My store just received MRQ II in the U.S.

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Dr. Halflight
Stoat

My store just received MRQ II in the U.S.

Postby Dr. Halflight » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:11 pm

I have to say, it is probably the nicest looking book I've bought from Mongoose. The presentation reminds me of Palladium's Special Edition Hardcovers (& I mean that in a good way). Interior layout is good. I love the combat system & maneuvers. Just had it about 20 minutes, but I'm really, really impressed.

I'm glad I ordered my copy & one for our shelf. I'd hate to have to wait to take this home :)

Great job Mongoose!
Malakor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malakor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

if you don't mind my asking, who is your distributor, so I can tell my local store who definitely has it?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G.K. Chesterton

http://battleaxesandbeasties.blogspot.com/

http://swashbucklersofatlantis.blogspot.com/
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Has it gone out to NZ yet?
Outtasight!
Tal
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:13 am

Just ordered mine from Noble Knight, should have it later in the week. FRP games had it in stock earlier in the week and already sold out of their initial stock, at least by what their website states.
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

Postby mwsasser » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

I'm feeling the envy!
iamtim
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby iamtim » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:40 am

Just got my copy today and... yeah, it's a *hot* book. :)
algauble
Stoat

Postby algauble » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 am

Do either of you (or anyone else who has it) care to share some details about any changes? Magic, combat system, etc.
Dr. Halflight
Stoat

Postby Dr. Halflight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 am

Malakor wrote:if you don't mind my asking, who is your distributor, so I can tell my local store who definitely has it?
I use Alliance Midwest. There only a day away :)
Dr. Halflight
Stoat

Postby Dr. Halflight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:22 am

algauble wrote:Do either of you (or anyone else who has it) care to share some details about any changes? Magic, combat system, etc.
I've been digesting it.

I apologize if any of this was already known:

Whey you Parry, your weapon's size determines the outcome. So if your weapon or shield is equal to or greater in size, you negate all damage.
If they're 1 size category smaller, you negate 1/2 damage. And if they're 2 sizes or more, you negate no damage. Since weapons have AP, this kind of surprised me. I don't think its bad, it just isn't what I was expecting.

I also need to contemplate some of the defensive maneuvers, because I don't see how they would be useful unless they hung around after the immediate Combat Action.

The book is gorgeous. The layout & writing is superb. I think this is my favorite version of character gen from any of the other RQ's I have (no, I don't own the original RQ II).
Loz
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Loz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 am

Whey you Parry, your weapon's size determines the outcome. So if your weapon or shield is equal to or greater in size, you negate all damage.
If they're 1 size category smaller, you negate 1/2 damage. And if they're 2 sizes or more, you negate no damage. Since weapons have AP, this kind of surprised me. I don't think its bad, it just isn't what I was expecting.
A weapon's defensive capabilities are not just about how many AP it has, but also its size and structure. An iron dagger, for example, is going to be naturally more resilient than a wooden quarterstaff, as reflected in its AP; however, the latter is far more effective for parrying a broadsword blow than the former. If, however, you are using your sword to deliberately target the weapon and damage it, the chances are the dagger will last longer than the quarterstaff. This is why a weapon's APs and parrying capabilities are mutually exclusive.
I also need to contemplate some of the defensive maneuvers, because I don't see how they would be useful unless they hung around after the immediate Combat Action.
When you give combat a try, you'll find that defensive manoeuvres can be literal life-savers despite how they might seem written down.
The book is gorgeous. The layout & writing is superb. I think this is my favorite version of character gen from any of the other RQ's I have (no, I don't own the original RQ II).
That's very gratifying to hear - and thanks for raising these points. Pete and I are anticipating all manner of questions and clarifications, so I guess this is as good a place to start as any! :D
What am I supposed to say?
Where are the words to answer you,
When you talk that way?

Rush - Spindrift
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 am

I don't have the book, but the thought of very tough, yet small objects, that are specifically designed to parry with came to mind... steel bucklers for example.

How are they handled (excuse the pun)? I have seen one (I mean the concave/convex ones slightly larger than a dinner plate) parry a halberd blow, so size is obviously not the only factor that must be considered.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Mongoose Pete
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:41 am

Lord High Munchkin wrote:How are they handled (excuse the pun)? I have seen one (I mean the concave/convex ones slightly larger than a dinner plate) parry a halberd blow, so size is obviously not the only factor that must be considered.
Every weapon (and I include shields as being weapons) has a size rating. Small things like a buckler or main gauche which are designed for defence are treated as Medium sized parries - capable of blocking most single handed weapons. Whilst it is possible to parry a polearm with a buckler, its small dimensions and limited mass makes it unlikely to block the entire force of the blow, i.e. half damage. That's why most sensible folks use a bigger weapon to parry when faced with polearms (or close the range to hamper the bigger weapon).

However, gaining a superior level of success can also modify the effect of your parry. The defensive manoeuvre of 'Enhance Parry' increases the size of the parrying weapon by one step, which in the case of a buckler would allow it to completely block the damage.

