Daughter' ( a tale of Moonglum)
'Like Lovers and Heroes' & 'A Home by the Sea' ( Both YK scenarios)
'Learning to Fly' (Hawkmoon scenario)
Edition also has reprint of Adventures in Rignariom by Shannon Appelcine

YBotT V
'To Live and Die in the Hollow' a Ranyart Finn tale
Three YK Scenarios ~ 'Madness, and Other Colours', 'Things to Do in Imryyr When You're Dead'. & 'A Dragon's Dream'
SJE
Mongoose

Postby SJE » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:53 am

"A Dragons Dream" might be relevant to my interests - does it involve dreamthieves entering a Dragons dream?

Was YBOT ever published as a PDF?

Thx.

SJE
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:31 pm

'Dragon's Dream' was written for 'The Dragon Project', a short series of scenario seeds in Dragon magazine. It may be of help to you though and I've emailed you a copy.

It actually predates the invention of Dreamthieves; I think I wrote this a couple of years before Moorcock introduced dreamthieves in 'Fortress of the Pearl'.
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift