Wayfarer

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Postby Builder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Lokai wrote:How do i go about buying the books in pdf format? I don't see that option in the online store. I like pdf's for just that reason you can usually modify them and they tend to be cheaper as it costs them essentially nothing in the physical sense :)
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/ is where you want to go to pick up the PDF copies of things.
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
Lokai
Stoat

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 pm

thank you for that :)

at those prices i'll end up picking up quite a few of them. Are there any issues i should know about these pdf files? will i have an issue using it on my home pc and or my laptop? not sure if they have some kind of protection scheme that would prevent me from having them on both my computers and or backing them up in case i have to wipe my hard drives....which i do occasionally when things start acting suspicious.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm

Lokai wrote:thank you for that :)

at those prices i'll end up picking up quite a few of them. Are there any issues i should know about these pdf files? will i have an issue using it on my home pc and or my laptop? not sure if they have some kind of protection scheme that would prevent me from having them on both my computers and or backing them up in case i have to wipe my hard drives....which i do occasionally when things start acting suspicious.
Not that I know off. I use books, but I would advice you to add them to a dropbox account (obviously not in the public folder as that would be infringement). That way you will always have access to them.

- Dan
Check out my RuneQuest 6 blog!. It now has an adventure idea generator :)

Author of the Eberron for Legend/MRQ2 conversion:
http://runequill.com/files/Eberron_Legend.pdf
danskmacabre
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby danskmacabre » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:36 pm

languagegeek wrote:If you get the Arms & Equipment PDF (even cheaper), it's easy to swap in the tables from the errata. Once done, there's nothing wrong with the book. I use it for magic item creation and different weapon/armour materials. Had I bought the hardcover I'd be disappointed, having bought the PDF, everything's cool.
I personally prefer the dead tree versions, but I guess that's personal taste.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Lokai wrote:Are there any issues i should know about these pdf files? will i have an issue using it on my home pc and or my laptop?
The PDFs are watermarked, each page gets a little image at the bottom with your account name and a unique number. Also, they are "locked" so you can't edit them, but that can be circumvented with a number of free online tools if you want to add your own bookmarks. But no issues with copying them onto multiple devices.
languagegeek
Mongoose

Postby languagegeek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Lokai wrote:Are there any issues i should know about these pdf files?
I wish they were properly layered so I could turn off any background images. As I'll be printing things out, the borders waste ink and look bad. For example, at the top and bottom of the Elric Cults book, there is a black border which when printed makes the page look like a poorly placed photocopy. Assuming the layout/design people at Mongoose have decent desktop publishing software, it's be a breeze for them to do layers.
Heresy is the life of a mythology, and orthodoxy is the death — J. Campbell
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:57 pm

:shock:

Y'know, I don't think I've had a post of mine ever go to eight pages on here before. :)
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:15 pm

alex_greene wrote::shock:

Y'know, I don't think I've had a post of mine ever go to eight pages on here before. :)
Maybe you aren't controversial enough! ;)
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Dan True wrote:Not that I know off. I use books, but I would advice you to add them to a dropbox account (obviously not in the public folder as that would be infringement). That way you will always have access to them.

- Dan
Only if you copy and distribute the link! :wink:
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
Lokai
Stoat

Postby Lokai » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

I'll save getting the "dead tree" versions when they release it as wayfarer.....until then i can get my paws on more material so i can at least get a feel for the game and play it abit prior to picking up wayfarer when it is released :)

sucky that i won't be able to modify them as it is nice to make changes as per errata but sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too :(
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 am

Is there any kind of hint as to when this Wayfarer will see the light of day???
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
DamonJynx
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby DamonJynx » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 am

Mithras wrote:Is there any kind of hint as to when this Wayfarer will see the light of day???
November I believe.
Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at damonjynx.blogspot.com
Check out, The Blood Path available NOW!
Arcania of Legend available now!
Bedlam in Blackcliffe available now!
duncan_disorderly
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby duncan_disorderly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:21 am

languagegeek wrote: Assuming the layout/design people at Mongoose have decent desktop publishing software, it's be a breeze for them to do layers.
There are far too many assumptions in that sentance for me...
Mongoose_Will
Stoat

Postby Mongoose_Will » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 am

languagegeek wrote:Assuming the layout/design people at Mongoose have decent desktop publishing software, it's be a breeze for them to do layers.
This is not an issue and we would be happy to oblige on all future eBooks, if there is any older products in perticular you would like with layers included, it may be worth contacting Matt.
Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives - William Dement
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 pm

@Matt or Will:

Is it possible for you to include the table with range penalties from SpellCom in the new Wayfarer core book? The fact that you can shoot a sling 200 m (or any other weapon) without penalty is just silly, in a system so otherwise realistic.

Or some other form of range penalty.

- Dan

ajs
Shrew

Postby ajs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Dan True wrote:@Matt or Will:

Is it possible for you to include the table with range penalties from SpellCom in the new Wayfarer core book? The fact that you can shoot a sling 200 m (or any other weapon) without penalty is just silly, in a system so otherwise realistic.

- Dan
Could they be put up on the wiki?
DigitalMage
Banded Mongoose

Postby DigitalMage » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:Also, they are "locked" so you can't edit them, but that can be circumvented with a number of free online tools if you want to add your own bookmarks. But no issues with copying them onto multiple devices.
Are the Mongoose PDFs still not bookmarked? I thought they had finally started doing that? If not how easy are those free online tools to use to add bookmarks (and where can I get them)?
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Dan True wrote:@Matt or Will:

- Dan
There's a really simple way of doing this which is to say that in combat situations where people are moving around that the effective range for a missile weapon is something like INT or DEX (or maybe INT+DEX) in metres. Anything more than that is half percentage.

The listed ranges can then be used for attacks from surprise where there is time to aim against a target that's either mostly stationary or moving predictably.

That seems a much easier fix than going through weapons and changing all their stats.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:09 pm

DigitalMage wrote:Are the Mongoose PDFs still not bookmarked? I thought they had finally started doing that? If not how easy are those free online tools to use to add bookmarks (and where can I get them)?
I haven't logged on to Drivethru for ages to check for updates, so I don't know.
Dan True
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Dan True » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm

ajs wrote: Could they be put up on the wiki?
Perhaps, but I think a lot of players outside this forum don't know about the wiki - and stuff like range penalties really should be part of a core system. When the book is being revised anyway, they might as well include the this.
Deleriad wrote: That seems a much easier fix than going through weapons and changing all their stats.
I wasn't suggesting changing stats of the weapons ;)
SpellCom has a table with realistic weapon penalties, based on range and size of the target. It this I mean to include in the core rules.

- Dan