Wayfarer

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
User avatar
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Postby PhilHibbs » Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm

I just had a thought about the RQ licensing and old publications. If Mongoose will no longer be able to sell PDFs that say "RuneQuest" or refer to other licensed properties, will old issues of S&P still be available? If so, what's the essential difference? Will it be covered by an ongoing limited license in the same way that fan publications are?
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby alex_greene » Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:I just had a thought about the RQ licensing and old publications. If Mongoose will no longer be able to sell PDFs that say "RuneQuest" or refer to other licensed properties, will old issues of S&P still be available? If so, what's the essential difference? Will it be covered by an ongoing limited license in the same way that fan publications are?
You don't pay for any of the material, so I guess that the answer would be yes; an answer borne out by the fact that you can still play the Babylon 5 adventure using the B5 setting book and Traveller Core Rulebook, even though the game license for B5 got sunsetted some time ago.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
User avatar
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Dan True wrote:
danskmacabre wrote: If you run Mongoose Runequest 2 by itself, it fine and has all the healing you need/want.
And too much for my taste acutally...

- Dan
+1 to that. It's why I prefer to run Elric. But I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I don't like loads of HP and healing when I GM, but when I play...stems from my D&D upbringing I s'pose.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Postby Dan True » Tue May 31, 2011 9:38 pm

DamonJynx wrote:
Dan True wrote:
danskmacabre wrote: If you run Mongoose Runequest 2 by itself, it fine and has all the healing you need/want.
And too much for my taste acutally...

- Dan
+1 to that. It's why I prefer to run Elric. But I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I don't like loads of HP and healing when I GM, but when I play...stems from my D&D upbringing I s'pose.
I don't mind there being healing... but a sorcerer being able to mass-cast treat wounds and bring the whole party up to full HP on a few rounds... a bit too much for my taste.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
User avatar
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Dan True wrote:I don't mind there being healing... but a sorcerer being able to mass-cast treat wounds and bring the whole party up to full HP on a few rounds... a bit too much for my taste.

- Dan
Fair enough. I've only played MRQ2 using the Elric magic system, so I haven't had the joys of adjudicating the core sorcery and divine spells. I re-read the rules the other night and it does seem like standard sorcery is over the top, manipulations and all that make it a very powerful form of magic.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Postby danskmacabre » Tue May 31, 2011 10:51 pm

Having only run Elric as well and only read the Elric magic and some of the common magic, I have no real experience of the core MRQ2 rules of magic.

However tongiht I'm taking a look at them and see how I feel about it over the next few days.
User avatar
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Postby Grimolde » Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 pm

Looks like Wayfarers will be used to run my Harn setting then.

All the Glorantha stuff taken out is a plus.

Please clarify and tweak the charge rules as needed :)
User avatar
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3800
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:29 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby alex_greene » Tue May 31, 2011 11:31 pm

You just won the internets. The spirit of the late, lamented N Robin Crossby is probably looking upon you from his citadel on Yashain and waving.

Unless he's not actually waving, but in fact casting a spell ...
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Lokai
Stoat
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 am

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:54 am

so if in the base game healing is over the top are there ways to tone it down a little without making players feel like they play a gimped build?

I wouldn't mind it being a tad difficult to keep everyone at max health during a fight so that they will actually have to approach fights tactically and not just go in like berserkers expecting the healers to keep them up. That way they have to be concerend about death if either the healer goes down OR the whole part goes down, but after a fight they would have means to take care of any more serious wounds if required.

I really like the idea that a fight will not be about the actual rolls, but people will remember it for what happend to their character.
Lokai
Stoat
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 am

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 am

does the healing allow for healing of serious wounds that i hear can happen once a body area is reduced to zero health? or is that essentially permanent? I'm wanting to have more combat oriented adventures so the odds of serious injuries are higher then with some playing groups.
User avatar
Khamulcalle
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:12 pm
Location: Sweden

Postby Khamulcalle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 am

DamonJynx wrote:
Dan True wrote:
danskmacabre wrote: If you run Mongoose Runequest 2 by itself, it fine and has all the healing you need/want.
And too much for my taste acutally...

- Dan
+1 to that. It's why I prefer to run Elric. But I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I don't like loads of HP and healing when I GM, but when I play...stems from my D&D upbringing I s'pose.


