Since its cheap

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Since its cheap

Postby Builder » Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I run a MRQ1 Elric game at the moment and this forum has repeatedly told me that its time to upgrade because MRQII is much better.

So the question, the MRQI elric stuff didn't need the RuneQuest main book, does the Elric II one need the RuneQuestII core book?
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
hegan
Stoat

Postby hegan » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Elric II needs the RQII core rulebook ........
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Postby Builder » Thu May 26, 2011 5:16 pm

hegan wrote:Elric II needs the RQII core rulebook ........
Thanks you, its not quite as obvious as it sounds because the 1st ed stuff didn't.

Thanks
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby danskmacabre » Thu May 26, 2011 7:03 pm

and if you want to use Necromancy, which came with the MRQ1 "Magic of the young kingdoms" you need to buy "MRQ2 Necromatic Arts".

The upside is the necromatic arts is good, I bought it (and Empires, also a good read) today. :)
master of reality
Mongoose

Postby master of reality » Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Now is definitely a good time to start thinking about upgrading to the MRQ2 version of Elric. The current editions of the MRQ2 core book and Elric books will eventually be sold at reduced price as an out of print item, and the Wayfarer replacements will supposedly be cheaper as well. I just bought "Lankhmar Unleashed", which was $40 when it was still in print, for only $8 from the "Out of Print" section of the Mongoose website.
languagegeek
Mongoose

Postby languagegeek » Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 pm

master of reality wrote:The current editions of the MRQ2 core book and Elric books will eventually be sold at reduced price as an out of print item
Will Mongoose still be allowed to sell out-of-print RuneQuest books once the license has expired? Or will all those RQ books have to be pulled from Mongoose's on-line shop?
Heresy is the life of a mythology, and orthodoxy is the death — J. Campbell
Pendraig
Shrew

MRQII & Elric

Postby Pendraig » Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm

From what I can tell the system and genre are a good match. Loz and team did a good job.
"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"
- Ernst Junger
master of reality
Mongoose

Postby master of reality » Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm

languagegeek wrote:
master of reality wrote:The current editions of the MRQ2 core book and Elric books will eventually be sold at reduced price as an out of print item
Will Mongoose still be allowed to sell out-of-print RuneQuest books once the license has expired? Or will all those RQ books have to be pulled from Mongoose's on-line shop?
That's a good question. I guess I shouldn't assume that they will be available after winter begins. In which case, I'm glad I just bought my Elric books.
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Vile » Sat May 28, 2011 1:59 am

master of reality wrote:
languagegeek wrote:
That's a good question. I guess I shouldn't assume that they will be available after winter begins. In which case, I'm glad I just bought my Elric books.
Probably depends on the licence details, but I know former Traveller licencees are still being allowed to sell old stock, years after Mongoose Traveller took over.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon May 30, 2011 8:17 am

languagegeek wrote: Will Mongoose still be allowed to sell out-of-print RuneQuest books once the license has expired? Or will all those RQ books have to be pulled from Mongoose's on-line shop?
They will be pulled - repeat, the RQ range will _not_ be moved into the OOP section of the web site.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
languagegeek
Mongoose

Postby languagegeek » Mon May 30, 2011 4:49 pm

msprange wrote:
languagegeek wrote:Will Mongoose still be allowed to sell out-of-print RuneQuest books once the license has expired? Or will all those RQ books have to be pulled from Mongoose's on-line shop?
They will be pulled - repeat, the RQ range will _not_ be moved into the OOP section of the web site.
Thanks, that is good to know.
Heresy is the life of a mythology, and orthodoxy is the death — J. Campbell
broken serenity
Mongoose

Postby broken serenity » Mon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm

will you be running a sale on the current line over the next few months though to clear warehouse space?
master of reality
Mongoose

Postby master of reality » Mon May 30, 2011 6:42 pm

msprange wrote:
languagegeek wrote: Will Mongoose still be allowed to sell out-of-print RuneQuest books once the license has expired? Or will all those RQ books have to be pulled from Mongoose's on-line shop?
Sounds like anyone who wants hardback, standard sized editions of the MRQ2 core rules or the Elric core book should purchase them before winter.
Otherwise, wait for the, presumably, cheaper Wayfarer versions.

In that case, as someone who likes hard covers (or at least the larger size for soft covers), I'm glad I just bought a bunch of Elric stuff. If the Wayfarer game system is basically the same as the MRQ2 system, then the Wayfarer edition of Elric shouldn't differ appreciably from the edition I just purchased.

I assume that more Elric stuff will be published under the Wayfarer name. I'll still buy scenarios and possibly source material regardless of how it's packaged, although, if possible, I might start buying any new material as a pdf.