Homebrew Settings

Discover the Legend RPG, Mongoose's fantasy game.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Homebrew Settings

Postby warlock1971 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi Everyone!

How many of you are currently running/playing in Legend campaigns? I am keen to hear about the settings you play in or run Legend campaigns in, especially if they are homebrewed.
Bifford
Banded Mongoose

Re: Homebrew Settings

Postby Bifford » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:04 pm

I am, just do a search on here for Legend: Ancient Stones and you'll find a lot of my homebrew setting info.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:57 pm

My Homebrew is a world called "Gaer" rhymes with prayer...

The setting is a large cluster of islands that extend from the equator to the South Pole. Elves dominate, but dwarves and humans have their clusters.

The primary badguys are Goblins/Orcs, which are the same species but called different names by different peoples.

Humans have only been around about 500 years and are split into three main cultures/empires: Thengari (split into 3 kingdoms - typical english nobility/feudal system), the Melcyr Empire (based on the Chinese dynasties) and the Red Empire of Thytis, a religious oligarchy ruled by the high priests of the Red God (god of fire).

There was a Goblin invasion that was driven back about 10 years go, but there are still a few roaming bands in most areas of Thengar and Thytis.

I use Common Magic, Divine Magic and Sorcery with Elementalism. Elves and Goblins can also use Spirit Magic.

There are a couple of big secrets:

1. Humans are from another planet and arrived on a spaceship.
2. Elves, Dwarves and Goblins are all descended from the same species.
3. Most of the world was destroyed in "The Glaring" which killed almost everything about 1000 years ago.
4. The Goblin invasion was caused by Giants moving out of the frozen southern wastes into Goblin territory.
5. The Giants were in turn driven out of their lands by Dragons, which were involved in The Glaring somehow (details are TBD).

I allow Black Powder weapons, but they are only made by Dwarves, who keep the secret of gunpowder to themselves.

A general mix of typical fantasy and sword and sorcery with some Three Musketeers thrown in for fun.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:My Homebrew is a world called "Gaer" rhymes with prayer...

The setting is a large cluster of islands that extend from the equator to the South Pole. Elves dominate, but dwarves and humans have their clusters.

The primary badguys are Goblins/Orcs, which are the same species but called different names by different peoples.

Humans have only been around about 500 years and are split into three main cultures/empires: Thengari (split into 3 kingdoms - typical english nobility/feudal system), the Melcyr Empire (based on the Chinese dynasties) and the Red Empire of Thytis, a religious oligarchy ruled by the high priests of the Red God (god of fire).

There was a Goblin invasion that was driven back about 10 years go, but there are still a few roaming bands in most areas of Thengar and Thytis.

I use Common Magic, Divine Magic and Sorcery with Elementalism. Elves and Goblins can also use Spirit Magic.

There are a couple of big secrets:

1. Humans are from another planet and arrived on a spaceship.
2. Elves, Dwarves and Goblins are all descended from the same species.
3. Most of the world was destroyed in "The Glaring" which killed almost everything about 1000 years ago.
4. The Goblin invasion was caused by Giants moving out of the frozen southern wastes into Goblin territory.
5. The Giants were in turn driven out of their lands by Dragons, which were involved in The Glaring somehow (details are TBD).

I allow Black Powder weapons, but they are only made by Dwarves, who keep the secret of gunpowder to themselves.

A general mix of typical fantasy and sword and sorcery with some Three Musketeers thrown in for fun.
Thanks for sharing, that was exactly what I was curious about.

Cool setting, I love the idea that humans are aliens. I did that with elfs.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm

A few clues for the players on the 'alien' thing... Also, it is Alien as in from another dimension, not aliens from another planet. More like Midkemia than Star Trek.

The world has 2 moons, on that defines the length of a week (Blueish Mora) and one that defines the length of the month (Redish Dana).

I have an engineering degree, so I tend to want my fantasy with a grain of science thrown in.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Awesome, my elf aliens are also from a different dimension ... Lol, also drew inspiration from Midkemia!
havercake lad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby havercake lad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:11 am

I plan to run some RQ/Legend style Elric campaign some time in the future. I suppose it counts as partial homebrew as it could take part in the lands I mapped out and detailed in Secrets of the Steppes and the unpublished Talons of Winter. The area incorporates a large stretches
area north of the Young Kingdoms Sighing Desert.

My writing and gaming for Orbis Terrarum feels like a local homebrew, seeing as I have been involved with campaigns run by its creators for a decade or so before its publication.

I tend to prefer running campaigns without a myriad number of races: Elves, Dwarves and Orcs etc, though I have read excellent books and played in games where their presence has been hugely enjoyable.
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 am

I just need to twist Matt's arm to let me bring one of my things to Legend ;)
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:44 am

The Wolf wrote:I just need to twist Matt's arm to let me bring one of my things to Legend ;)
I wish Matt would let you too :D
Olaus Petrus
Banded Mongoose

Postby Olaus Petrus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:25 am

I'm currently running Elric campaign with the Legend rules. It's a direct continuation of my previous campaign, but this Season 2 has new villains and storylines. There's naturally some recurring themes and continuity, but many of the Season 1 storylines were resolved in an epic finale, which took place in a dimension where a war between Law and Chaos had killed everyone and even the earth itself was dying. Now the player characters are back in the Young Kingdoms and their adventures are bit more mundane.

I'm not running any homebrew settings right now. And I don't have specific homebrew campaign world, but when I'm running homebrew settings those are one-off adventures. I prefer historical (with demons and other supernatural elements), or sword and sorcery settings. My fantasy settings draw their inspirations from Clark Ashton Smith's Hyperborea and Zothique, R. E. Howard Thurian Age and Hyborian Age, and Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar. There are no dwarves or elves etc. and while there are other intelligent humanoids like serpent men, the humans are the only playable race.
warlock1971
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby warlock1971 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:51 pm

I love Swords & Sorcery as a genre, both novels and as game settings and have run the first adventure of the Spider Gods Bride for my group. I toyed with the idea of dropping non-humans as playable races but half my group always seems to choose elves ... Ah well! :?
The Wolf
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby The Wolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Sounds cool, share more details?
"There are some things best left unsaid, many things best left unknown!"

Current Project -- Legend: Sheoloth

Darren W. Pearce - Amazon Author Page

Drivethru RPG