How would you make a Jedi?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
cerebrolator
Stoat

How would you make a Jedi?

Postby cerebrolator » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 pm

Yes, I know this isn't Star Wars. However, I've had a Star Wars story in mind for a long time but really have a hard time dealing with d20 (please don't attack me for this since I'm only stating my attitude). The technology associated with Star Wars isn't substantive or essential for my story so I think I could translate it to a fantasy setting. Jedi play a prominent role in the story so I'm thinking how could a Jedi-ish character be made in RQII?

Some of the Heroic Abilities simulate them well. My biggest question is would some of the force abilities (like shoving stuff telekinetically) be simulated using divine magic or sorcery? The problem that I see with using sorcery is that the Jedi powers are basically instantaneous but sorcery takes a number of CAs dependent upon the number of manipulations. Divine magic does emulate the force in some ways since the jedi are basically a religious order. Anyway, I'm not sure which way to go so I'd love your advice, opinions, and suggestions.
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: How would you make a Jedi?

Postby tneva82 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:02 am

cerebrolator wrote: Jedi play a prominent role in the story so I'm thinking how could a Jedi-ish character be made in RQII?
Any particular reason why use RQII? Cross-genre setting crossovers between rulesets are lot trickier than finding alternative ruleset from same genre. I'm sure RQII is good ruleset(haven't received mine yet. Just ordered it) but switching sci-fi world into it is lot more work than switching some other fantasy world into it.

For alternatives why don't you look at say Traveller where is Jedi-like character generation already available in Psion book?

(again nothing against RQII. I have bought and am just waiting for it. But would seem less work to use traveller rules for star wars and RQII for fantasy/pre-gunpowder era real world settings).
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

You can't be friend with everybody but you can be friendly to everybody
cerebrolator
Stoat

Postby cerebrolator » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Those are some good questions and points, tneva82. I don't think that I made myself clear enough. I'm not actually setting the campaign in a sci-fi world. The story I want to tell doesn't require spaceships, droids, computers, blasters, or even lightsabers. I simply want characters that are similar to jedi so I was wondering how the RQII community would simulate something like force powers in RQII.

I really like the RQII engine. IMO, the combat system would do a wonderful job of simulating lightsaber duels. The first time that I GMed I could feel the potential the RQII had to simulate light saber combat so I've simply been toying with the idea for the last month.

Perhaps you are right and I should just play out the story in a system designed to handle sci-fi or at least sci-fantasy. It's just hard to give up the RQII goodness. :(

I'm intrigued by your comment about Traveller. I have played T20 Traveller and GURPS Interstellar Wars Traveller. As I've already mentioned, I generally don't like d20 systems. GURPS isn't my favorite either. I do like sci-fi and would be very interested in what version of Traveller you're familiar with and how it works. What is the game system like?
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:26 pm

I really like the RQII engine. IMO, the combat system would do a wonderful job of simulating lightsaber duels. The first time that I GMed I could feel the potential the RQII had to simulate light saber combat so I've simply been toying with the idea for the last month.

One of the first things we tried to simulate with the combat system was a Jedi combat akin to that between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul from 'Phantom Menace'.

It worked well.

Jedi powers seem to be a combination of sorcery and divine magic, although clearly there are no pacts or grimoires involved and effects are applied faster (typically instantaneously and using a CA to effect). I think you'd need to take some of the spells from Common, Divine and Sorcery and create a new, Jedi Power sub-set based around Magic Point cost. You could change the Common Magic skill to Jedi Power and that becomes the casting chance.

Its certainly do-able though, and shouldn't take too much effort to create a balanced sub-set of powers.
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
cerebrolator
Stoat

Postby cerebrolator » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Great ideas, Loz! Thanks!

