Running RQ: Game of Thrones

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Running RQ: Game of Thrones

Postby Mixster » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:46 am

Deleriad wrote:Another option (and one that slightly increases the power level of a campaign) is to add the character's base score in a skill to an improvement roll rather than adding just their INT.

E.g. If you have INT 13 and POW 8 then you add +21 to your improvement roll. This makes it slightly easier to increase skills over 100. E.g. if your POW is 16 then you would +32 to any roll to increase Persistence. This upgrades the influence of characteristics on skills quite noticeably over the medium term. It does decrease the importance of INT a little - which is maybe no bad thing seeing as it already influences CA and SR.

Given that in ASoIaF it's usually lack of awareness that's the major factor in getting you killed ("I see daggers all around you...", "whatever") then lacking POW for Insight can be kind of terminal.
I like this a lot. INT is a good enough stat as is. So it's not a big loss for you to get this, and it rewards players with high base stats so they aren't stumped faster than everybody else.

---

On the POW issue: What if you are playing with Rolled stats that you don't assign? Lets then assume that a player rolls a 16 POW. But doesn't want to be a sorcerer. Doesn't that kindda suck? Untill this character gets heroic ability. All he is is a little luckier than the guy who rolled 6

It just seems like a waste to have 6 stats that are roughly equally important to each character, and then that last stat that is rarely used.

---
Isn't insight also based on CHA? Since CHA increases your improvement modifier, doesn't this make CHA more important than POW, almost always.

---
On limiting skills. Well, yeah I guess you could do that. But assuming most rolled characters has a rather low stat of ~8, wouldn't they suffer overly by only having a max of 40% in one stat.
The 5x POW for persistence rule, doesn't really stop POW from being a dump stat. It just makes sure everybody has at least 12 POW, but there isn't much reason to get much more.
It does make spells more powerful which seem fine in aSoFaI
Meep Meep
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Regarding character generation I have decided to keep it simple, and went with it as is in the book. So far, I have the following in the group:

Player 1 Unknown
Player 2 An assassin of vague background named 'Odo'*
Player 3 A soldier of noble birth with House Stark (complete)
Player 4 'Lesser' Lannister Lord (complete)**
Player 5 Tyroshi Sellsword (incomplete)
Player 6 Unknown

*Going to ask the player to rename it in something more fitting with the book, as this name was used for a Star Trek character

**This character has quite a bit of money, and the player would like a Valyrian steel weapon. I was thinking of using the rules from the Hawkmoon first edition for adding traits, like crushing, or something.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Mage wrote: *Going to ask the player to rename it in something more fitting with the book, as this name was used for a Star Trek character
I thought Odo sounded fitting, reminded me of Hodor.
Meep Meep
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Mixster wrote:I thought Odo sounded fitting, reminded me of Hodor.
Or it could be a Dothraki name
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Sounds good enough to me, the name shall stand.
Kazako the Wake
Cub

Postby Kazako the Wake » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:55 pm

I found that RQII Empires helped me with fleshing out kingdoms. I'm going to be running a game based in Mid-World ala the Dark Tower. One of the things I wanted to institute was a downtime mechanic where the players were responsible for running, or not running, their estates. Like a Pendragon Winter Phase.
Renown is a good tool to use. I plan to use it like a skill, with both positive and negative consequences. Passions would also be a good tool in an ASOIAF game.
Good luck! Go to the Concordance for minutiae!
http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Concordance/
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 am

I plan to run a game Friday week.

One of the players changed their character from a Tyroshi Mercenary to a noble of a lesser branch of house bolton, and it came out very... interesting... at the end.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Mage wrote:One of the players changed their character from a Tyroshi Mercenary to a noble of a lesser branch of house bolton, and it came out very... interesting... at the end.
Oh, those wacky Boltons, what a bunch of laughs they are!
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 am

We will be using runequest first ed. He went with a noble for his Bolton choosing a fighting style of two one handed swords, with slightly more experienced characters, his skill in it is 104 pc or something. He rolled very Hugh stats for it too, and picked the advanced skills lore (human anatomy) and craft (torture).
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Enough fooling around, who of them makes an unsullied?

Unsullied are like the perfect Roleplaying characters, you shouldn't feel remorse, dread or anything, just kill things. Sadly you can't really loot.
Meep Meep
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:33 pm

That would be fun. If it was like a house guard that is allowed to eat he could loot to fund his eating habit.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Mixster wrote:Unsullied are like the perfect Roleplaying characters, you shouldn't feel remorse, dread or anything, just kill things.
Most players don't want to play that level of absolute loyalty though.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:19 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:
Mixster wrote:Unsullied are like the perfect Roleplaying characters, you shouldn't feel remorse, dread or anything, just kill things.
Most players don't want to play that level of absolute loyalty though.
Yeah it can't loot and it's extremely loyal. Apart from that it is the perfect munchkin character.
Meep Meep
Shambrok
Cub

Postby Shambrok » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 am

Have you read the entire series? There's about to happen big things if you start it right there, you know?
Thrasher6
Cub

Postby Thrasher6 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 am

I would definitely pick up both Clockwork & Chivalry as well as Age of Treason. Both have new social classes, professions, and rules for Alchemy and a bunch of stuff that would be appropriate to a Game of Thrones campaign. :lol: