What setting for RuneQuest II?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.

What Setting would you choose to play RuneQuest II?

Glorantha
43%
Eternal Champion Multiverse (Elric, Hawkmoon, Corum, etc)
10%
Lankhmar (Sword and Sorcery)
5%
Deux Vult (Gothic medieval)
8%
Other Licenced Settings (Middle Earth, Dune, etc)
7%
Homebrew
15%
Other (please specify)
12%

Total votes: 110
Helmgard
Shrew

Postby Helmgard » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 am

We play RQII in the Warhammer Old World, although much of the work to adapt the warhammer cults to the RQII rules has yet to be done.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:07 am

What sort of license would Mongoose need to create a RQ2 setting based upon the worlds of Shakespeare? Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.
Outtasight!
Hordes o' Andrew
Shrew

Postby Hordes o' Andrew » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:12 am

Either 3rd age Glorantha or a homebrew inspired by Gormenghast and The Book of the New Sun.
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:What sort of license would Mongoose need to create a RQ2 setting based upon the worlds of Shakespeare? Hamlet, Macbeth, etc.
None.

Shakespeare is definitely in the public domain and the settings are medieval/renaissance earth in any case.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:35 am

So why hasn't anybody thought of doing Macbeth before?
Outtasight!
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:15 pm

'White Dwarf' magazine did a spoof of Macbeth in the '80's.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:31 am

Definately Glorantha, but historical games and historical fantasy are definate options too.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
Slurm
Cub

Postby Slurm » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 am

I'm going to start with Lankhmar, but I'd love a more Conan-ish setting. I've heard good things about Glorantha, although I am completely unfamiliar with the setting. I like that everyone knows a little magic.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 am

Yep, the one big regret is that they couldn't do a Conan setting for it. It would be a perfect fit, and would have made up a formidable stable of licensed settings to use, alongside Glorantha, The Eternal Champion and Lankhmar.

In my view, Mongoose should try to rebid for Conan - as a new RQ edition afater their current d20 license runs out.
Outtasight!
Mikko Leho
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mikko Leho » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Doesn't Mongoose Publishing still retain rights for Slaine? That would be another solid sword and sorcery setting.
Darsu Dhberac
Cub

Postby Darsu Dhberac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:41 pm

My group are currently enjoying, or possibly enduring, my epic Gloranthan campaign, however, they've been clamouring for a change of pace. Therefore, I am officially dusting off my Tekumel books and notes and plan to begin the conversion process to MRQ II.

Wish me luck...
Zedkylan
Cub

Postby Zedkylan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:39 am

I'm thinking MRQII would be ideally suited for a Sanctuary/Thieves' World game.
- Zed
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.
Taavi
Shrew

Postby Taavi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:41 am

I use RQ for a pseudo-historical Mycenaean/Minoan Greece setting with steampunky and alchemical elements (Daedalus gone mad, basically). Given that RQ/Glorantha was always a bronze age setting, it works quite well. The 19th century anthropology aspects of RQ also fit well with older classical scholarship of the Mediterranean.
Don't you try to outweird me. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.
superc0ntra
Banded Mongoose

Postby superc0ntra » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:33 pm

I chose Glorantha but would like to try to make a Dark Sun conversion as well. RQ looks ideal for the gritty setting and it's easy to convert the old bronze/iron weapon rules to obsidian/steel.
Ariolan
Cub

Obsidian Rules

Postby Ariolan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 pm

superc0ntra wrote:I chose Glorantha but would like to try to make a Dark Sun conversion as well. RQ looks ideal for the gritty setting and it's easy to convert the old bronze/iron weapon rules to obsidian/steel.
Does anybody have an idea where I could find obsidian/bronze rules as I am doing just that, playing RQII in the DarkSUn world.

Thanks.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Re: Obsidian Rules

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Ariolan wrote:Does anybody have an idea where I could find obsidian/bronze rules as I am doing just that, playing RQII in the DarkSun world.
Bronze is the default metal (it's actually not "bronze", but a metal with similar properties), steel weapons are covered in 'Arms & Equipment', as are stone—probably usable for obsidian.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Briquelet
Shrew

Postby Briquelet » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:21 pm

I'll be running a 3rd age Sartar campaign beginning in 1616. I haven't run a game in Glorantha or one using RQ in nearly 20 years! By the way, the Sartar book from Moon Design is a great resource!
"I'm 30% Broadsword and -05% Defense--can't we just talk this out?!"
gautxoriak
Shrew

Postby gautxoriak » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Midnight. I think is the best setting for MRQ II.
Lord Kruge
Stoat

Postby Lord Kruge » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 am

I'm currently using MRQII to continue my Conan campaign. I plan on also running Deus Vult. I'd grab Slaine and Wraith Recon as well. Looking at the line-up of MRQII expansions, I'm also thinking it might be the best game for a new Warhammer Fantasy campaign.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am

Umathela in the 3rd Age.

Umathing escaped Vadeli slaves and Malki sorcerers exploring the seedier underbelly of the coastal city-states, with dastardly plots and hot-house menace.

Sort of like Fu Manchu in Limehouse, but without an actual Fu Manchu.