Lankhmar: What is actually required to play?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
blue crane
Mongoose

Lankhmar: What is actually required to play?

Postby blue crane » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi there,

I just want to know what is required to play RuneQuest Lankhmar. In the preview it makes mention of the RuneQuest main book, RuneQuest Companion and RuneQuest Arms and Equipment. It states that the last two “are not required but may also prove useful." Is this really the case, or are they in fact “required” to play? In other words, does the book feel incomplete without those two books?

The reason for the question was that I was interested originally in RuneQuest Land of the Samurai but it recommended, in addition to the main rulebook and the RuneQuest Companion, various other supplements. It stated that “[o]ther books that will prove useful but are not essential, are RuneQuest Monsters (volumes I and II), RuneQuest Arms and Equipment, RuneQuest Legendary Heroes and the RuneQuest Spellbook. Although a very interesting book, I was put off by all the additional supplements. As far as I was concerned, one or two of the supplements were “integral” to this campaign setting. For example: RuneQuest Legendary Heroes was quite necessary, in my opinion. The book somehow did not feel “complete”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Blue crane
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 pm

Just the rulebook thats in print now is required, the Deluxe version, or the original MRQ rulebook. You dont need Arms & Equipment or any other book to play.
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 am

Of course there is the new updated/revised 'Lankhmar Unleashed' due in the nearish future, and additionally the distinct possibility of an new version of 'RuneQuest'....
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Mongoose Si
Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Si » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 pm

You can play Lankhmar or Land of the Samurai with just the RQ mainrulebook :)