In RQII having the superior skill is generally better than the type of weapon(s) your character is using. Many of the combat manoeuvres can end a fight very quickly, rather than just standing there and boosting your block with a buckler. :)
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mugen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for, but something surprized me in the MRQII previews.

In the sorcery spells shown in preview 2, there was no mention of "Intensity" or "Magnitude", but instead 10s of the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill.

For instance :

"A sorcerer can affect a target of up to 3 SIZ per 10% of his Sorcery (Grimoire) skill."

What was the exact purpose behind this change ? I suspect it is not only a change in wording.

Note that I could read the book to get the answer, but as I want to support Mongoose's efforts with french versions of their games, I'll have to wait for some months :)
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Mugen wrote:I don't know if this is the right place to ask for, but something surprized me in the MRQII previews.

In the sorcery spells shown in preview 2, there was no mention of "Intensity" or "Magnitude", but instead 10s of the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill.

For instance :

"A sorcerer can affect a target of up to 3 SIZ per 10% of his Sorcery (Grimoire) skill."
Well the rulebook says that the effect of the spell now depends on the sorcery skill, not a separate Magnitude/intensity skill. The manipulation art is used to increase range, duration and magnitude etc. Increasing magnitude simply makes the spell more likely to break through countermagic but does not increase the effect of the spell. That'll take some getting used to. I like it though.
Mongoose Pete
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44 pm

Mugen wrote:In the sorcery spells shown in preview 2, there was no mention of "Intensity" or "Magnitude", but instead 10s of the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill.

What was the exact purpose behind this change ? I suspect it is not only a change in wording.
There are a number of reasons... ;)

Firstly, the Sorcery system has been overhauled so that sorcerers no longer need to dilute themselves learning dozens of separate skills. Doing this however required some fundamental changes on how their spells worked.

Tying the effect of a spell to the sorcerer's knowledge of it (rather than the Manipulation skill) provides a greater degree of consistency of what it is capable of. Splitting the base-line effect from the other, now combined, manipulations also means the sorcerer can still do innovative things with it (in terms of range, number of targets, etc), without diluting the effect/power of the spell.

Last and by no means least, Divine Magic has become significantly more potent, so Sorcery needed an edge to remain on par. :twisted:

Magnitude still exists as part of Manipulation, but it is used purely for trying to overcome/resist other magic, akin to boosting/overcharging from previous editions.
Malakor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malakor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Dr. Halflight wrote:
Malakor wrote:if you don't mind my asking, who is your distributor, so I can tell my local store who definitely has it?
I use Alliance Midwest. There only a day away :)
Thanks. I think my FLGS uses Alliance also, I'll start bugging them :D
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G.K. Chesterton

http://battleaxesandbeasties.blogspot.com/

http://swashbucklersofatlantis.blogspot.com/
gran_orco
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby gran_orco » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 pm

I have received it in Spain!!! WOWowowwoOWOWOWO
It is gorgeous!!!!!
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mugen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Mongoose Pete wrote:
Mugen wrote:In the sorcery spells shown in preview 2, there was no mention of "Intensity" or "Magnitude", but instead 10s of the Sorcery (Grimoire) skill.

There are a number of reasons... ;)

Firstly, the Sorcery system has been overhauled so that sorcerers no longer need to dilute themselves learning dozens of separate skills. Doing this however required some fundamental changes on how their spells worked.

Tying the effect of a spell to the sorcerer's knowledge of it (rather than the Manipulation skill) provides a greater degree of consistency of what it is capable of. Splitting the base-line effect from the other, now combined, manipulations also means the sorcerer can still do innovative things with it (in terms of range, number of targets, etc), without diluting the effect/power of the spell.

Last and by no means least, Divine Magic has become significantly more potent, so Sorcery needed an edge to remain on par. :twisted:

Magnitude still exists as part of Manipulation, but it is used purely for trying to overcome/resist other magic, akin to boosting/overcharging from previous editions.
Said in other words, you dissociated "Spell effects" and "Spell potency" (i.e capacity to bypass/resist other magic) but didn't introduce a new (and certainly not needed) game parameter for spell effects.

That makes sense to me.
Mongoose Pete
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Mugen wrote:Said in other words, you dissociated "Spell effects" and "Spell potency" (i.e capacity to bypass/resist other magic) but didn't introduce a new (and certainly not needed) game parameter for spell effects.
Yes, that sums it up perfectly.
That makes sense to me.
We hope it does for everyone else too. :)
Dr. Halflight
Stoat

Postby Dr. Halflight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Loz wrote: A weapon's defensive capabilities are not just about how many AP it has, but also its size and structure. An iron dagger, for example, is going to be naturally more resilient than a wooden quarterstaff, as reflected in its AP; however, the latter is far more effective for parrying a broadsword blow than the former. If, however, you are using your sword to deliberately target the weapon and damage it, the chances are the dagger will last longer than the quarterstaff. This is why a weapon's APs and parrying capabilities are mutually exclusive.
And the more I ponder, the more I agree with the decision. I can see it being much faster to simply adjust damage, if applicable, instead of remembering individual AP. It was just a surprising, but elegant change.

I think that's how I'd describe MRQ II. Elegant, through & through.