The future

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
johnmarron
Weasel

Postby johnmarron » Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Verderer wrote:Well, without these other campaign worlds, I would probably never have picked up RQII rules. Glorantha just doesn't appeal to me, and I have tried it in the AH 3rd edition form too. I don't suppose I am alone in this?
Definitely not. I'm a Glorantha non-fan, and am interested in the RQ rules to run lots of other settings (both Mongoose and third party published as well as adapted or homebrewed).

John
Redcrow
Mongoose

Postby Redcrow » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm still hoping to one day see an official Conan setting for MRQ2.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 pm

Only reason I bought RQ was for Clockwork & Chivalry. The rules book is all I have bought. I would probably have bought Arms and Equipment, if it hadn't been so poor. I would only be looking for generic supplements in the future, unless there came a really special new setting.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
ThatGuy
Banded Mongoose

Postby ThatGuy » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm

As a Glorantha fan that doesn't play there as much any more, I think other stuff is needed and good. I will say, however, that it is my opinion that Glorantha needs to continue to be supported AND...that folk shouldn't shy away from the books simply because they are "Glorantha."

One of the things I absolutely love about the MRQ2 line is that- having bought everything except the Elric and C&C stuff- everything works together. You can litterally use all the books together and have an almost endless supply of adventure hooks and so on.

Between the Vikings book and the Glorantha book- and the Wraith Recon book- I can't imagine running out of ideas for at least four years, letting with a group weekly. Seriously. There are that many.

That said, I already know that the Elric stuff and C&C stuff have great stuff I can use in them, and I may well get 'em eventually- for simply that reason. Especially C&C if I want to get into black powder stuff (they seem to have really figured that stuff out well from what I've seen in S&P. Great job guys).

So, for me right now, it's more monsters (Monster Island), more spirit and gristly magic stuff (dark S&S stuff- Blood Magic), and maybe a Greek or Roman book like the Vikings book (I would seriously consider a Vikings vs. campaign if this happened. Awesome).

I will add for Matt though, that I, for one, realize a lot of stuff has been released for MRQ2. We all just love it so much, we want to see more. :)
Let's say, just for argument's sake, you're right...
gran_orco
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby gran_orco » Fri May 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Will we see a Races vol. 2 book? The first book was awesome, I would be very sad if we cannot see gloranthan elfs and dwarfs :(
Is this the end of runequest line?
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Sat May 07, 2011 5:00 pm

PhilHibbs wrote:Is RuneQuest perhaps suffering from too many settings? Glorantha, Deus Vult, Wraith Recon, Clockwork & Chivalry, Age of Treason - if I want to write a RuneQuest scenario for S&P, which setting do I target? It's hard to write a scenario that could be used equally in Dragon Pass or the Holy Land.
Some people say that the trouble with RuneQuest is that is has too few settings.

People buy whichever setting appeals to them.

Writing for S&P shouldn't be an issue. I use scenarios from different settings with only a few changes. If you want to write a generic scenario that works in several settings then go ahead, you could even include some guidance as to how to use the scenario in different settings.

But concentrating on Glorantha, or any other single setting, would be a mistake, in my opinion.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Sat May 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Loz wrote:Glorantha's always suffered from the lots of books approach. I remember carting around the rules, Cults of Prax, Griffin Mountain/Pavis/Rubble/Borderlands... its extremely difficult to get all that nuance and myth into one, handy to port volume.

Its not restricted to Glorantha, either. In the recent Rolemaster game I was in, the GM had with him about a dozen books, plus homebrew rules variants and the D&D modules he was using as the basis for the adventures.

And a HUGE box of miniatures, battle mats, scenery and other stuff!
Well, a lot of games can be played with a lot less stuff.

But yes, the pile of stuff I drag to our Rolemaster game is pretty big :)

Character law, arms law, spell law, companions 1-4, arms companion, monsters&treasure (or whatever its called) and War law. Yikes.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
sdavies2720
Banded Mongoose

Postby sdavies2720 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:12 am

weasel_fierce wrote:Well, a lot of games can be played with a lot less stuff.

But yes, the pile of stuff I drag to our Rolemaster game is pretty big :)

Character law, arms law, spell law, companions 1-4, arms companion, monsters&treasure (or whatever its called) and War law. Yikes.
One of the things that originally drew me to RQ was having 'everything' (life was simpler in the early days of RPGs) in one thin book. Still I find that I don't need as many books as I did for D&D3.5.

Steve
Redcrow
Mongoose

Postby Redcrow » Sun May 08, 2011 4:56 am

Greg Smith wrote:Only reason I bought RQ was for Clockwork & Chivalry. The rules book is all I have bought. I would probably have bought Arms and Equipment, if it hadn't been so poor. I would only be looking for generic supplements in the future, unless there came a really special new setting.
I really like the Clockwork & Chivalry setting, but haven't had any luck finding a group near me or online to try it with.