RuneQuest 6

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Postby danskmacabre » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 pm

I wonder if Loz and Pete would takeup bit work for Mongoose for the EC line if Mogoose continues to support it.
IE, further background, scenarios etc..
That would be ideal. :)
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 am
Location: The Maze of Peril
Contact:

Postby Vile » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:22 am

They won't have time. They won't have time, okay? :twisted:
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 am
Location: South West UK

Postby Stainless » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:40 am

duncan_disorderly
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Postby duncan_disorderly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:35 am

producing books with a different attitude towards editing, art and layout

Which is another good reason for choosing RQ6 over Legend, from my PoV.

But I wouldn't be too quick to write off Legend. Mongoose is a much bigger company than The Design Mechanism and/or Moon Design - They will have the Legend rulebook out before the end of the year, in "digest" size with others to follow. Matt said on Planet Mongoose that these books would have a maximum price of $19.99 - Mongoose (at least in the UK/Europe) are carried by the leading distributors so should be available in all good games shops

According to the Design Mechanim FAQ, RQ6 will be out early next year,
We’ll be able to give price details soon, we
hope, but its likely to be in the region of $45.00/£28.00/€31.00 (256 pages, perfect bound, colour cover).
Moon Design are not so readily available in shops (or haven't been in the past). the Design Mechanism have plans, but no published schedule as yet, so there could be several Legend releases between each RQ6 release.

We know that Pete & Loz are good writers with a solid background in the RQ rules (both MRQ2/Legend and earlier versions), but that doesn't mean that Mongoose can't / won't employ an equally talented writer / designer to support Legend. Strategically they want/need a "Core" fantasy RPG to enable them to compete in this market.

(Mind you, If I was a third party producer, I would be looking into the possibility/viability of releasing my settings under both the "Legend" licence (whatever that turns out to be) and the "RQ Gateway" licence to cover all the bases...) [/i]
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 am
Location: South West UK

Postby Stainless » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:17 am

I agree with your appraisal of Mongoose's size and market penetrance. That alone will see the Legend rule book and some initial settings out the door. However, their business model is demonstrably hair triggered; The nature of the beast for a company of that size in a niche market. It's just reality. So if profit doesn't turn out to be what is predicted, I won't be the least bit surprised if Legend eventually gets pulled. So for me, buying into Legend I view with some trepidation.

In my opinion, the business strategy of salami slicing content and shunting it out the door in quick succession will as always work against Mongoose. I can see the need for this to maintain a revenue stream, but the associated effects this has on quality I think is overall counter productive. But what do I know, I'm an academic, not a businessman.

DM on the other hand will certainly have the motivation to persist in he face of poor returns, so we may expect greater longevity from RQ6. But in the end, they're a small outfit (at least currently) so reality may eventually assert itself.

Good luck to both. Personally, my money will go to those who edit/proof read their product the best.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:12 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby taxboy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Stainless wrote:I agree with your appraisal of Mongoose's size and market penetrance. That alone will see the Legend rule book and some initial settings out the door. However, their business model is demonstrably hair triggered; The nature of the beast for a company of that size in a niche market. It's just reality. So if profit doesn't turn out to be what is predicted, I won't be the least bit surprised if Legend eventually gets pulled. So for me, buying into Legend I view with some trepidation.

In my opinion, the business strategy of salami slicing content and shunting it out the door in quick succession will as always work against Mongoose. I can see the need for this to maintain a revenue stream, but the associated effects this has on quality I think is overall counter productive. But what do I know, I'm an academic, not a businessman.

DM on the other hand will certainly have the motivation to persist in he face of poor returns, so we may expect greater longevity from RQ6. But in the end, they're a small outfit (at least currently) so reality may eventually assert itself.

Good luck to both. Personally, my money will go to those who edit/proof read their product the best.
Who am I kidding, I am a big RPG nerd with a reasonable income, I will buy from both lines - just to have it...

..the boy can go without nappies for a month so I can have my new Runequest 6 / Legend books!
Welcome to our agreed reality
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 pm

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm

taxboy wrote:
Who am I kidding, I am a big RPG nerd with a reasonable income, I will buy from both lines - just to have it...

..the boy can go without nappies for a month so I can have my new Runequest 6 / Legend books!
This +1.

I'll anyhoo buy pretty much whatever vaguely D100/RQ Loz and Pete put their name to, plus anything from Legend that gives me something new to enjoy reading or get inspiration from.

