hit point confusion

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

hit point confusion

Postby mwsasser » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:02 am

So as a newbie I need to ask about hit points. For instance if they equal 20 I understand you use the chart and put points in the various body locations.

These points are more than 20 though, does this mean you can exceed 20 hit points total or do you die at 20. If so, why isn't the total tracked on the character sheet.
Rurik
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Rurik » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 am

MRQ does not use total HP at all. Only HP per location.

You look up STR+CCON on a table to get HP/Location but don't actually have a seperate totsl HP (like in other BRP games).

You only die from Major wounds to vitals or bleeding as per the wound descriptions.
I bought my Magic Sword at Zistorwal
Ultor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ultor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 am

Related to this subject, I just ran a session where a Humakti player was fighting a duel with a Zorak Zorani Death Lord. The ugly one cast beserk early on. It seems, according to the spell rules, that a Beserked character just cannot die for quite some time, whatever amount of bloody pulp he is reduced to. I eventually ruled incapacity stopped his limbs from working and he was reduced to a frothing mass on the floor, but I had visions of the Beserk spell turning the recipient into the Dark Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Am I missing something?
weasel_fierce
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby weasel_fierce » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm

His limbs can be incapacitated, but yes, as written, he wont die til the spell wears off.
looking for a free set of gritty, realistic'ish scifi wargame rules ?
http://www.freewebs.com/weaselfierce
Ultor
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ultor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:17 am

weasel_fierce wrote:His limbs can be incapacitated, but yes, as written, he wont die til the spell wears off.
Thanks, that's what I thought. It's one of those things that both makes sense (full of divine fury keeping him going) and doesn't ("Running away, eh? You yellow bastards! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!") at the same time. My PC resorted to pounding him in the abdomen yelling "Why won't you die!?"

I think I'll reserve the Beserk spell for truly heroic-level combats from now on.
Still waiting for Games Workshop's contribution to Questworld

The Rune Under Water: an occasional Runequest blog http://runeunderwater.blogspot.com/
kintire
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby kintire » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:59 am

Neutralise Magic for the win!
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

Postby mwsasser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm

Great answers guys!
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Neutralise Magic - surely the most useful of sorcery spells.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.