Wayfarer

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 am

Deleriad wrote:Personally I would like to various explanations of rules and examples of how to apply them in a setting re-written to cover the 18 months of questions here...
If they don't take full notice and advantage of the clarrifications, etc. that have happened in Mongooses own forums, then it would be completely reprehensible and they'll deserve the wrath of the fans. I'm sure they won't miss the opportunity....
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose

Postby Grimolde » Fri May 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I see no reason why they cannot 'update' the new game, and iron out the little kinks. There aren't that many.

If Wayfarers is just a reprint with the Glorantha stuff omitted, then I can see no reason to purchase it. There's little to no incentive to do so.

This is a chance to improve on an already robust game engine. To not bother would hurt the game, the gamers, and the company.

No winners all round.
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby danskmacabre » Fri May 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Grimolde wrote:I think it would be a good idea to offer support in making Wayfarer a less gritty combat system. Make it an option. This may be as simple as dropping hit locations. I'm not sure.

It already has an option to drop hit locations for NPCs, you could just apply that for PCs.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm

If you did so you would need to have serious look at the Combat maneuvores as many of them no longer work RAW - as we found out with total HP NPCs

accroding to the recent post on Planet Mongoose, they may be coming round to tweeking it a bit......

We will re-release the core book (the mechanics unchanged, with the exception of integration of errata and a few clarifications - anything new will be posted, for free, on our web site for owners of the RQII rulebook), Arms & Equipment and the Monster Coliseum (renamed and potentially with the arena rules removed - we wanted the book to be more than just a monster manual, but it seems that is exactly what most people wanted!). Those will appear fairly quickly, as they form the core of the game, but we will also bring back Empires and Vikings, and likely Necromantic Arts a little further down the line.
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby danskmacabre » Fri May 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Da Boss wrote:If you did so you would need to have serious look at the Combat maneuvores as many of them no longer work RAW - as we found out with total HP NPCs
Oh yeah, I guess things like "choose location" would be a bit pointless for starters.. heh.
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Fri May 27, 2011 8:46 pm

DamonJynx wrote:I tend to agree. Although it would be good if Mongoose maintained support for its current fantasy settings; Elric, Wraith Recon, Deus Vult, Clockwork & Chivalry (great name BTW) and the soon to be released Age of Treason.
It's probably worth pointing out that Clockwork & Chivalry isn't a Mongoose setting, its ours, and we certainly intend to continue supporting it! :D
--
Ken Walton
Cakebread & Walton: Purveyors of Fine Imaginings
Clockwork & Chivalry RPG available from Cubicle 7
http://www.clockworkandchivalry.co.uk
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 pm

danskmacabre wrote:
Grimolde wrote:I think it would be a good idea to offer support in making Wayfarer a less gritty combat system. Make it an option. This may be as simple as dropping hit locations. I'm not sure.

It already has an option to drop hit locations for NPCs, you could just apply that for PCs.
The gritty combat is one of the best parts of Runequest!!!
Welcome to our agreed reality
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat May 28, 2011 12:18 am

taxboy wrote:The gritty combat is one of the best parts of Runequest!!!
Me, I love the magic system.

Nowadays, I find myself wondering whether or not I can improve on it.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Vile » Sat May 28, 2011 1:56 am

carandol wrote:It's probably worth pointing out that Clockwork & Chivalry isn't a Mongoose setting, its ours, and we certainly intend to continue supporting it! :D
Will you re-issue your books once (if) Wayfarer happens? What will be the status of existing MRQ2 licence holders? Obviously you'll have to give up the licence (whether that means you'll have to sell/pulp your books after a certain period I don't know), so will you try to get a Wayfarer licence instead? It should be cheaper, too! :wink:

And if it doesn't happen, will you re-write/re-licence them for another system? Any chance of moving to BRP?
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat May 28, 2011 7:40 am

IMO the current core system works very nicely and should be left alone.
OK, there might be a couple of clunky bits and some buffing/polishing might benefit - as a thought, Mongoose could run run an (official) thread asking us, the fans, to comment on what we think needs fixing and with suggestions. That then could get us players/GMs to go a big chunk of the work.
They did a similar think with Hackmaster 4,.0 and that worked very well (ended in a 16 page errata book). However, Kenzer then lost the license and lost the core rules system. I haven't touched anything from there since.

With Wayfarer though, the core rules are retained (which is very good) and, at most, could do with embodying collected errata.

Essentially we're having terrific Deus Vault fun and want it to contune without disruption..
Verderer
Mongoose

Postby Verderer » Sat May 28, 2011 8:38 am

Personally I wouldn't go changing anything in Wayfarer/RQII combat system. (Clarify, certainly.) Combat maneuvres and hit locations are what make this game so special, and if you go changing it, it will become just another d100 and would make me wonder why bother? BRP is already doing the simple version of d100, I see no sense in trying competing with it, as it has a head-start in this. The appeal of Wayfarer should be in its unique, deadly and realistic combat system. IMHO of course.

It is the magic system I am not so sure about. The current system offers an interesting mix, but I wonder if this is too Runequest and rune centred for generic use? I've been trying to think how to bring the RQII magic system somewhat closer to generic high-magic system, ala. D&D 3.x, and I see some minor difficulties in this area. On the other hand the magic system is very interesting and versatile, so I don't want to dumb it down too much. Any thoughts on this?
Grimolde
Banded Mongoose

Postby Grimolde » Sat May 28, 2011 8:40 am

Verderer wrote:Personally I wouldn't go changing anything in Wayfarer/RQII combat system. (Clarify, certainly.) Combat maneuvres and hit locations are what make this game so special, and if you go changing it, it will become just another d100 and would make me wonder why bother? BRP is already doing the simple version of d100, I see no sense in trying competing with it, as it has a head-start in this. The appeal of Wayfarer should be in its unique, deadly and realistic combat system. IMHO of course.

