Spirit Magic: Non-Shamanic Traditions/Usage.

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Spirit Magic: Non-Shamanic Traditions/Usage.

Postby Vortigern » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:05 am

Has anyone done an adaptation of Spirit Magic to reflect a more Western Magick style of usage? i.e. Something more based on circles/summoning etc. than on 'projection'?
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
Simulacrum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:38 am

Yes - Age of Treason spirit magic generally downplays spirit walking, and has spirits manifest in the real world. Spirit walking is possible, but usually via a heroic ability or divine magic spell. AoT due out in august.
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mugen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:36 pm

An easy solution is to borrow Elric of Melniboné's summoning rules.

As for myself, I would add a Summon (Spirit) sorcery spell. Spells like Spirit Resistance Dominate (Species) already exist :)

I think there is such a spell in Deus Vult, and maybe in the Abiding Book. If you don't have either of those, you could simply state that this spell summons an entity whose power (Magnitude or POW) is based on Grimoire's skill. Say, (Grimoire/20) d6 POW, or (Grimoire/10) Magnitude.
Jujitsudave
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jujitsudave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 pm

OOPS
Last edited by Jujitsudave on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jujitsudave
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jujitsudave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:30 pm

OOPS
Last edited by Jujitsudave on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jujitsudave
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jujitsudave » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Honestly, I think I may tinker with that one too to create a system where the spirits are Demons and Fey rather than Native American spirits.
Vortigern
Banded Mongoose

Postby Vortigern » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:19 am

I'm fairly alright with the rules for Spirits, though there are some Shamanic type assumptions built into them as well. Some other options for things would be very nice.

There are a variety of different types of Spirits that aren't really represented, but could be improvised fairly easily with the rules present. More of a thematic change than a rules change needed.

But what doesn't suit the change of the type of magickal tradition is the Spirit Walking and projection, IMO. Not that such a practice/knowledge would necessarily be a bad thing, but a 'Summoning Ritual: Spirits' in the Elric version of Sorcery might be a way to do it.

I also note that the Spirit Magick alone in the Magick Systems of Elric doesn't seem to have any restriction to being capped by High Speech like other Magick Skills. I think I would probably institute such a cap in an Elric game.

Then you could have the set of four skills, potentially, for a Spirit Magick type of guy. ( Spirit Walking, Spirit Binding, Spirit Summoning, and possibly Commanding for 'one-time service' type of usage as opposed to the usual Binding rules. )

Some sort of equation of Summoning skill to maximum Pow or Intensity of the Spirits that a given Sorcerer is capable of summoning seems apt. And then of course the usual application of Binding as to caps on the power of Bound spirits etc.
V/R,
Vortigern

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mixster » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am

I think the spirit magic system could easily be translated pretty directly by keeping the mechanics and just change to way things are worded.

Instead of calling an ancestor of great power, you call on the power of the angel Michael, or the demon Azazel, who were renowned in the heavens for their great skills and give you their power. Instead of having your fetch, you have your personal guardian angel, or bound demon. Instead of controlling bears by the power of nature, you have a demon of the beasts control them for you and then control the demon. Instead of controlling fire elementals, a demon just manifests as a powerful fire.

When you are spirit walking, perhaps you aren't walking around the "real" world looking for spirits, but more like your mind is walking around heaven/hell looking for subjects, all the while your physical form does nothing but speak in gibberish and draw sigils everywhere.

If you want to make it more risky, perhaps demons could be stronger, but involve a problem like incurring some sort of insanity for a few days if you fail a test with them.
Meep Meep
Jujitsudave
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jujitsudave » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 am

Or maybe the demons are not as strong, but more willing to be used. Good ideas!!