Runequest 2?

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Mikko Leho
Banded Mongoose

Runequest 2?

Postby Mikko Leho » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 pm

From the product page for Lankhmar Unleashed:
This is a completely updated volume covering Lankhmar and the world of Nehwon, compatible with both RuneQuest and RuneQuest II.
What is this Runequest II? Is Mongoose going back to few editions past?
soltakss
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby soltakss » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 pm

No, RuneQuest 2 was an old edition, published way back in the 1980s, or perhaps even late 1970s.

There have been several versions of RQ:
RQ1 - 1970s
RQ2 - 1970s/early 1980s
RQ3 - 1985
RQ4 - never came out, proposed in the 1990s
RQM - 2006 (?) Mongoose RQ, the current version.

They are all pretty compatible, to tell the truth.
Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.

Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/index.html
http://www.soltakss.com/index.html
Alternate Earth: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/index.html
Blackyinkin
Banded Mongoose

Postby Blackyinkin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi,

Based on several comments on other parts of this forum I suspect that there is a new, or revised version of MRQ somewhere in the pipeline, although I there has been nothing official. However this does suggest that. I don't think Mongoose would seek to aknowledge an older product by another company, it is not their style.

Simon
Simon Bray
Art Director, Moon Design - Glorantha, Heroquest, Excellence.

Co-Editor of the Unspoken Word, the Magazine for Gloranthan Heroes and Heroquesters alike.
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Blackyinkin wrote:Hi,

Based on several comments on other parts of this forum I suspect that there is a new, or revised version of MRQ somewhere in the pipeline, although I there has been nothing official. However this does suggest that. I don't think Mongoose would seek to aknowledge an older product by another company, it is not their style.

Simon
Yeah, seems pretty weird to reference an old out of print game. Its obviously the new version of MRQ in the pipeline. Theres hints of a Conan redo too, and Paranoia has just been zapped as well. Looking like it going to be all new rulesbooks, (again).
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Indeed many say MRQ is the 4th edition (that is official) for Runequest but for Mongoose the previous don''t count.

It's like Wizards of the Coast which didn't called his Star Wars D20 as the 3rd edition (because WEG had previously released 2.5 editions), though ironically it was the 3rd edition rules of D&D (or sort of). They even didn't consider SW Saga as a 4th edition.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

Postby mwsasser » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:14 am

I will they would give us a clue. Releasing a book thats compatible with a system you haven't told anyone you're releasing is just plain odd.
Osentalka
Banded Mongoose

Postby Osentalka » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Maybe "RuneQuest 2" is used as a stand in for "Basic RolePlaying"?

Chaosiums "Basic RolePlaying" is based upon the RQ 2 mechanic, so any customer of BRP might be interested also in MRQ books.
celmive
Stoat

Postby celmive » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Blackyinkin wrote:Based on several comments on other parts of this forum I suspect that there is a new, or revised version of MRQ somewhere in the pipeline, although I there has been nothing official. However this does suggest that. I don't think Mongoose would seek to aknowledge an older product by another company, it is not their style.

Simon
I too agree with this comment.

:?: So, Mr Sprange... Maybe you could post some verification one way or another ?

For my side it would be good to know. It wont change the way I run games but I am looking at developing a few of my ideas into decent "Fan Products" for the MRQ
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 pm

So, it's best to hold off buying any 'RuneQuest' core rules books for now—until the new version comes out?

Will that be soon?
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
JonGeere
Stoat

Runequest 2

Postby JonGeere » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:12 am

It would be nice if Mongoose says what is going on, even if was 'wait for November's announcement'.
duncan_disorderly
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby duncan_disorderly » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 am

The King wrote:Indeed many say MRQ is the 4th edition (that is official) for Runequest but for Mongoose the previous don''t count.
ITYM 6th (RQ4:AiG was never officially released, but playtest copies exist, and although AH went down before releasing the hard copy RQ:Slayers, it was freely available on the Web)
Mugen
Banded Mongoose

Postby Mugen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:53 am

duncan_disorderly wrote:
The King wrote:Indeed many say MRQ is the 4th edition (that is official) for Runequest but for Mongoose the previous don''t count.
ITYM 6th (RQ4:AiG was never officially released, but playtest copies exist, and although AH went down before releasing the hard copy RQ:Slayers, it was freely available on the Web)
Despite the name, I think RQ:Slayers has too many differences with the other "RuneQuests" to be seen as an evolution of the system :?:
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:26 pm

As others have said, it seems to be the case that Mongoose are updating RQ though I know no more than what I read on the boards.

If so, I guess someone jumped the gun in the Lhankmar product description.
Mangus
Weasel

Postby Mangus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Can someone from Mongoose please comment on this? I would like to hear more about the new edition of RQ, and a projection on its release, even if it is a vague projection.

Thanks,

Mangus
"The nostalgia of things unknown, of lands forgotten or unfound, is upon me at times." -- Clark Ashton Smith

Swords Against the Outer Dark: http://swordandsanity.blogspot.com/
"Where Sword & Sorcery Gaming Meets Cthulhiana and Yog-Sothothery"
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm

For those interested, check out S&P 72 which has an article with RQ1 and RQ2 skills in it. I know no more than that but it looks like Mongoose are revising the basic and advanced skills lists. No bad thing.
Ssendam
Stoat

Postby Ssendam » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:09 am

Deleriad wrote:For those interested, check out S&P 72 which has an article with RQ1 and RQ2 skills in it. I know no more than that but it looks like Mongoose are revising the basic and advanced skills lists. No bad thing.
Sorry dumb moment but what page is that on? I can't seem to find what you are referring to.
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 am

Ssendam wrote:
Deleriad wrote:For those interested, check out S&P 72 which has an article with RQ1 and RQ2 skills in it. I know no more than that but it looks like Mongoose are revising the basic and advanced skills lists. No bad thing.
Sorry dumb moment but what page is that on? I can't seem to find what you are referring to.
The Lankhmar Article. Around page 60 I think.
Tal
Banded Mongoose

RQII

Postby Tal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 pm

Here is something up on a website that does preorders(it's not Amazon):

Mongoose stirred the roleplaying community when, in 2006, it announced the return of RuneQuest - one of the most loved and respected game systems of all time. That new edition introduced several changes to the basic system and brought RuneQuest to a new and wider community of gamers.

Now, in 2009, Mongoose is delighted to announce the release of RuneQuest II. This new edition of the classic game has taken just about every aspect of the first edition, scrutinised it, revised it, and restructured it to bring RuneQuest aficionados and new players alike the very best incarnation of the classic games engine. RuneQuest fans will not be disappointed in the attention lavished on this edition.

This edition comes as a stunning leather-bound luxury hardback as standard, ensuring every player has a true collector’s item on their shelves.

Size: 192 pages, Leather Hardback
Interior Art: Black & White
Author: Lawrence Whitaker

Also looks like we are getting a new screen as well. Here's the link for RQII book: http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m= ... il&p=58792
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Hmm, $39.99 (£25.00)—I'd expect a very large page count for that amount....
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
BenQ
Weasel

Postby BenQ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Looking forward to this one! The overhaul is needed, although there is a great system here, just in need of tidying up, and it sounds like some trouble is going into the presentation. I wonder when we'll hear anything official?