What setting for RuneQuest II?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.

What Setting would you choose to play RuneQuest II?

Glorantha
43%
Eternal Champion Multiverse (Elric, Hawkmoon, Corum, etc)
10%
Lankhmar (Sword and Sorcery)
5%
Deux Vult (Gothic medieval)
8%
Other Licenced Settings (Middle Earth, Dune, etc)
7%
Homebrew
15%
Other (please specify)
12%

Total votes: 110
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

What setting for RuneQuest II?

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 am

RuneQuest looks like it'll be supported by quite a few different settings. I remain something of a Glorantha virgin, to be honest, but the materials still look interesting to me. I have a lot more knowledge of the Eternal Champion stuff, having picked up Stormbringer way back in the 1980s as one of my first RPG experiences though. Lankhmar captures the american pulp styled 'sword and sorcery' as close as you'll get since Conan is no more. Deux Vult appears to want to capture the dark medieval style, and the ever popular Vikings genre (and maybe another Japanese or oriental setting) will probably not be long away either.

What other settings are there? Westerns? Ancients? Pirates? Industrialised world fantasy (i.e like Shadowrun)? Futuristic space fantasies? Specific licensed settings (like Middle Earth?) or home brew?

Vote and comment as you wish....
Last edited by TrippyHippy on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outtasight!
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:21 am

For the sake of being different, and representing my current adopted country - how about a Polynesian/Pacifica setting with Maori warriors doing Hakas and defending their sacred isles against invading Imperialistic colonial aliens...
Outtasight!
Fiddler
Stoat

Postby Fiddler » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:34 am

The Red Seas from 2000ad.

It has pirates, evil necromancers, ice giants, undead vikings, George Washington, Native American gods, a visit to Asgard and magic weapons.

This was all in the Old Gods story line.
andakitty
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby andakitty » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:32 am

I am (probably) going to get Hellfrost for Christmas, and I am not sure I will use the Savage Worlds system, so I have been thinking about a conversion. It has a strong Nordic/Germanic feel and the stats look like a pretty good match with BRP or RQ. It all depends.

Mostly on how comfy I get with SW. It's a possibility, though.
Vile
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Vile » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 am

As the poll says "play" I plumped for Glorantha, because I still like the old place and I'd like to check out Pavis in the Second Age. However,
TrippyHippy wrote:For the sake of being different, and representing my current adopted country - how about a Polynesian/Pacifica setting with Maori warriors doing Hakas and defending their sacred isles against invading Imperialistic colonial aliens...
Interesting you should say that, because if I had the chance to GM, I would ponk my players in my preferred homebrew, a kind of South East Asian fantasy version of of a 17th century Carribbean piracy campaign. Home port - the Fragrant Harbour, where the Lizard King grows his green lotus, that most delectable of recreational herbs ... :twisted:
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 am

As a GM I would most likely use MRQII for "other" settings (although it's likely that I would use more dedicated and "focussed" systems instead).

Those settings that I might consider MRQII for would possibly be:

Medieval
Barsoom
Tékumel - Empire of the Petal Throne
Ming Chinese

Historical RQ Plea
Please, one thing about already published RQ settings that really bugs me is that, if any 'Land of Ninja' or other Japanese setting is published, remember that Buddhism needs to be a MYSTICAL belief structure in RQ—not a Divine one (which if the authors knew even the slightest amount about the subject they would soon realise).

There are RQ rules for Mysticism, which could be adapted easily from the already "pseudo"-Buddhist Draconism of the Dragonewts. So why not use them rather than make a Divine foul-up, erroneously trying to use incorrect (and slightly racist) Western anthropological views from the 19th century?.

However, as a player, it would be Glorantha.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 am

What a vicious poll. We should have at least 3 answers.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 am

Fortunately, in the real world, you can buy more than one setting....:wink:

However, in the meantime, what's your favourite!
Outtasight!
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 am

Given the timeframe when it is feasible for me to be able to run RQ the Deus Vult should be out and I could start running it.

Yes, I know that Slaine has not been announced for RQII but Wraith Recon is so should it be in the poll? :)
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:06 pm

'Other' will have to suffice....

Believe it or not, but there was a limit on the number of entrees.
Outtasight!
Mongoose Pete
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Pete » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Over the years the two mainstream settings I've mainly played in are Glorantha and the Young Kingdoms. However, as a GM I've used the various incarnations of RQ to run a multitude of campaigns, everything from ancient Rome, heroic Arabian Nights and even hard STL Sci-fi.

During the playtests I used RQII to run a mini campaign set in Lloyd Alexander's Prydain. As a GM Tékumel would be cool to run, but I have to say that if I can find the time I'd love to write a killer version of Dune for RQII.
Nice to get a reminder that these rules were written assuming a quite different sort of campaign from the munchkin "It's in the rules so you have to let me do it, look at me buffing my character I'm going to go kill now arrgrgrgrh" approach. -dbhoward
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm actually coming round to that type of thinking with Dune, myself.

