Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

I'd love to see a supplement of lots and lots of various types of NPCs such as:
Warriors,
Barbarians,
Wizards
Brigands
Bartenders
guards
rangers
mercenaries
Rogues
Thieves
Assassins
prostitutes
Cultists

etc etc etc

All at various levels of power, with skill lists and equipment.

I would pay a sourcebook like this specifically for Legend..
I have used Dan's Eberron supplement (Thanks Dan! :) ) but I want a nice chunky sourcebook I can just pick up when I need it.

Sort of like the section at the back of the GameMastery guide of loads of NPCs for Pathfinder.
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Dan True » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:43 pm

danskmacabre wrote: I have used Dan's Eberron supplement (Thanks Dan! :) ) but I want a nice chunky sourcebook I can just pick up when I need it.

You're very welcome! My NPCs are also very Eberron-focussed.. and they might not fit any setting ;)

But yes, I would pay for such a book also. Yet another project to do if Mongoose doesn't do one :P

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 pm

I've decided to stop whining about it :D and create a table on my Wiki for my Elric campaign with statblocks plus kit.

Obviously a WIP.
User avatar
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Mixster » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:41 pm

This is a good idea, but ain't NPCs relatively easy fleshing out?

Just give them something like a 16 to 9 in order of how they prioritize their stats. And then give them skills of 50-90% in their area of expertise and 30-60% if it's a hobby of theirs. That way you can get some NPCs fleshed out pretty fast.

I wouldn't really bother with what combat styles they have even, as an individual would probably be most proficient with the weapons he carries around, so unless he is out of his element, if it's his profession to use a weapon well, he should probably have ~75% in using that weapon, and if he's just an everyday man, it will depend on the setting but he'd probbaly be at about 45% in it.
Meep Meep
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I see what you mean, but I like to see specifics like combat styles, combat skills, non-combat skills, equipment, spells, % for magic items, loot % etc etc..

I want to be able to look at a chart and have a good overview of information for when teh unexpected happens.
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Dan True » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Mixster wrote:This is a good idea, but ain't NPCs relatively easy fleshing out?

Just give them something like a 16 to 9 in order of how they prioritize their stats. And then give them skills of 50-90% in their area of expertise and 30-60% if it's a hobby of theirs. That way you can get some NPCs fleshed out pretty fast.

I wouldn't really bother with what combat styles they have even, as an individual would probably be most proficient with the weapons he carries around, so unless he is out of his element, if it's his profession to use a weapon well, he should probably have ~75% in using that weapon, and if he's just an everyday man, it will depend on the setting but he'd probbaly be at about 45% in it.
Well, for me it's not just the stats for normal random people - because really, how often do you need to know how well a prostitute fights? :P
In my view of what a book like this should be like, it would have character to the NPCs and perhaps some story elements or adventure ideas, connect to each. Under the "prositute" entry, there might be a picture you can show the players, 1-2 short possibilities of background and personality, and an adventure idea involving her scheming and selling information to local gang lords.

At least that is what I would think should be in a book, else it's mainly just a lot of stats, most of which can be eyeballed.

-Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Prime_Evil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Dan True wrote: Well, for me it's not just the stats for normal random people - because really, how often do you need to know how well a prostitute fights? :P
It depends what you did to get her angry ;)

Still...if you are providing stats for harlots, you are saying something about the kind of game world that you expect the characters to inhabit. In this case, it is a long way from the high fantasy of Tolkien and his successors. In effect, you are depicting a world closer to Fritz Leiber and Robert E. Howard - which is a good thing in my opinion, but I'm biased!
Dan True wrote: In my view of what a book like this should be like, it would have character to the NPCs and perhaps some story elements or adventure ideas, connect to each. Under the "prositute" entry, there might be a picture you can show the players, 1-2 short possibilities of background and personality, and an adventure idea involving her scheming and selling information to local gang lords.
So this would be a cross beteween the Traveller books 1,001 Characters and 760 Patrons designed for Legend?
Dan True wrote:At least that is what I would think should be in a book, else it's mainly just a lot of stats, most of which can be eyeballed.
One of the beauties of the Legend system is that it is very easy to design NPCs on the fly. But there will always be a few players out there who won't be happy unless every NPC is designed according to RAW.
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Yes it's easy enough to generate the basic stats on the fly, but if I have a prepared list of lots of options it gives more flavor for the GM to work with when describing NPCs to players. I fnd they feel a bit samey as I tend to just give them weapons, armor from 2 or 3 basic types when I build on the fly.