On the plus side, Age of Treason should be at the printers today, so I'm quite excited, and I hope an updated preview will be available very shortly on the mongoose website. It will be large format, but it is bearing the brand new Legend Compatible logo, which looks pretty good as it happens. Some sneak previews of new Legend artwork lead me to believe that the Legend books are also on track, and Mongoose intentions are, at date of writing, completely serious.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:28 pm

taxboy wrote:...the boy can go without nappies for a month so I can have my new Runequest 6 / Legend books!
:lol: Buy the old-school cloth ones, they're re-usable, recyclable so much better for the environment and your hip pocket. True, the significant other will have to wash them...
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
taxboy
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:12 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby taxboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:47 am

DamonJynx wrote:
taxboy wrote:...the boy can go without nappies for a month so I can have my new Runequest 6 / Legend books!
:lol: Buy the old-school cloth ones, they're re-usable, recyclable so much better for the environment and your hip pocket. True, the significant other will have to wash them...
We do have them but what a bloody hassle to use - we use them as mop up cloths...

Like I said to my wife "F it, we will plant a tree..."
Welcome to our agreed reality
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:01 am
Location: The Maze of Peril
Contact:

Postby Vile » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, there is the environmental impact of all that detergent washed into the sewer system to consider, not to mention the wear and tear on the washing machine and the production of electricity to run it. Buying RPG books (made from sustainably managed forest pulp or non-bleached recycled paper) while the offspring enjoys unfettered freedom is by far the more eco-friendly option.

Now, if you're talking PDFs vs. nappies, there's no contest. Go on, buy an RPG. The planet will love you for it. :mrgreen:
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:00 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Postby Nickbergquist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:06 pm

danskmacabre wrote:
Nickbergquist wrote: It could always be worse....just look at what D&D has fractured into for contrast!
The market that's available for DnD games is huge in comparison to the available market for any RQ game.
But really there's only 2 serious contenders for DnD, DnD 4th ed and Pathfinder.
Most of that is brand recognition, but also they really support their products well, both DnD 4th ed and Pathfinder have lots of software support, especially DnD 4th ed.

I know there's loads of clones out there of DnD, but in the RPG market they're niche products.
I wasn't suggesting that BRP/RQ has the same volume of fans that D&D does, sorry if I implied that.

My perceptions on the fragmented nature of the D&D fanbase may be skewed from hanging out too much at enworld, rpg.net, therpgsite and other locations (Knights n Knaves, dragonsfoot.org, trolllord.com and such).

Agreed that there are only two Big Contenders visible, but the visible fan community online is divided between a couple dozen editions, variants, clones and spin offs. It's very messy by comparison....that was what I was referring to. With Runequest we have RQII/Legend, RQ6, BRP and Openquest.....all relatively simple to adapt and modify for use with related materials. For D&D...not so easy.

Anecdotally, I know of a half dozen 4E groups in my FLGS, 2 3rd edition D&D groups, no Pathfinder groups (though they do exist, as Pathfinder sells well) and a medly of "others" including a C&C group, two AD&D groups, one S&W group and some True20 players. The interesting difference between these groups is how rarely they are willing to deviate from their choice of system. In contrast, among the various BRP/RQ/Legend players I know they will all play any or all iterations of the system....there is less bias toward whatever particular edition they have chosen.
Last edited by Nickbergquist on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012 ... ullen.html
Nickbergquist
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:00 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Contact:

Postby Nickbergquist » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Woops...double post!
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com
Tales from the Watchers of the Sullen Vigil - A Legend/BRP/RQ setting of dark fantasy:
http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com/2012 ... ullen.html
Pruneau
Weasel
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:23 pm
Location: Antwerpen, BE

Postby Pruneau » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:33 pm

Vile wrote: That's the spirit, you young whippersnapper! Why, I was running and playing RQ2 with only the rulebook for years before I even saw a copy of Cults of Prax. Oh, how the internet spoils us.
Hear Hear. I remember getting Apple Lane, Ballastor's Barrracks and Snake Pipe Hollow. Back then, you had to take the train to Calais, the Ferry to Dover, the train into Lon-dun to go and buy wargame stuff. My RQ group was quite ecstatic about it, I remember the first time they ran into the Ogre family in the Hollow, I had no idea ogres were supposed to be played like that :D
__________________________________________
~Pruneau~
plays RQ (since RQ2) - CoC
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Postby danskmacabre » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Nickbergquist wrote: My perceptions on the fragmented nature of the D&D fanbase may be skewed from hanging out too much at enworld, rpg.net, therpgsite and other locations (Knights n Knaves, dragonsfoot.org, trolllord.com and such).

Agreed that there are only two Big Contenders visible, but the visible fan community online is divided between a couple dozen editions, variants, clones and spin offs. It's very messy by comparison....that was what I was referring to. With Runequest we have RQII/Legend, RQ6, BRP and Openquest.....all relatively simple to adapt and modify for use with related materials. For D&D...not so easy.