It is the magic system I am not so sure about. The current system offers an interesting mix, but I wonder if this is too Runequest and rune centred for generic use? I've been trying to think how to bring the RQII magic system somewhat closer to generic high-magic system, ala. D&D 3.x, and I see some minor difficulties in this area. On the other hand the magic system is very interesting and versatile, so I don't want to dumb it down too much. Any thoughts on this?
+1
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 am

Vile wrote:
carandol wrote:It's probably worth pointing out that Clockwork & Chivalry isn't a Mongoose setting, its ours, and we certainly intend to continue supporting it! :D
Will you re-issue your books once (if) Wayfarer happens? What will be the status of existing MRQ2 licence holders? Obviously you'll have to give up the licence (whether that means you'll have to sell/pulp your books after a certain period I don't know), so will you try to get a Wayfarer licence instead? It should be cheaper, too! :wink:

And if it doesn't happen, will you re-write/re-licence them for another system? Any chance of moving to BRP?
While theoretically we have to pulp any stocks remaining in the warehouse once the license expires, in practice, due to the way digital printing works (i.e. print small quantities as and when they're needed rather than all at once) it won't be a problem. As for what we're doing next - we're pretty sure of the way forward, but we're currently deep into getting the Airship Pirates RPG (http://airshippirates.abneypark.com/) ready for Gencon release, so aren't planning to sit down and work out the details until we've got more time. (Notice the subtle and gratuitous plug there?) Once all our ducks are lined up and singing from the same hymn sheet (bless 'em) we'll make an announcement. The next C&C supplement, Divers & Sundry will be coming out as planned next month, and the next Kingdom & Commonwealth adventure, Hobbes: Leviathan in the winter, and that's all I'm saying at the moment! :)
--
Ken Walton
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat May 28, 2011 8:47 am

So what is minimum economic size to convert a pdf to a hard copy book?
drdentista
Stoat

Postby drdentista » Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 am

Verderer wrote:It is the magic system I am not so sure about. The current system offers an interesting mix, but I wonder if this is too Runequest and rune centred for generic use? I've been trying to think how to bring the RQII magic system somewhat closer to generic high-magic system, ala. D&D 3.x, and I see some minor difficulties in this area. On the other hand the magic system is very interesting and versatile, so I don't want to dumb it down too much. Any thoughts on this?
Yep, that's my feeling too. I never really liked the RQ magic system for other settings. It's all very Glorantha to me. Right now I'm looking into the magic system of an old OOP Swedish RPG, "Drakar och Demoner" (Dragons & Demons) which is a BRP derivative, but that evolved along quite different lines than RQ/BRP. Excellent stuff and easy to integrate into the current MRQ2/WF system...
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Sat May 28, 2011 8:52 am

Morgan d'Barganfore wrote:So what is minimum economic size to convert a pdf to a hard copy book?
I really would't like to hazard a guess! Cubicle 7 deals with all the stock control and distribution side of things for Cakebread & Walton, we just send them a finished PDF and let them do all the work.
--
Ken Walton
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Sat May 28, 2011 9:06 am

carandol wrote:As for what we're doing next - we're pretty sure of the way forward, but we're currently deep into getting the Airship Pirates RPG (http://airshippirates.abneypark.com/) ready for Gencon release
That got me interested and then I saw it was yet ANOTHER post-apocalyptic setting. Yawn. It seems imagination and originality in the RPG industry has evaporated as of late.
carandol
Mongoose

Postby carandol » Sat May 28, 2011 9:26 am

Stainless wrote:
carandol wrote:As for what we're doing next - we're pretty sure of the way forward, but we're currently deep into getting the Airship Pirates RPG (http://airshippirates.abneypark.com/) ready for Gencon release
That got me interested and then I saw it was yet ANOTHER post-apocalyptic setting. Yawn. It seems imagination and originality in the RPG industry has evaporated as of late.
Ouch. :shock: Are you always that rude to writers to their faces?

If it were *just* a post-apocalypse game, fair enough. But I can't actually think of any other post-apocalyptic games that include steampunk, Neovictorian dystopias, time travel, giant man-eating beasts, flying cities, where you get to play airship pirates. And certainly not one with music by Abney Park. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3zPE5OqJg

Oh now, see, you've stung me into further advertising. I'll stop now. :)
--
Ken Walton
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat May 28, 2011 9:53 am

I'm hoping the Mongoose guys will start to populate this topic - then we can start the transition (you know, hearts and minds stuff) to Wayfarer..
Stainless
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Stainless » Sat May 28, 2011 11:08 am

carandol wrote:
Stainless wrote:
Ouch. :shock: Are you always that rude to writers to their faces?

If it were *just* a post-apocalypse game, fair enough. But I can't actually think of any other post-apocalyptic games that include steampunk, Neovictorian dystopias, time travel, giant man-eating beasts, flying cities, where you get to play airship pirates. And certainly not one with music by Abney Park. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3zPE5OqJg

Oh now, see, you've stung me into further advertising. I'll stop now. :)
Sorry, I woke up in a v. bad mood today due to a night of mayhem with my children. No sleep and forums don't mix. :x Actually, the more you "sell" it to me, the more I'm not interested. Sorry. To my personal tastes, chucking as many genres and tropes into a game in the hope that something sticks with someone just isn't my thing. I could say a lot more but it's neither the time or place....