MRQ2 rules in Trakorien/Ereb Altor

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
drdentista
Stoat

MRQ2 rules in Trakorien/Ereb Altor

Postby drdentista » Wed May 04, 2011 2:10 pm

In the 80s and 90s there was a Swedish Fantasy RPG called "Drakar och Demoner" (Dragons and Demons) which was derived from BRP, but evolved as a BRP variant. I never played that game at the time, but have gotten my hands on some old adventures and I must say, it's excellent material! Unfortunately only available in Swedish...

Now, I wonder if any Swedish RuneQuesters could comment on the compatibility of the DoD material and RQ? Would it be easy to use the DoD stuff for an MRQ2 campaign? I'm thinking about the "Svavelvinter" epos in particular...
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 am

Skill ratings and such should translate pretty much as is (for the older percentile game).

If its the later version where they used a D20 roll under, just multiply skills by 5.

THey had heroic abilities that might be good inspiration for same in MRQ.

The magic system was a bit unique (but very good). Its sort of a mix of spirit magic and sorcery. You can probably just look at the spell names and find Runequest equivalents.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
drdentista
Stoat

Postby drdentista » Sun May 08, 2011 6:35 am

Thanks, Weasel :-) I figured as much. I have had time to look over the rules now, and it's pretty much RQ...
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Sun May 08, 2011 3:07 pm

yeah, there'll be a few differences but they are minor.

You'll need to add Resilience skill ratings and such but thats easy enough
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
drdentista
Stoat

Postby drdentista » Wed May 18, 2011 7:18 am

I've had time to read the DoD rules even closer now, and I must say that many of the "new" things Mongoose brought in the new editions of RQ were there in the Swedish version already in -91-94! Also, I think that the magic system is excellent! If you want to play RQ in another setting, without the heavy emphasis on cults and myths, then DoD and Ereb Altor are so good! It has that "genuine" feeling that Glorantha has, but quite another feel! I'll use MRQ2, but replace the magic with the Swedish system, I think it will be nice for a non-Gloranthan game! So, if you're a Scandinavian speaking runequester looking for an alternative setting, check out DoD and Ereb Altor! I also think that the rules were released in Danish and Norwegian, but I'm not sure...