Re.: New direction of Mongoose?

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
blue crane
Mongoose

Re.: New direction of Mongoose?

Postby blue crane » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:48 am

Hi there!

It has been some time since I have last visited the site. Things appear somewhat different over here at Mongoose. The company used to produce tonnes of role-playing books but now I see more miniatures and such.

Has it effectively stopped producing role-playing games? Many of the titles are relatively old. New supplements for many lines are non-existent. Here and there I see a new title but on the whole, most products were produced years ago.

I was always excited about the role-playing side of Mongoose but now it appears as if the company has to a large extent abandoned the most exciting side of the company! Come on, Mongoose, give us new role-playing games!

Kind regards,
Blue Crane
Boneguard
Banded Mongoose

Re: Re.: New direction of Mongoose?

Postby Boneguard » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:40 am

I don't think they are stopping the RPG production but simply giving a bit of love to the Miniatures for the moment. Kind of a Cycle between RPG "Heavy" release and Miniature "Heavy" Release period.

I know they are working on Prime Directive: Traveller in concert with Amarillo Design Bureau. Also in the Traveller's section of this forum, there's a bit of discussion about future product.
Danforth
Mongoose

Postby Danforth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 am

I would guess there is more money in miniatures than rulebooks right now. It's much harder to pirate miniatures.

My understanding is that in the current market, an RPG which is successful will sell a couple thousand copies... I don't know how that translates to the mini games, but a similar customer base might buy several sets of minis each.
Clones are People II
chaoschild
Banded Mongoose

Postby chaoschild » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Danforth wrote:an RPG which is successful will sell a couple thousand copies...
If it's VERY successful it might reach that level, more likely a few hundred. Plus there's a good chance the customer will get the core book and stop there, while miniature games lead to multiple purchases by their very nature.

Finally picked up a copy of Traveller last week, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of Dredd stuff I've got.