State of Mongoose 2019: Legend

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Re: State of Mongoose 2019: Legend

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Herne'sSon wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm

So... we're pretty much at the "end of 2019"... Any news?
Still not forgotten, but we are absolutely buried at the moment - I'll go through things in detail in the forthcoming State of the Mongoose.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Herne'sSon
Shrew

Postby Herne'sSon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:58 pm

msprange wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:27 pm
Herne'sSon wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:04 pm

So... we're pretty much at the "end of 2019"... Any news?
Still not forgotten, but we are absolutely buried at the moment - I'll go through things in detail in the forthcoming State of the Mongoose.
Gotcha! Thanks for the quick response. I'll keep my eyes out for the SotM.

Thanks!
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding. -- Robin of Sherwood
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Postby Bifford » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Legend

Every year we talk about Legend, and every year we lack the resources to do it justice. I regret to say that 2020 will be no different in this regard – we simply have too much going on to give it anything more than a cursory glance. There are further issues too…

There have been quite a few changes in the D100 RPG market over the past year. Legend certainly still has a place, especially if it retains its Open nature (no plans to change anything there), but looking at things objectively, it could really use a) a second edition to tighten things up – it feels a little too ‘clunky’ for my liking – and b) its own setting.

This all provides food for thought, but I am afraid we will be unlikely to dine on this one in 2020.

I personally do not think Legend is "clunky", and I certainly do not think it needs a second edition.

It's own setting....well, yes, that is certainly something it needs, but at the same time Legend is all about the fact that it is a modular game you plug a setting in to. Like Historia Rodentia, or Pirates of Legend, Gladiators of Legend, Spider God's Bride/Sheoloth, Eternity Realms, Ancient Stones, etc etc. Shoe-horning just the one setting onto it limits it. However, releasing settings FOR it expands it! More settings like those mentioned above will breathe fresh new life into the game. So release new settings built with and around Legend.

As for "quite a few changes in the D100 RPG market" - I still see it being as strong as ever, especially with:
A. The new Runequest / Glorantha versions;
B. Call of Cthulhu 7th edition.

These are both front-runners in the RPG scene and it (quite frankly) pi**es me off that Legend isn't up there with them.

I know I need to pull my finger out and start to do work on my setting book for Ancient stones, but I am doing proofreading (which is itself taking too long) and honestly I have NO clue where to start with the whole thing. So who knows if 2020 will be the year I actually start work on it.....?
medievaladventures
Mongoose

Postby medievaladventures » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by medievaladventures on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carew
Stoat

Postby Carew » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Legend
Every year we talk about Legend, and every year we lack the resources to do it justice. I regret to say that 2020 will be no different in this regard – we simply have too much going on to give it anything more than a cursory glance.
No surprises there.

There are further issues too…
There have been quite a few changes in the D100 RPG market over the past year. Legend certainly still has a place, especially if it retains its Open nature (no plans to change anything there), but looking at things objectively, it could really use a) a second edition to tighten things up – it feels a little too ‘clunky’ for my liking – and b) its own setting.

This all provides food for thought, but I am afraid we will be unlikely to dine on this one in 2020.
Well, I guess Legend's completely lost out to Mithras, Runequest Glorantha and Openquest. They offer various flavors of d100 gaming at different levels of crunch. Because Legend hasn't been supported *at all* since it appeared, its no wonder it's lost out. There's rumors now of some kind of BRP open license, and there's Openquest 3 on the way which is also OGL, so why would anyone bother with Legend? It's publisher doesn't care for it much, so why would anyone else?

Like Bifford I disagree that it's too clunky. I'd like to know how and it what ways. But okay, let's say it is and needs a new edition, what changes do you make? How do you change stuff so that it's still Legend and not another BRP clone, and still Legend, but different from Openquest and Mithras and the other games that have been cared for by their publishers? Yeah, a setting might help, but it's going to have kick some serious ass to get people to sit up and take notice. We had Wraith Recon, Deus Vult, the Rodentia thing... didn't make much difference from what I can see.

I consider Legend a dead system, which pains me because it shouldn't be. But I think the ship's sailed.
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Carew wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:55 pm
I consider Legend a dead system, which pains me because it shouldn't be. But I think the ship's sailed.
I agree. There has been no new Legend books in ca. five years, which means that Legend would need re-launch to generate some interest. Like msprange said D100 RPG market has moved forward, and it would be practically impossible to sell old rules without interesting campaign setting to new customers.

Personally I used Legend to run Elric of Melniboné campaign (supplemented with Chaosium's old Stormbringer source books). Unfortunately Elric and other campaign settings for MRQII/Legend (with the exception of Deus Vult) were discontinued. It is possible that I will use some other (actively supported) D100 system instead of Legend if I decide to return to the Young Kingdoms at some point in the future.