+1 (I feel so too haha!)
Last edited by Khamulcalle on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Postby Dan True » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:36 am

Lokai wrote:so if in the base game healing is over the top are there ways to tone it down a little without making players feel like they play a gimped build?

I wouldn't mind it being a tad difficult to keep everyone at max health during a fight so that they will actually have to approach fights tactically and not just go in like berserkers expecting the healers to keep them up. That way they have to be concerend about death if either the healer goes down OR the whole part goes down, but after a fight they would have means to take care of any more serious wounds if required.

I really like the idea that a fight will not be about the actual rolls, but people will remember it for what happend to their character.
Well, there are a number of ways:

- My game is in Eberron. There, wizards don't heal ;) So I have removed the sorcery healing spells, also because I found them over the top. So only divine magic (which is more powerful, but rarer as it can take time to regain) and common magic (which is limited) can heal.
Since divine magicians in Eberron don't usually sell out their spells, most healing is obtained through potions or wands, containing magical healing (or visiting a House Jorasco house of healing).

- You can handle it through cults, as is the default way I think. For instance, there may only be one sorcery cult in the world who knows Treat Wounds and Regrow Limb (and perhaps it even knows only one of them). Sadly this cult is the friendly flower-power club of MentalHybernania, and they are all pacifists. They are likely to heal people who have encountered damage as innocent bystanders or from accidents - but if the damage has clearly been obtained in battle, they judge you a warmonger yourself and will not heal you. Luckily they do sell some potions and temporary magical items to those who seem trustworthy.
This can lead to some concern as to how the party gets heal, but nothing a good deal of roleplaying or a bribe won't handle.... but not something they can easily overcome without obstacles. If a player decides to play a sorcerer from this cult, he will probably not have any offensive-oriented spells, and will come into trouble with the cult leadership if he uses his spells for battle.
This one takes more work though.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
Verderer
Mongoose
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:07 pm

Postby Verderer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 am

danskmacabre wrote:
DamonJynx wrote:Verderer, as Deleriad says, it depends.
I'm creating a plane of the Multiverse for my Elric PC's that will be more of a generic fantasy world, rather than be based on canon from MM. In this world my initial thoughts regarding magic are;
  • Common Magic - used by Wizards (Lesser Path?)
    Divine Magic - used by Priests
    Spirit Magic - used by Tribal Shaman
    Sorcery - used by Sorcerers (Greater Path?)
    Runic and Summoning Magic from Elric - used by Warlocks and Druid types, Tribal Shaman would have access to 'nature runes' eg, elements, flora and fauna.
I'm tempted to do something like this as well.
I ran Elric on the weekend for several people I invited down from Wales where I used to live.
They had a great time, but the players in my existing group where I live now who I normally run Pathfinder for, whilst enjoying themselves, found the combat really brutal and with the added very little healing, resurrection, they went through a few characters ovver the weekend! :D
In my somewhat D&D oriented campaign, I will allow certain common magic spells for those professions that would under that other system have magic spells or spell like abilities, like bards, rangers, paladins, etc. Or even dual/multiclass professions like fighter-mages. They wouldn't have access to sorcery, that would be the realm or true wizards. Wizards would naturally have access to common magic as well.

Clerics are taken care by divine magic and cults, supplemented by suitable common spells.

Paladins, templars and other holy warriors might be a bit tricky case. How do you portray their special abilities, give them divine or common magic spells that work like turn undead etc? Or maybe create identical heroic abilities?

If I want to change the spell selection even more towards D&D type spells, there a whole set of old style D&D spells in the BRP monograph Classic Fantasy. Shouldn't too hard to convert them into RQII/Wayfarer?
User avatar
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Denmark

Postby Dan True » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:51 am

Verderer wrote: In my somewhat D&D oriented campaign, I will allow certain common magic spells for those professions that would under that other system have magic spells or spell like abilities, like bards, rangers, paladins, etc. Or even dual/multiclass professions like fighter-mages. They wouldn't have access to sorcery, that would be the realm or true wizards. Wizards would naturally have access to common magic as well.

Clerics are taken care by divine magic and cults, supplemented by suitable common spells.