Also the NPC list I'm working on now will contain what weapons they use, damage, CMs, loot, armor, other notes.

I'll be creating this for Elric where it IS darker and grittier than the Core MRQ2. Humanoid opponents are more common in Elric than in MRQ2, so having a nice variety of NPCs is good for me for that reason too.
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Dan True » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:25 am

Prime_Evil wrote: Still...if you are providing stats for harlots, you are saying something about the kind of game world that you expect the characters to inhabit. In this case, it is a long way from the high fantasy of Tolkien and his successors. In effect, you are depicting a world closer to Fritz Leiber and Robert E. Howard - which is a good thing in my opinion, but I'm biased!
Isn't Rober E. Howard the scientology guy?
Prime_Evil wrote: So this would be a cross beteween the Traveller books 1,001 Characters and 760 Patrons designed for Legend?
Yep, something like that.
Prime_Evil wrote: One of the beauties of the Legend system is that it is very easy to design NPCs on the fly. But there will always be a few players out there who won't be happy unless every NPC is designed according to RAW.
Yeah, but to me the stats can easily be eyeballed. What I personally need, is help making the NPCs more interesting, and especially getting adventure ideas.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Redcrow
Mongoose
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Redcrow » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:07 am

Dan True wrote:
Isn't Rober E. Howard the scientology guy?
No, thats Ron L. Hubbard. Robert E. Howard wrote Conan, Solomon Kane & Bran Mak Morn.
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Prime_Evil » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 am

Redcrow wrote:No, thats Ron L. Hubbard. Robert E. Howard wrote Conan, Solomon Kane & Bran Mak Morn.
The idea of Conan the Scientologist is pretty awesome though :)
User avatar
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Mixster » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 am

Dan True wrote: how often do you need to know how well a prostitute fights? :P

Clearly, if you are asking this question, you're playing the wrong game.

A bunch of story hooks would be good, but I still don't get why they need to be tied into characters.
Meep Meep
Prime_Evil
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1521
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Prime_Evil » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:37 am

Mixster wrote:
Dan True wrote: how often do you need to know how well a prostitute fights? :P

Clearly, if you are asking this question, you're playing the wrong game.

A bunch of story hooks would be good, but I still don't get why they need to be tied into characters.
Obviously we need a Legend version of the infamous harlot table from the back of the 1st edition AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide? Are we talking about the fighting ability of a slovenly trull, a cheap trollop, or a wanton wench? And what combat styles would they know? (Hmmmm....dirty fighting as a new combat style...)
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Dan True » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

Redcrow wrote: No, thats Ron L. Hubbard. Robert E. Howard wrote Conan, Solomon Kane & Bran Mak Morn.
Lol.. Not the biggest Conan fan here :P
I thought you were referring to the Science Fiction book Hubbard also wrote.
Mixster wrote: Clearly, if you are asking this question, you're playing the wrong game.
Are we playing the same game? If the group we're playing now meet an ordinary prostitute - why the heck would I wan't to treat it as a fight at all? I would probably just say "splat!" or "please don't kill me"... Stats for most normal person are completely unnecessary, unless you decide to fight 15 prostitutes at once.
Mixster wrote: A bunch of story hooks would be good, but I still don't get why they need to be tied into characters.
Well, primarily because we have a lot of story hooks already spread all over the place. This way is another entry point to them, and secondly there are not only story hooks.