Anecdotally, I know of a half dozen 4E groups in my FLGS, 2 3rd edition D&D groups, no Pathfinder groups (though they do exist, as Pathfinder sells well) and a medly of "others" including a C&C group, two AD&D groups, one S&W group and some True20 players. The interesting difference between these groups is how rarely they are willing to deviate from their choice of system. In contrast, among the various BRP/RQ/Legend players I know they will all play any or all iterations of the system....there is less bias toward whatever particular edition they have chosen.
I'm not really sure that the online community is representative of the general trends of who is playing what Roleplaying game.
Certainly from my POV, I've only really started posting in RPG forums over the last few years, even tho I've been playing online games and posted in various others forums for many years.
It never really occurred to me get involved with Tabletop RPG communities online until relatively recently (maybe 3 years ago).
Of the several people I play Tabletop RPGs with, only 1 of them has much of a presence with forums.
All of them generally come from DnD 3.5 (although I run Pathfinder for them, which they like).

I had a chat with Our FLGS manager and he said by a huge margin his big money spinner for RPGs is DnD 4th Ed (which I don't play).
Although interestingly he also said if it wasn't for his Boardgame sales (like Talisman etc) and the Magic Card trading game, he'd go out of business.

However it's also my opinion local trends are not really indicative of general global trends. From the several discussions I've had about this subject on various RPG forums, different people from different areas have widely different experiences with what people are playing.

I do feel tho the spin off DnD games you mention are played by the extreme minority (and I make no negative judgement by that :) )
If lots of people were playing say "Hackmaster" in such significant numbers that were comparable to say Pathfinder, shops would be stocking Hackmaster on their shelves as much as Pathfinder is .

Whatever the case, I'd much prefer to be running MRQ2/Elric, but I just can't get enough players for it (Been trying to get an Elric campaign going for a few years now).
But just a few weeks of advertising on game search sites easily got enough players to run Pathfinder.
Last edited by danskmacabre on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Vile wrote:...Now, if you're talking PDFs vs. nappies, there's no contest. Go on, buy an RPG. The planet will love you for it. :mrgreen:
:lol: Very far kin funny.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm

danskmacabre wrote:Whatever the case, I'd much prefer to be running MRQ2/Elric, but I just can't get enough players for it (Been trying to get an Elric campaign going for a few years now).
But just a few weeks of advertising on game search sites easily got enough players to run Pathfinder.
That's highly unfortunate. Do you think it maybe because, and I'm being extremely general here no offense is meant, a lot D&D players aren't aware of the other game systems out there? From personal experience that sort of is the case. Most of the guy's I play with, with the exception of 2 of the older guy's, have heard the names of these other games mentioned, but not actually played them.

When I started looking around for an alternative to D&D 3.x (including PFRPG) and 4 about a year or so ago was the first time I really became aware of some of the other systems out there and I'm still largely ignorant of most of them. I had a look at Rolemaster - way too complicated, yet very realistic - don't have an accident you may die! And then of course I found BRP and subsequently RQ which I'm happy to say ticks 99% of the boxes for me regarding Fantasy Roleplaying.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Postby danskmacabre » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:32 pm

I think in the gaming group I play with, actually they've come ORIGINALLY from all sorts of backgrounds, being Feng shui (Asian martial arts type RPG), Rolemaster (one of the players and myself for a bit), DnD, aDnD and lots of other RPGs. BUT they ALL know DnD 3.5 (and consequently Pathfinder).
It was the common RPG that brought us all together.

The thing is they prefer the high Heroic high powered traditional adventuring.
The risk of dying of MRQ2 and particularly Elric is quite high if you do something stupid.

Still, we're moving to Oz towards the end of this year, just sorting Citizenship for my kids and a visa for my wife. I'm Australian, so I already have my passport renewed.
So a new area and maybe different gamers in the area we move to.
jarulf
Stoat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 am

Postby jarulf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 am

For what it's worth, Australia does seem to have a strong presence on-line when it comes to BRP/RQ.
Well, that's my impression anyway. :)
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 am

I think there's probably two reasons for that:

1. We're opinionated bastards and like to share (maybe that's just me :wink:)
2. We like the underdog, the road less traveled...

D&D sells much better than most other RPG's in my FLGS, so I'm a bit surprised by that. Though that's probably not a good indication. I think CoC is fairly popular over here though.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
jarulf
Stoat
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 am

Postby jarulf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

I play in two BRP games on RPG.net and half the players seem to Aussies, and I've played with others in other games, including one IRC game with people on three continents (that didn't work out in the end though).

Most seem to be in the 40+ age group, but that doesn't seem atypical of BRP fans.

So in an attempt to drag this slightly on-topic again, let's hope Legends and RQ6 both manage to bring in more young ones (so us oldtimers can pontificate on the golden days of Griffin Mountain etc) ;)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests