Weapon Skills in RQ2

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 am

Morgan d'Barganfore wrote:Do you allow the skill "shield and axe" to cover hand-axe?
And, if yes, allow it to cover melee use of hand axe and thrown use of hand-axe?
The (not very useful) answer is that it is up to you.

The default combat style in RQII consists of either one weapon or two weapons wielded at once. By default the style (shield & axe) would cover any sort of axe in close combat but wouldn't include the ability to throw it.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks that helps a lot.
Exploring it a bit further though, would skill in "two axes" i.e. in off hand too, allow use as melee and thrown?
Or just "Axe" - would that allow thrown and melee use (but not at same time)?

Is the clue here that melee is based on Str+Dex and ranged on 2xDex?
If yes, would skill in hand-axe (melee) allow thrown usr but modified by the stat (Str versus Dex) difference?
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 am

Again, the answer really is up to you. By default no. A two axe combat style would be for use with one axe in each hand. Throwing axe would be a separate style.

However if you want to have style that lets a character use an axe in melee or thrown then just do it.

What is possibly causing you a problem is "what stops some styles being better than others?" The answer is, nothing. There is no balancing meta-rule in combat styles.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks Deleriad.
I think you've nailed that one!
:)
Aneirin
Weasel

Postby Aneirin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:13 pm

And another awkward question. Say you had mace and dagger at 90...so that means using a dagger alone you have dagger as 90...

Now say you want to try a ball and chain out, so you go for ball and chain and dagger. Ball and chain starts at basic skill BUT do any attacks with your dagger still get resolved at 90? Or as it is a new style do you just go basic attack skills for both weapons? OR can some of you expertise with the dagger poke up so if you start with a two weapon style using it it starts off a bit better?

Or is it just do what ever you want/what the DM says
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Aneirin wrote:Say you had mace and dagger at 90... Now say you want to try a ball and chain out, so you go for ball and chain and dagger. Ball and chain starts at basic skill BUT do any attacks with your dagger still get resolved at 90? Or as it is a new style do you just go basic attack skills for both weapons?
Technically, you are starting a new skill. It's up to the GM as to how generous to be in allowing some of the old skill to be adapted. Also, I think I'd apply a -20 penalty to using just the dagger and not the mace as you're going to be off balance.
Aneirin
Weasel

Postby Aneirin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I like the minus 20 off balance thing...could lead to some wierdness though (like if you aren't that good with mace and dagger, and when using just the dagger, you are end up with a worse ability than just a basic dagger skill you start off with, easily resolved with a capping at off hand can't get worse than basic)
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Aneirin wrote:I like the minus 20 off balance thing...could lead to some wierdness though (like if you aren't that good with mace and dagger, and when using just the dagger, you are end up with a worse ability than just a basic dagger skill you start off with, easily resolved with a capping at off hand can't get worse than basic)
Well, since weapon styles are all common skills, everyone has every weapon style at base anyway so you would just be using your base "just a dagger" skill instead of your penalised "dagger and mace" skill.