If we have an entry for prositute, then it also covers 1-2 possible personalities for her/him, such that I can play the role more livingly without having to come up with an interesting personality.. also, if you take a liking to him/her, I can with ease use some of the story hooks presented in her entry to give as an entrance to adventure if you decide to talk a lot ot her.

You may disagree, but I would love a book with 40-50 of such entries.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:50 am

Dan True wrote:
Redcrow wrote: Are we playing the same game? If the group we're playing now meet an ordinary prostitute - why the heck would I wan't to treat it as a fight at all? I would probably just say "splat!" or "please don't kill me"... Stats for most normal person are completely unnecessary, unless you decide to fight 15 prostitutes at once.
If this was DnD, I'd agree with this where once an Adventurer reaches around 5th level, they're more powerful than just about every named NPC in the world so there's no point in bothering with stats for the average Joe.
But Legend is different, you could easily have an adventurer that is very useful as a party member, but could be REALLY bad at fighting hand to hand (but say have great knowledge skills, spells, stealth, diplomatic skills).

Having a handy set of stats for NPCs such as prostitutes could be very useful. An encounter with one or requiring stats for one could happen quite easily.
A prostitute typically would probably have some great local knowledge skills, streetwise, maybe low level healing skills and herblore. Seduction, could probably fight better than the average scholar or inexperienced person with fighting. They probably sport some sort of weapon for personal defense and are probably pretty handy with it.
They also probabl have a decent Evade.
Yeah sure I could just come up with it all ont eh spot, but I'm prefer not to have to mudle with that if I have a handy book or whatever to reference loads of different types of NPCs at various power levels (well OK a Prostitute really only needs one template for the most part).

I've been working on some wiki templates for various type (and levels of competence and equipment) of Brigands, cutpurses, mercenaries, Pirates etc etc..
IT'll make my life easier when running a game and need to wing it.
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Dan True » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:39 pm

danskmacabre wrote: If this was DnD, I'd agree with this where once an Adventurer reaches around 5th level, they're more powerful than just about every named NPC in the world so there's no point in bothering with stats for the average Joe.
But Legend is different, you could easily have an adventurer that is very useful as a party member, but could be REALLY bad at fighting hand to hand (but say have great knowledge skills, spells, stealth, diplomatic skills).

Having a handy set of stats for NPCs such as prostitutes could be very useful. An encounter with one or requiring stats for one could happen quite easily.
A prostitute typically would probably have some great local knowledge skills, streetwise, maybe low level healing skills and herblore. Seduction, could probably fight better than the average scholar or inexperienced person with fighting. They probably sport some sort of weapon for personal defense and are probably pretty handy with it.
They also probabl have a decent Evade.
Yeah sure I could just come up with it all ont eh spot, but I'm prefer not to have to mudle with that if I have a handy book or whatever to reference loads of different types of NPCs at various power levels (well OK a Prostitute really only needs one template for the most part).
My point is that, for me, this is not central - I'd much more have some context for her, possible personality, etc. but a stat block would be a natural part of the entry as well ("huh, the prostitute knows how to sew and how to use drugs... hmm").

And even though this is not d&d, I find that characters are still pretty competent compared to a prostitute... and even though the prostitute CAN wound them, because this is such a great system, I probably wouldn't bother rolling initiate and handling CAs, as the combat is still pretty much not worth the time (if it is worth the time, she is not a minor NPC, and I will have statted her anyway).
But, we all handle our games differently :)

