New sorcery spells

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Fonso
Stoat

New sorcery spells

Postby Fonso » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:44 pm

How you learn a new sorcery spell?

I mean a really new spell, not learn a sorcery spell of another grimoire?

If I create, por example, "Fonso's Worderfull Spell of cooking", I should write a new grimoire or can I add it to a grimoire than I know? Can I learn a sorcery spell alone, without grimoire?

I also suppose that could vary between setting but i don't know if there are some rule about it outside MRQII core rules.

Thanks!
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: New sorcery spells

Postby PhilHibbs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 pm

There is no rules mechanism for either, but I'd allow a new spell to be added to a grimoire if it is in keeping with its theme. I don't know if Spellcom has any rules for new spells?
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: New sorcery spells

Postby Dan True » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:There is no rules mechanism for either, but I'd allow a new spell to be added to a grimoire if it is in keeping with its theme. I don't know if Spellcom has any rules for new spells?
Not really, at least not what I have found.

The idea of sorcery spells is that they should be very broad, so usually you should be able to find a combination of existing spells doing what you wish.
If not, I would handle the introduction of the new spell on a case-basis.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Fonso
Stoat

Postby Fonso » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:35 am

Really, one of my players asked me about that when they captured Jezad in Blood of Orlanth and he spoke them about the "Banish Wyter" Spell. They wanted to know how he did it, to do the same thing in the future.

In earlier Runequest you learn each spell alone. Learn a new or strange spell was not different than a common one.
In HeroQuest I you learned one or two grimoires from your scholl/profession and later, you could learn similar spells adding it to your grimoire, if was appropiated, or as another skills. I was thinking to do something like that. A new skill could be very expensive but if they learn more than one spells than they could mix in a new grimoire, I guess I let them change the individual skill into a new grimoire. In Glorantha shouldn't be easy (I remember that a grimoire *IS* in the essence plane of their saint/cult/school) but in other setting could be easier. What do you think?

Thanks again!

PD: How I put the spoiler tag?