Paladins, templars and other holy warriors might be a bit tricky case. How do you portray their special abilities, give them divine or common magic spells that work like turn undead etc? Or maybe create identical heroic abilities?
This is precisely what I have done in Eberron.

Paladins: divine spellcasters that focus on the combat oriented spells of their cult (and mostly belong to cults with a certain combat-oriented aspect), and rarely attain rank over Acolyte. They most often also focus more on their combat skills, persistence, resilience etc. than a person focussing on his pact and lore skills.
Remember however to abandon the d&d approach as to the "class makes the man". If you wan't paladins in your cults, then the cult should have a certain "Paladin" rank, which may equal acolyte - but with different in-game rules and restrictions. But remember that they are always to be handled in-game these differences - on the paper he's just a divine spellcaster with different choices.

Turn undead: There is a spell for his in Necromantic Arts.
Heroic abilities: also a good way of handling many abilities. I will add a bunch d&d-oriented heroic abilities over this weekend I think. My examns are finally over.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
User avatar
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby DamonJynx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 am

Verderer wrote: If I want to change the spell selection even more towards D&D type spells, there a whole set of old style D&D spells in the BRP monograph Classic Fantasy. Shouldn't too hard to convert them into RQII/Wayfarer?
Mate, Rod's classic fantasy is an excellent take on BRP and I doubt it would be too much work to convert it completely to MRQ. Just remember though, that starting PC's in MRQ are a lot more competent (i.e. have higher skills and possibly more actions per combat round) than their BRP counterparts so that could have an effect on the availability of magic and other abilities.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
User avatar
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Postby PhilHibbs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 am

Lokai wrote:does the healing allow for healing of serious wounds that i hear can happen once a body area is reduced to zero health?
If a location takes twice its hits (e.g. if an arm has 5 HP, and it takes 10) then it is maimed or severed, and you need a more powerful spell to fix it. Common Magic can't help, you need Divine or Sorcery. Each form of magic has a spell for normal wounds and a spell for maimed locations, Common Magic only has the former.
Lokai
Stoat
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 am

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:20 am

need to get my paws on the rulebook.....gonna have to wait couple weeks for next paycheck :(

suggestions on best books to get so we have little more then just the core book? keeping in mind i'm more interested in books that expand upon character development options and gear i suppose :)

Wouldnt mind something with pre-existing quests so that i can kinda get a guided tour for gm'ing the game :)
User avatar
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm
Contact:

Postby danskmacabre » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 am

Lokai wrote: suggestions on best books to get so we have little more then just the core book? keeping in mind i'm more interested in books that expand upon character development options and gear i suppose :)
If you're just running MRQ2 in a generic Fantasy world (as opposed to some of the worlds available such as Elric etc by Mongoose) I would get the following:

Core Rules
Monster Coliseum

That's all you need really.
If you want to use Necromancy/undead etc.. then get "Necromantic Arts", it's quite good.

I'm told that even though there's loads of errors (There IS an Errata though) in "Arms & Equipment", it's still pretty good and details magic items and stuff like that in addition to lots of mundane equipment AND it's on offer for £10 ATM.

If you want to use a Vikings setting, The "Vikings" sourcebook I'm told is very good.

Wouldnt mind something with pre-existing quests so that i can kinda get a guided tour for gm'ing the game :)
There's quite a few Scenarios in the Signs and Portents emag published by Mongoose.
There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum detailing the various issues and their contents.
User avatar
languagegeek
Mongoose
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ontario

Postby languagegeek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm

danskmacabre wrote:I'm told that even though there's loads of errors (There IS an Errata though) in "Arms & Equipment", it's still pretty good and details magic items and stuff like that in addition to lots of mundane equipment AND it's on offer for £10 ATM.
If you get the Arms & Equipment PDF (even cheaper), it's easy to swap in the tables from the errata. Once done, there's nothing wrong with the book. I use it for magic item creation and different weapon/armour materials. Had I bought the hardcover I'd be disappointed, having bought the PDF, everything's cool.
Heresy is the life of a mythology, and orthodoxy is the death — J. Campbell
Lokai
Stoat
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 am

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 pm

How do i go about buying the books in pdf format? I don't see that option in the online store. I like pdf's for just that reason you can usually modify them and they tend to be cheaper as it costs them essentially nothing in the physical sense :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests