L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - Recluse Saga

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - Recluse Saga

Postby Builder » Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 am

Morning all

Been a while since I popped my head into these forums, hope everyone is doing well. Matt it was good to see you at Salute recently!

So I was thinking about rpg games that Mongoose could produce and the Recluse Saga by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. came to mind. A rich setting with I think 20 novels offering background on the universe and feel covering different time periods within the universe. It presents a good opportunity to use Legend as the core mechanics for the system match the general feel, the magic would need a bit of tweek but could work well and with the general theme.

Added to this the author has mentioned a few times over the years on forums that he would be interested in the idea, the main problem being that he has felt previous companies has been too focused on making “their” game rather than a game in his universe. While potentially problematic I think those concerns can probably be addressed as Mongoose has experience in the area.

Matt, anyone, what do you think?
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Re: L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - Recluse Saga

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 am

I am afraid I am not familiar with it at all!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Postby Builder » Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm

msprange wrote:I am afraid I am not familiar with it at all!
Hi Matt

I would say it is one to take a look at, there are about 17 books I think and sales something like 23 to 27 million for the series.

I can put together a synopsis and breakdown of the setting and themes for you if you would like?
Land on the bicycle.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue May 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Hold fire on that - won't do any good until I have a look at the books themselves (we have a million projects on the go, and only do the ones we are passionate about).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Builder
Mongoose

Postby Builder » Tue May 06, 2014 1:01 pm

msprange wrote:Hold fire on that - won't do any good until I have a look at the books themselves (we have a million projects on the go, and only do the ones we are passionate about).
Sure, they are good books in general and explore a lot of themes around order and chaos and personal growth. All the stuff you want in a game to add complexity and tone to the setting.

My favourites being the The White Order and The Colour of Magic.
Land on the bicycle.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 pm

I have read the series and enjoyed them - some good stuff and some interesting possibilities around the novels and a long time lime to explore.

Fall of Angels was good - be interesting if there were any more accidents that brought more Angels to Recluce...........
Builder
Mongoose

Postby Builder » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 am

Da Boss wrote: Fall of Angels was good - be interesting if there were any more accidents that brought more Angels to Recluce...........
At this point I am not sure what value they bring to the setting. They have more of a knowledge of since and such yes but most of the tech doesn't work on the planet.

They work really well at the start of things and obviously thier genetic legacy spreads through the world.

what would you imagine them doing?
Land on the bicycle.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am

Well there is the interesting cultural differences and also I do like the whole tech vs magic interactions - even if as you say some things don't work as they are supposed to.
Builder
Mongoose

Postby Builder » Wed May 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Da Boss wrote:Well there is the interesting cultural differences and also I do like the whole tech vs magic interactions - even if as you say some things don't work as they are supposed to.
Yeah those are good things to play up with them. Though them landing in Hamor or the other island that is not Candar or Recluse would probably be a good idea.
Land on the bicycle.