My initial view was that Traveller, as the sci-fi game, would be the port of call - but actually the mystical, socio-cultural and archaic anti-tech elements of Dune actually make a tie in to RuneQuest probably a better fit.

On the other hand, any likelihood of getting this license soon?! No, I thought not... :roll:
Outtasight!
Malakor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Malakor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm getting excited about seeing the RQII rules and will most likely dust off my homebrew that I ran with MRQ when it arrived and continue the adventures there, but Deus Vult sounds VERY interesting as well.

I'll at the very least mine it for ideas, if not actually run the setting at some point.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -- G.K. Chesterton

http://battleaxesandbeasties.blogspot.com/

http://swashbucklersofatlantis.blogspot.com/
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I'll probably continue running a campaign in Glorantha but there are other settings I would like to see. I have a particular fondness for settings where most characters don't have magic.

Swords & Sorcery setting other than Lankhmar. Might dust off my old Thieves World copy.

Long been tempted to run A Song of Ice & Fire in RQ.

Could be tempted by a Swords Against Cthulhu campaign if such a thing existed.
Rurik
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Rurik » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm

Deleriad wrote:Swords & Sorcery setting other than Lankhmar. Might dust off my old Thieves World copy.
Green Ronin's TW Books are excellent (though d20, there is still a lot of good source) and they compliment the old Chaosium stuff very well. They are also dirt cheap because of the D20 dump (as in $2 - $5 per book including the big hardcovers) or the whole gift set for $25. http://www.greenronin.com/store/categor ... world.html

And honestly, this is the best d20 implementation I've seen. I actually played in it for a bit - my first D&D in over 20 years. Good Magic System, no Alignment, limited healing, rules for infection, very gritty for a d20 game.
I bought my Magic Sword at Zistorwal
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Deleriad wrote:I'll probably continue running a campaign in Glorantha but there are other settings I would like to see. I have a particular fondness for settings where most characters don't have magic.

Swords & Sorcery setting other than Lankhmar. Might dust off my old Thieves World copy.

Long been tempted to run A Song of Ice & Fire in RQ.

Could be tempted by a Swords Against Cthulhu campaign if such a thing existed.
Heh. Getting a license to do Call of Cthulhu based on RQ rules would be mildly ironic....:roll:

A Song of Ice and Fire is another license that has previously been done in D20, but might be a popular setting for RQ fans. I do think it's a shame that Conan couldn't be done in RQ rules though - is there any other major license that stands out as a crowd puller? Glorantha still seems the most popular choice though. It's interesting that few people have chosen the Eternal Champion stuff yet....
Outtasight!
Rurik
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Rurik » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:It's interesting that few people have chosen the Eternal Champion stuff yet....
I'd have given a second vote if I had one to the EC line. I use MRQ with Glorantha first and foremost - had I more time for gaming I'd love to play some Elric, Hawkmoon, or Corum.

My very first Moorcock novel was "The Eternal Champion" and though technically a 'minor work' in the EC universe I'd love to see that setting covered.
I bought my Magic Sword at Zistorwal
Mikko Leho
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mikko Leho » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:09 pm

TrippyHippy wrote:A Song of Ice and Fire is another license that has previously been done in D20, but might be a popular setting for RQ fans.
Already redone by Green Ronin:

http://greenronin.com/sifrp/
TrippyHippy wrote:is there any other major license that stands out as a crowd puller?
Barsoom seems to be constantly popping out. It has garnered many "clones" over the years.
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:11 am

Pete Nash wrote: As a GM Tékumel would be cool to run, but I have to say that if I can find the time I'd love to write a killer version of Dune for RQII.
Yeah, Dune would be awesome!
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:16 am

SnowDog wrote:
Pete Nash wrote: As a GM Tékumel would be cool to run, but I have to say that if I can find the time I'd love to write a killer version of Dune for RQII.
Yeah, Dune would be awesome!
'Holy Grail' territory...maybe?

There may an issue with getting the license itself - I recall that the Herbert estate are pretty tricky and it would be expensive, although there has been talk of a new movie that would eventuate in about 2 years, I guess (the last director quit), so there could be a big tie in.

If it ever did happen - BIG IF! - there could be a bit of a benny between Traveller and RuneQuest fans about which system was used.

I do think that there is a distinct difference between the Traveller and RuneQuest systems, insofar that Traveller tends to encourage the inner-engineer in all of us, whereas the RuneQuest system is a bit more organic in style (especially if they remove the combat tables). Like I say, I actually think this is a specific sci-fi title that fits the RuneQuest style a bit better than Traveller. Ironically enough, if they were to ever get Call of Cthulhu license, or maybe something like War of the Worlds, I'd probably prefer to use the Traveller system instead, but maybe that's just me....
Outtasight!