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 pm

Dan True wrote: My point is that, for me, this is not central - I'd much more have some context for her, possible personality, etc. but a stat block would be a natural part of the entry as well ("huh, the prostitute knows how to sew and how to use drugs... hmm").
Yes I agree that would be nice, but that's probably not going to happen in a published Legend product, so I'm just making some stat blocks instead. Personality stuff I can extrapolate from the Scenario, storyline, what other material I can have.
For me, I just like to have the mechanics writen down somewhere so I don't have to mess about writing stuff down for minor one off NPCs.
And even though this is not d&d, I find that characters are still pretty competent compared to a prostitute... and even though the prostitute CAN wound them, because this is such a great system, I probably wouldn't bother rolling initiate and handling CAs, as the combat is still pretty much not worth the time (if it is worth the time, she is not a minor NPC, and I will have statted her anyway).
For the most part you're right in the case of a prostitute, which was one of many entries I mentioned (off the top of my head for that matter), but say Brigands, mercs, curpurses, guards, soldiers etc etc which I also mentioned in my OP, which ARE more of a challenge and more likely for adventurers to have run in could do with statting out and would certainly make my life easier.

But, we all handle our games differently :)
- Dan
Of course, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong we all have a different take on things.
Richard
Mongoose
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Richard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 pm

There's some good stuff in this vein already. The RQ Goons generator is probabaly still googleable, it might not be completely up to dare for RQ2/Legend but you wouldn't need to change much. Worked out characters and backgrounds are usually something I prefer doing myself but they can certainly be a handy tool. The 20 Gloranthans from Signs and Portents is an example.

On the powerless NPC front our group had an unforgettable situation some years back in an RQ3 setting (A variant of the old Eldarad supplement. A frontier situation with limited law enforcement in 'civilised' areas of the city). Our hero's group are being stalked by a 'crossbow bolt salesman' (Group speak for mystery rooftop assassin). Spotting the culprit he sets off in hot pursuit. Our hero loses sight of the rooftop figure but continues his pursuit undaunted. Comes across a herb/matches salesman hawking for bolgs in the street. Leaps to the conclusion that this is the would be sniper in disguise and lays about him with his broadsword, despite the look of shock and protestations of innocence. Fumbles his assault - the poor salesman only has a small knife to hand and lashes out in desperation. Rolls a critical hit leaving his armoured highly experienced opponent lying unconcious and bleeding to death. Not wanting to hang around and meet up with any more crazy adventurers he legs it. First he grabs the big shiny posh looking magic item (A wand/staff of somesort if I recall correctly) his would-be killer is carrying. The player character assailant then dies before any of the other characters realised what has happened and find his body. The magic item was crucial to the party and led to a whole subsequent series of adventures around the city desperately trying to retrive it. Unlikely though the outcome was I have to say it felt convincing and realistic. Made for great drama too.

I find it easy to wing these things but a book/S&P article of interesting characters would still be interesting. I guess it would be something like the Traveller idea of the Casual Encounter. I'm a bit dubious about write ups that are only of hugely powerful characters as these are rarely more pertinent to getting a story going than any other (I'm thinking of 'Strangers in Prax' for RQ3 or even as far back as the original 'Rogues Gallery ', with Bigby, Mordenkainen et al, for D&D). It would make a good Signs and Portents series if it ever returns or a nice on site bonus download for players. A piccie to match is always nice.
User avatar
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby Loz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:02 pm

I'd also suggest looking at 'Cities of the YK'. There are dozens of generic NPC stats in there, complete with motivations: everything from city guards, bored militia, tavern owners, feisty prostitutes and many more.

Pavis Rises, too, has a wide selection of diverse, generic NPC stats. Well worth plundering for your campaigns, be they Glorantha, Elric or otherwise.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?


Rush - Spindrift
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: Legend / MRQ2 NPCs sourcebook statblocks

Postby danskmacabre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Loz wrote:I'd also suggest looking at 'Cities of the YK'. There are dozens of generic NPC stats in there, complete with motivations: everything from city guards, bored militia, tavern owners, feisty prostitutes and many more.
I've already got that and have shamelessly plundered it for my personal list of NPCs. :D
BTw, I ran that campaign/scenario as well. The party did quite well until they suffered a TPK from fighting the Bear spirit thing.
Pavis Rises, too, has a wide selection of diverse, generic NPC stats. Well worth plundering for your campaigns, be they Glorantha, Elric or otherwise.
I don't have that but might grab it one day.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests