MRQ and Chaosium Basic Roleplaying

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

MRQ and Chaosium Basic Roleplaying

Postby mwsasser » Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Heya guys. I just bought a whole bunch of the MRQ books off Amazon as well as the Chaosium Basic Roleplaying book. I can see a lot of similarities between the two for obvious reasons. Can someone who has played both maybe clue me in to the stumbling blocks I might encounter when I use crunchy bits between both "systems"?
smiorgan
Mongoose

Postby smiorgan » Sat May 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi,

I would say that the systems are so similar that there are no real difficulties. The systems are also pretty modular, especially BRP.

Some sub-systems can be just dragged & dropped with no adaptation: you can use hero points in BRP, sanity in RQ, allegiance in RQ, or you can swap the experience systems. You can also use the RQ skills and skill bonuses instead of the more fiddly system of skill category bonuses of BRP, use BRP weapon stats instead of RQ ones etc.

Other sub-systems require some adaptation. Combat and magic are interdependent and if you want to use RQ magic with BRP combat you need what to do with casting time, as combat actions do not exist in BRP.
Not a big problem. I'd just say that CAs = DEX ranks and vice versa.

BTW, Paolo Guccione has a very good conversion document for Gloranthan RQ magic on the Alephtar games website.

Persistence and Resilience are another thing that needs converting. But the conversion is straightforward: Powx5 and Conx5 in unopposed rolls, or POW and CON on the resistance table for opposed rolls.

Smiorgan
PrinceYyrkoon
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PrinceYyrkoon » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Read them both, compare which rules do what best, and Bob is your very kind uncle. There are some fundamental differences in certain rules (i.e., casting times and the breakdown of a combat round), so you have to go with what you prefer. MRQ is strong in areas such as Legendary abillities, and details rules for divine magic, where there is no provision for this in BRP (at least in the main rulebook, I think there is a monograph of divine magic), and BRP is strong in its clean combat system, backgrounds and GM tips etc., plus a nice rules section for Apotheosis and a non-hit location option for combat. Ive successfully converted MRQ spells for BRP, and regularly use a combination of the bets bits.

I'd be interested to see what you think of a comparison.
mwsasser
Banded Mongoose

Postby mwsasser » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks guys, I am working on comparing the differences. :D