4th preview is up

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
Archer
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:58 pm

Re: Armour values

Postby Archer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Wulf Corbett wrote:I've tried wearing mail with no padding... never again! Especially a coif. I do not want a wicker pattern skull...

Wulf
It is a one time only experience, to say the least.
RosenMcStern
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 708
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:06 pm
Location: Somewhere in the EU
Contact:

Re: Armour values

Postby RosenMcStern » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:30 pm

Adept wrote:Warhammers, rapiers and platemail don't really have a place on Glorantha, especially in the second age. It would be great to see references to normal equipment being leather armour, spears, bows and slings, at least for the common soldier & warrior.
Dwarfs definitely use Warhammers and Plate Mail in Glorantha. And their blacksmithing technoìogy is superior to any Renaissance age Earth equivalent, so the stats are appropriate.

@Wulf Corbett: I think the regular values given for chainmail do include padding, for the exact reasons you mentioned :)
Wulf Corbett
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4314
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:19 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Armour values

Postby Wulf Corbett » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:39 pm

RosenMcStern wrote:@Wulf Corbett: I think the regular values given for chainmail do include padding, for the exact reasons you mentioned :)
They do indeed (or did in previous RQ). I prefer my previous explanation for mail values vs swords.

Wulf
Adept
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Turku, Finland

Re: Armour values

Postby Adept » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:21 pm

RosenMcStern wrote:te Mail in Glorantha. And their blacksmithing technoìogy is superior to any Renaissance age Earth equivalent, so the stats are appropriate.
That's one way to look at it. I prefer the dwarves in enchanted iron (steel) chainmail or panoply. Warhammers don't really make sense until you have platemail to hammer at.
Thinker, dreamer and adventurer
wartorn
Stoat
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Re: Armour values

Postby wartorn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Wulf Corbett wrote:
RosenMcStern wrote:@Wulf Corbett: I think the regular values given for chainmail do include padding, for the exact reasons you mentioned :)
They do indeed (or did in previous RQ). I prefer my previous explanation for mail values vs swords.

Wulf
For the record, the Vikings material mentions 1 or 2 point padding all over the place and the rules devote some space to discussing layering armor. I prefer this method because I like to eliminate abstractions; for the average person, it's more detail than necessary.
homerjsinnott
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:54 pm

Re: Armour values

Postby homerjsinnott » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:15 pm

wartorn wrote: Fair points, but the Special (or Critical can't remember) Hit mechanic accomodates hitting vulnerable spots in the old edition and the Precise Strike accomodates that in the new version.

Oh god, why be exact when you can be verbose eh?

So can I precise strike my swim or orate or sneak?

Sounds like someone at mongoose needs a slap, and to be told it isn't a D&D feat.
Member of the FESPA. Formally PESPAM (spliters!).

"I would rather be a Troll than a chimp brained pompous system bigot like you."
It's the system bigot bit I don't understand, and I like chimps.

I was a God Learner experiment.
wartorn
Stoat
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Re: Armour values

Postby wartorn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:45 pm

homerjsinnott wrote:
wartorn wrote: Fair points, but the Special (or Critical can't remember) Hit mechanic accomodates hitting vulnerable spots in the old edition and the Precise Strike accomodates that in the new version.

Oh god, why be exact when you can be verbose eh?

So can I precise strike my swim or orate or sneak?

Sounds like someone at mongoose needs a slap, and to be told it isn't a D&D feat.
Whoops my mistake; it is actually Precise Attack -> Location Strike. I have to wonder if that rule is going to last very long in people's games given the feedback it has been getting.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests