A few rules questions

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

A few rules questions

Postby weasel_fierce » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:30 am

Apologies if these has been covered elsewhere
If there are official answers,those are appreciated, but even if not, I'd love to hear how people have tackled it for their own games

Fatigue:
Page 61 specifies that for heavy activity (sprinting, fighting) you have to test after a number of actions equal to your CON.
Page 63 says that sprinting requires a test after a number of rounds equal to CON

Movement
The movement rules on page 63 are given per round, but in the combat chapter, Movement is a single action.
So if my movement rate is 8 and I spend one action out of 2 available, do I move 4 meters or 8 ?

Multiple weapons
Using two weapons gives me an extra action. But nothing prevents me from spending that action moving. Obviously, this is an easy house rule (extra action must be spent to attack or parry, possibly even with the extra weapon) but curious about how people have used this in their games.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
Antalon
Mongoose

Re: A few rules questions

Postby Antalon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:56 am

weasel_fierce wrote:
Apologies if these has been covered elsewhere
If there are official answers,those are appreciated, but even if not, I'd love to hear how people have tackled it for their own games
There have been official answers to some of these
Fatigue:
Page 61 specifies that for heavy activity (sprinting, fighting) you have to test after a number of actions equal to your CON.
Page 63 says that sprinting requires a test after a number of rounds equal to CON
I think this has been clarified that references to CA for movement or fatigue should be measured in rounds instead. So number of rounds = CON, not CA. It makes bookeeping a lot easier if nothing else!

Movement
The movement rules on page 63 are given per round, but in the combat chapter, Movement is a single action.
So if my movement rate is 8 and I spend one action out of 2 available, do I move 4 meters or 8 ?
Movement has been treated in a more abstract way than previous editions - there is no set distance per CA. Bascially, you can move up to 8m in a combat round. Whether this costs a CA is upto the GM, and you can usually combine movement with another action which may well cost a CA. So, move and attack, move and draw a weapon, move and reload etc. Sprinting would likely cost a CA. Moving across difficult terrain (requiring an Acrobatics or Athletics check for example) may cost a CA.

The charge action does not specify how far you can move and, again, the Dev's have indicated that this is down to GM judgement given the circumstances, but somewhere from 2 - 40 metres.

This is a change in style - but fits with the ethos of RQII that it is for a GM to judge what works at the time and what makes a game fun.

Multiple weapons
Using two weapons gives me an extra action. But nothing prevents me from spending that action moving. Obviously, this is an easy house rule (extra action must be spent to attack or parry, possibly even with the extra weapon) but curious about how people have used this in their games.
Its been confirmed that there is no RAW limit to what this extra action can be used for - it was a level of detail the Dev's felt unncessary, but as you say this has provoked ideas for house rules.

Antalon.
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 am

You are right on the book keeping. I do sort of like it being by action, as it reigns in the people using shields a bit. A big chunk of wood and steel is pretty tiring to haul around.

But we'll try it out and see how it goes. Most combats don't last all that long anyways :)
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce