Cities of the Young Kingdom versions?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Puck2099
Shrew

Cities of the Young Kingdom versions?

Postby Puck2099 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am

Hello,

I'm doing an article for my blog about Stormbringer / Elric RPG history and I'm a bit confused about Mongoose books.

I know there is a recent "Cities of the Young Kingdoms: The South : Elric of Melnibone" for RQII version, but looking at IGUK I see another book called the same with a different cover so I thought it was a RQI version.

My doubt is that looking at its Mongoose reference it looks like a RQII book so I don't know if it is a problem with a different cover (like the different RQII rune) or they really are two versions like Cults of the Young Kingdoms.

The covers I say are the following:

Thanks for your help.
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Fri May 06, 2011 11:33 am

The big picture is, indeed, Cities of the YK.

The smaller picture is the Elric GM's screen.

Its possible that, before the lovely art you see on the big picture was finished, Mongoose used a placeholder (its happened before) or simply that IGUK got its facts wrong.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
Puck2099
Shrew

Postby Puck2099 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 am

Loz wrote:The big picture is, indeed, Cities of the YK.

The smaller picture is the Elric GM's screen.

Its possible that, before the lovely art you see on the big picture was finished, Mongoose used a placeholder (its happened before) or simply that IGUK got its facts wrong.
Thanks Loz, so there is only one Cities of the YK, right?

Loz, I think these are all the Elric's books published by Moongoose, could you tell me if I'm missing anyone, please?

Elric of Melnibone First Edition (2007)
- Elric of Melnibone (2007)
- Bright Shadows (2007)
- Magic of the Young Kingdoms (2008)
- Elric Companion (The) (2008)
- Cults of the Young Kingdoms (2008)
- Dream Realms (2009)

Elric of Melnibone Second Edition (2011)
- Elric of Melnibone (2011)
- Elric of Melnibone Games Master's Screen (2011)
- Cults of the Young Kingdoms (2011)
- Cities of the Young Kingdoms 1: The South (2011)

Thanks
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Fri May 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Yes, there's only one 'Cities of the YK' book (so far - a series is planned but I've no idea what's happening on the next volumes).

As to your summary of the other titles, you've missed the various MRQ Hawkmoon books but for Elric its spot-on.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Cities of the Young Kingdom versions?

Postby havercake lad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Shad, another YK city, is detailed in 'Secrets of the Steppes'. It adopts the same format as Loz used in his excellent Cities book. A further city, Xanardwys, is covered in the,as yet unpublished 'Talons of Winter' Elric/Legend book.

Incidently, I added a plot hook in the 'Dreams of Glory' scenario seed in 'Secrets of the Steppes' that could be used to motivate adventures based in Shad to journey on a misson to Raschil.
tarkhan bey
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby tarkhan bey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Secrets of the Steppes is very good. I finally gave up on waiting for the dead tree andwent for the PDF. Worth every penny. :)
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 am

tarkhan bey wrote:Secrets of the Steppes is very good. I finally gave up on waiting for the dead tree andwent for the PDF. Worth every penny. :)
Printed version is available, but while my local RPG stores list it as a product they don't seem to have any copies of it. If I understand correctly Mongoose has taken smaller prints of their new RPG products and while they intend to provide some copies to RPG stores at some point, the only way you can certainly find a printed copy of Secrets is by ordering it directly from Mongoose. I did that and Matt gave me a complimentary .pdf version.