There are a couple of heroic abilities that fit well too. For example, Arrow Cutting, Defiant Leap, and Duelist.
tneva82
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby tneva82 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:34 pm

cerebrolator wrote:Those are some good questions and points, tneva82. I don't think that I made myself clear enough. I'm not actually setting the campaign in a sci-fi world. The story I want to tell doesn't require spaceships, droids, computers, blasters, or even lightsabers. I simply want characters that are similar to jedi so I was wondering how the RQII community would simulate something like force powers in RQII.
Right. That makes sense then ;-)
Well if it's RQII combat you want then why not figure out some alternative rules for jedi-forces as an add-on? Nothing says you can't add own rules as you wish so if RQII suits 90% for you why not change the remaining 10%? Can't believe RQII wouldn't be suitable for altering it seeing as how Mongoose seems to aim for it to be another generic ruleset like traveller except this one for fantasy.

Since I haven't yet seen RQII rules can't give suggestions on how those would work but I'm sure people here can give you pointers.
I'm intrigued by your comment about Traveller. I have played T20 Traveller and GURPS Interstellar Wars Traveller. As I've already mentioned, I generally don't like d20 systems. GURPS isn't my favorite either. I do like sci-fi and would be very interested in what version of Traveller you're familiar with and how it works. What is the game system like?
Well I'm using Mongoose's traveller. One way to get idea of how it works is to download the developers pack which is available at this site. It's free and contains all the _open_ rules. Not career tables or such but still gives good overview. Also it's just plain text so no fancy layouts.

But basic dice throw is 2d6+modifiers>=target number is success(common target number is 8+). Basic method of generating characters is throw attributes and then enlist for careers(random roll whether you make it or not with target number and what attribute you use based on the career). In career you get skills, events, contacts and whatnot based on random roll(and few simple choices).

Generally pretty flexible system(Mongoose already has several alternative settings for it like Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Hammer's Slammer and soon Reign of Discordia) and it's supplements have tools for wide variety of alternative settings for gaming groups to work out(like star wars, dune etc). I have rough version of sword&sorcery version for myself as well :D Though as I said cross-genre is LOTS of work and I'm still figuring out few issues on that S&S(and I might just skip it and switch to RQII for my Conan ruleset. I don't like D20 either!) version.

I like it and since I misunderstood that you wanted to use RQII for star wars thought traveller would be better fit. But if you want fantasy setting with Jedi like characters then RQII is probably easier to work with ;-)
皆と友達ができませんが皆に友好的ができます

You can't be friend with everybody but you can be friendly to everybody
sdavies2720
Banded Mongoose

Postby sdavies2720 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:51 pm

cerebrolator wrote:Those are some good questions and points, tneva82. I don't think that I made myself clear enough. I'm not actually setting the campaign in a sci-fi world. The story I want to tell doesn't require spaceships, droids, computers, blasters, or even lightsabers. I simply want characters that are similar to jedi so I was wondering how the RQII community would simulate something like force powers in RQII.
You might also check out "Dragon Lines" published recently by Alehtar Games (http://www.alephtargames.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=57).

I don't have any relationship with Alephtar, but I've downloaded the rules and it looks like they have some nice power-base effects that could work for Jedi. It's designed for RQ & variants, and nicely put together so using it should be straightforward.

Steve
Tal
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tal » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 pm

The BRP rulebook, the newer one, has a "jedi" write up near the back of the book.Basically it uses the psionics from earlier in the book.
You could also probably adapt the "ki" rules from Avalon Hill's Land of the Ninja boxed set or the suppliment that had "Ki" in it for MRQ. Sorry can't remember the name of it.
Dalmuti
Cub

Postby Dalmuti » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 am

MGRQ2 is a great system, but I don't think it's the best choice for Star Wars. If you want to play Star Wars and you don't like the D20 or SAGA (neither of which are very good IMO), just go with the WEG D6. It's easy to find a download online of pretty much the whole line and it really works well with SW. The system is pretty simple and just has the right feel to it for the whole SW thing.
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mugen » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:17 pm

I'd use a combination of Common Magic and Sorcery for Jedi Powers.
Of course, there are no Grimoires in Star Wars, so I'd only keep skills and spells without any need for physical books.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 am

Perhaps it's a 'microcosmic' grimoire?

Just because it's not a "physical" book (or other item)....
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.