Deus Vult questions

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Deus Vult questions

Postby Dan True » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 am

Hi! I have some questions for Deus Vult, that I'd like peoples angles at:

- Replacements: Since membership into the order requires some training, before becoming an initiate, how do you handle PC-death? It gets pretty tired in the long run that every time a PC dies, suddenly an additional monk from the nearest priory appears as sent from heaven.

- Sorcery: You cannot start with spirit magic or sorcery, which is cool. But, how would you handle PCs wanting to learn sorcery? They could grab a grimoire from sorcerer they defeat, and learn his secrets or use some of the grimoires in Mont St. Michel. But, how would you go about doing it, how will you gain access to those parts of the library, how will the order view this, what rank do you need to be before the order will trust you with these secrets? Should sorcery count towards some permanent asset? should he be allowed to bring the grimoire with him out of Mont St. Michel?

- Alchemy: The PCs can learn Alchemy and use it to produce alchemical substances - but should these count towards assets, just as if they had "bought" them from the order?

- Dan

P.S: Ex-Cathedra.... daaamn, that's some good writing :) Looking forward to Rouen.
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Mytholder
Mongoose

Re: Deus Vult questions

Postby Mytholder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Replacements - instead of new Initiates, you could have players play allies from outside the Order*, or turn established Order NPCs into PCs.

*: Said allies would have to either be sent to Mont St. Michel for training or else exterminated at the end of the adventure, though...unless the PCs are willing to ignore their vows. Could the Holy Order's commandments be in error?

Sorcery - a PC can learn sorcery by either (a) keeping a found a grimoire (dodgy) or (b) spending Asset points to borrow a grimoire from the Order.

Alchemy - Alchemical stuff you make yourself doesn't count towards Asset points, but hieromonks aren't supposed to have their own money to buy alchemical supplies with. Of course, you can get around this by spending your Asset points on treasure (1 AP=500 SP), buying supplies and then brewing up your own compounds, but that takes time that could be better spent hunting evil.
Richard
Mongoose

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 pm

As a sequel to something I posted on another thread you could establish connections between existing and follow up characters. A fellow novice from the same cell, someone who owes the character big time for their heroism that cost them their life and, discovering the order, decides to join (Rather than being murdered in the usual fasihion...). Getting the new PC up to speed could be facilitated by allowing the new character to inherit Hero Points from the old one. Perhaps they were tutored part-time by them at St.Michel or have been inspired by their heroism.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

I hadn't even realised that some grimoires were filed under Relics - I assume these are the only Grimoires in the order's possesion that can be borrowed to learn from, by ordinary hieromonks.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Mytholder wrote: (1 AP=500 SP),
I thought it was 1AP=100SP worth of stuff or 50SP worth of gold.
Meep Meep
Mytholder
Mongoose

Postby Mytholder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Mixster wrote:
Mytholder wrote: (1 AP=500 SP),
I thought it was 1AP=100SP worth of stuff or 50SP worth of gold.
So it is. There's a misprint on page 58, which lists it as 1AP=500SP, and that's what I glanced at when making a hasty reply.