Viking Runecarving

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Flambeau
Shrew

Viking Runecarving

Postby Flambeau » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:17 pm

As I'm about to start running a Viking campaign and one of my players wants to be a rune-carving wizard. The rules are not particularly clear about the rune-carving spells, specially concerning when the spells aren't target at the runecarver himself. What I mean is the caster creates a talisman with Grow Strong (a necklace for instance), so anybody who wears that necklace increase his STR. But there are other spells that works OK if casted as Seidr (Heal Wound, Blunt Weapon, Batlle Fetter,...) but I don't know how those work if used as Rune-carving.
Mixster
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Viking Runecarving

Postby Mixster » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Flambeau wrote:As I'm about to start running a Viking campaign/quote]
Me too!
[quote="Flambeau"What I mean is the caster creates a talisman with Grow Strong (a necklace for instance), so anybody who wears that necklace increase his STR. But there are other spells that works OK if casted as Seidr (Heal Wound, Blunt Weapon, Batlle Fetter,...) but I don't know how those work if used as Rune-carving.
I think the non-enduring spells are supposed to be one-use runic items. So if you for example create a bandage with a heal wound rune, it breaks and falls off after doing its' magic.
I think the offensive Runes either only works if the target in question carries the object, or you have made the rune on something from his person. Think of it as a Viking Voodoo doll of sorts.
Meep Meep
Flambeau
Shrew

Postby Flambeau » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:56 pm

That makes sense. Thanks.
Vagni
Banded Mongoose

Re: Viking Runecarving

Postby Vagni » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Mixster wrote:
Flambeau wrote:As I'm about to start running a Viking campaign/quote]
Me too!
[quote="Flambeau"What I mean is the caster creates a talisman with Grow Strong (a necklace for instance), so anybody who wears that necklace increase his STR. But there are other spells that works OK if casted as Seidr (Heal Wound, Blunt Weapon, Batlle Fetter,...) but I don't know how those work if used as Rune-carving.
I think the non-enduring spells are supposed to be one-use runic items. So if you for example create a bandage with a heal wound rune, it breaks and falls off after doing its' magic.
I think the offensive Runes either only works if the target in question carries the object, or you have made the rune on something from his person. Think of it as a Viking Voodoo doll of sorts.
That's pretty much how I've run it so far. I also allow runic items to be made for someone else and the MP cost is deducted from them and not the caster.
I am a sexy shoeless god of war!