Explain spirit magic to me

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
BluSponge
Shrew

Explain spirit magic to me

Postby BluSponge » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Alright, so I get the basics. Spirit magic involves attracting, negotiating, or cajoling spirit entities and binding them into "fetishes." These, in turn, grant the caster special abilities. The example presented is binding a salamander to give the spirit caster "flame touch."

But other than some vague parameters, there really isn't much to go on as to what these abilities are/can be. There are a few examples for nature spirits, and the whole thing smacks of the demon binding rules from Stormbringer. Other than that, are there any good examples presented in the RQII rulebooks? Has anyone else developed a good set of guidelines for creating spirit powers?

Thanks,
Tom
languagegeek
Mongoose

Re: Explain spirit magic to me

Postby languagegeek » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Signs and Portents has two articles which will likely start to answer any questions you may have about Spirit Magic.

Shamanism for Fun and Prophets..Rules..S&P 89 (page 14)..........10
The World of Spirits ...............Rules........S&P 90 (Page 18 )..........17
Heresy is the life of a mythology, and orthodoxy is the death — J. Campbell
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Explain spirit magic to me

Postby Mixster » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Ancestor spirits sets one of your skills (or sets of skills) to a set number and gives you 1d3 Heroic Abilities.

Apart from that, you can attain most things you want to with the Nature spirit guidelines IMO. And I would have them adopt to most things you do with it.
Meep Meep