A Complaint: Warped Covers

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Wolverine
Stoat

A Complaint: Warped Covers

Postby Wolverine » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm making my complaint in public, as I feel that others may wish to add their voice to it. My complaint is about the warped covers, a problem that was said to be resolved months ago, yet still seems to be a major issue. I have recently bought two books, the Game Master's Handbook for RuneQuest, and the Elric Companion. Both arrived with warped covers. This is a little frustrating, as it not only annoying, but compared to the production values of previous Mongoose books before they started printing their own, it's abysmal. It's beginning to tarnish Mongoose's reputation.

I feel that Mongoose needs to employ someone who can be placed in charge of quality control, someone who has a lot of experience in printing. Otherwise, no matter what Mongoose say or do, the problems which should have been sorted out months ago will come back to haunt them time and time again.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: A Complaint: Warped Covers

Postby havercake lad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:30 pm

Wolverine wrote:I'm making my complaint in public, as I feel that others may wish to add their voice to it. My complaint is about the warped covers, a problem that was said to be resolved months ago, yet still seems to be a major issue. I have recently bought two books, the Game Master's Handbook for RuneQuest, and the Elric Companion. Both arrived with warped covers. This is a little frustrating, as it not only annoying, but compared to the production values of previous Mongoose books before they started printing their own, it's abysmal. It's beginning to tarnish Mongoose's reputation.

I feel that Mongoose needs to employ someone who can be placed in charge of quality control, someone who has a lot of experience in printing. Otherwise, no matter what Mongoose say or do, the problems which should have been sorted out months ago will come back to haunt them time and time again.
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: A Complaint: Warped Covers

Postby havercake lad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Wolverine wrote:I'm making my complaint in public, as I feel that others may wish to add their voice to it. My complaint is about the warped covers, a problem that was said to be resolved months ago, yet still seems to be a major issue. I have recently bought two books, the Game Master's Handbook for RuneQuest, and the Elric Companion. Both arrived with warped covers. This is a little frustrating, as it not only annoying, but compared to the production values of previous Mongoose books before they started printing their own, it's abysmal. It's beginning to tarnish Mongoose's reputation.

I agree this issue seems to be getting long past a joke.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:28 pm

As of this week, we have dropped the production of books in our own facility, and have returned to our original systems - we'll be making a fuller announcement on this in a few days,
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Magistus
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Magistus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:52 am

Please say that even though you are doing this, the books will be more than 96 pages long.
Galatea
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Galatea » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

msprange wrote:As of this week, we have dropped the production of books in our own facility, and have returned to our original systems - we'll be making a fuller announcement on this in a few days,
You're a bit unsteady in the last time, hm? :wink:
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:26 pm

... :shock:
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Magistus wrote:Please say that even though you are doing this, the books will be more than 96 pages long.
They will - there will be no change to the size of the books, or the flexibility we can give them in terms of page counts.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Swampy
Stoat

Postby Swampy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Maybe I have been lucky but of all of the mongoose books that I have brought since they did their in house printing, about 15, only one has had a warped cover and that was not so bad that the book was ruined.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 pm

msprange wrote:As of this week, we have dropped the production of books in our own facility, and have returned to our original systems - we'll be making a fuller announcement on this in a few days,
That explains why the next ACTA tourney is back at Mongoose Hall then, if the printers aren't there there will be plenty of room.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
The King
Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:38 pm

msprange wrote:They will - there will be no change to the size of the books, or the flexibility we can give them in terms of page counts.
Will you have them printed in UK or elsewhere?
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Wolverine
Stoat

Postby Wolverine » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Does this mean we can get replacements for books with warped covers as before, but with the new printed books? The books before Mongoose started publishing them themselves were of a much higher standard.
Magistus
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Magistus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:10 pm

msprange wrote:
Magistus wrote:Please say that even though you are doing this, the books will be more than 96 pages long.
They will - there will be no change to the size of the books, or the flexibility we can give them in terms of page counts.
Thank you.
duncan_disorderly
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby duncan_disorderly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:11 am

Swampy wrote:Maybe I have been lucky but of all of the mongoose books that I have brought since they did their in house printing, about 15, only one has had a warped cover and that was not so bad that the book was ruined.
I have not bought an "In House" Mongoose book where the front and back covers lie parallel. None of them are dreadfully bad, and none of them have fallen apart, but it is noticable on all of them. As I said elsewhere, when my GM's Guide came with a free Legendary Heroes, I didn't need to open the covers to see which one was printed in the UK and which in China...

My other niggle is that the pages could do with moving further towards the outside margin. Looking at the GM's guide again, the "outside" margin is quite wide, while the inside margin is very narrow - although none of the text actually vanishes into the binding, it does get close to it - reducing the outside margin by half would make the book so much more readable, and since you wouldn''t need to strain the spine to read it, so much sturdier.

Unfortunately it seems that Mongoose approached printing the same way they approached producing the rules themselves - rush them out in an unfinished state, then polish them up afterwards. I can't help thinking that a little more attention to detail and quality control up front would have ended up saving them money in the long run...
Voriof
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Voriof » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:34 pm

I was wondering about badly damaged books. I just bought Clanking City and, when I removed it from the plastic wrapper, the book fell out from the covers and then separated into several folios upon impact with the carpet.

It's a great book - if a bit short - but at the moment, a touch difficult to read.

Jeff
Last edited by Voriof on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Guide to mysterious tomb: £150
Sledgehammer to break open door: £12
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else, there's Mastercard.
RosenMcStern
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby RosenMcStern » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Hmmm, shouldn't cluster books be forbidden by international treaties?
Allandaros
Stoat

Postby Allandaros » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Will this printing location change affect the various Flaming Cobra imprints?
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:41 pm

A little it would seem, check what Matt says here about Dark Passions:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... 179#489179

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:36 pm

sorry to hear. :cry: