Weapon Skills in RQ2

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Weapon Skills in RQ2

Postby taxboy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi there - to confirm, Weapon skills are basic skills so all PCs have them at least at the underlying stat skills and you don't need to spend 2 improvement rules to purchase?

Also, don't people think Dex should make it harder to hit (as well as parry). In our group we allow the Dex (less armour mods) as a negative to hit mod to attacks the defender is aware of.

Comments?
Welcome to our agreed reality
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Yes, all weapon skills are basic skills and anyone can "have a go" with any weapon. Or, if you're a Knight of Volanc and have your STR and DEX boosted up to around 30 each, you can "be very dangerous" with any weapon.

I suppose a GM might want to rule that exotic weapons like a Flaming Meteor is an Advanced Skill.

Figuring DEX directly in to an enemy's chance to hit is an interesting idea, but involves too much fiddling around with numbers for my liking.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:28 am

PhilHibbs wrote:Yes, all weapon skills are basic skills and anyone can "have a go" with any weapon. Or, if you're a Knight of Volanc and have your STR and DEX boosted up to around 30 each, you can "be very dangerous" with any weapon.

I suppose a GM might want to rule that exotic weapons like a Flaming Meteor is an Advanced Skill.

Figuring DEX directly in to an enemy's chance to hit is an interesting idea, but involves too much fiddling around with numbers for my liking.
Nah, it is not too fiddling as basically everyone has a defensive value that is static (as long as armour is unchanged).

Another thing that irks me is no ability to target locations.
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:01 am

taxboy wrote:Another thing that irks me is no ability to target locations.
That would be the "Choose Location" manoeuvre that you can choose on a success vs failed or no parry.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:24 am

PhilHibbs wrote:
taxboy wrote:Another thing that irks me is no ability to target locations.
That would be the "Choose Location" manoeuvre that you can choose on a success vs failed or no parry.
Well yes, but that is AFTER you hit. Aiming for head with modifier is what I am after
Redcrow
Mongoose

Postby Redcrow » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 am

taxboy wrote:Well yes, but that is AFTER you hit. Aiming for head with modifier is what I am after
Targetting a specific location really only matters IF you hit. If you miss then what does it matter if you were trying to target a specific location or not? The modifier you are after is already calculated into your roll vs. your opponents defense roll and rather than being a static number as it is in most other games it instead is a function of your skill of attack vs. your opponents ability to defend. Which IMO is much more realistic and better than a static penalty which never even gives consideration to a combatants skill. YMMV.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:32 am

Redcrow wrote:
taxboy wrote:Well yes, but that is AFTER you hit. Aiming for head with modifier is what I am after
Targetting a specific location really only matters IF you hit. If you miss then what does it matter if you were trying to target a specific location or not? The modifier you are after is already calculated into your roll vs. your opponents defense roll and rather than being a static number as it is in most other games it instead is a function of your skill of attack vs. your opponents ability to defend. Which IMO is much more realistic and better than a static penalty which never even gives consideration to a combatants skill. YMMV.
Sorry, totally disagree - it is harder to target the head or foot than main mass or arm, and if you miss the head or arm , likely totally miss the whole person.

Now, missing a body part and accidentally hitting another area would be cool.
Redcrow
Mongoose

Postby Redcrow » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 am

taxboy wrote: Sorry, totally disagree - it is harder to target the head or foot than main mass or arm, and if you miss the head or arm , likely totally miss the whole person.

Now, missing a body part and accidentally hitting another area would be cool.
But don't you see, that is exactly how it works. Its just that it works sort of backwards from what you are used to. Instead of declaring before the attack roll that you are targetting a specific location, you roll first and then if it is a high enough success you can declare that you were targetting a specific location. If you failed it wouldn't really matter that you were targetting a specific location or not. If you succeed, but don't get a high enough success to gain a CM and thus target a specific location, but perhaps enough to at least hit, you could just as easily narrate it as though you were going for the head but missed that location and hit another. Thats where the missing a body part and accidentally hitting another comes in.

The more skilled your opponent the more difficult they are to hit in a specific location because you have to score better on the opposed roll. If you are skilled enough you could probably run around whacking peasants in the head all day long, but against a skilled opponent its not going to be that easy. Skilled opponents are just better at defending their weak spots and avoiding all the other combat maneuvers.

A few of the CMs are really handled sort of backwards from the way most other games work. Maneuvers like Disarm and Trip are usually declared first and then modifiers are factored in and the attack roll is made to determine success. I sort of prefer the way MRQ2 handles things in that it reflects skill a bit better in that you aren't likely to attempt one of these maneuvers unless a valid opening in your opponents defenses presents itself. With a static modifier you could attempt it and fail to achieve anything with every single action while this system better reflects that you might still achieve some level of success while you are waiting for an opening to score that all important CM.

Its your game of course, and you are free to add hit location penalties if you wish. I just don't think they are necessary once you understand that things like targetting a specific location are just handled a little backwards from most other games and pulling off those maneuvers is a function of skill vs. your opponent rather than a static modifier. YMMV.
taxboy
Banded Mongoose

Postby taxboy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 am

I am starting to come over to your way of thinking...or at least accept it enough to remove my fevour...
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 am

I hadn't really noticed to was "same content but reverse order".
At first it did feel wrong, but, as you cite, it does now feel more appropriate.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:00 am

OK, so is it correct that if I pick up a javelin and "have a go with it" [untrained, so at Dex x2] I can later spend Improvement Rolls on javelin?
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Morgan d'Barganfore wrote:OK, so is it correct that if I pick up a javelin and "have a go with it" [untrained, so at Dex x2] I can later spend Improvement Rolls on javelin?
Yes, it's a Common Skill, so everyone has a javelin skill that they can use and improve.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Morgan d'Barganfore wrote:I hadn't really noticed to was "same content but reverse order".
At first it did feel wrong, but, as you cite, it does now feel more appropriate.
I don't think its any better than the try and attempt something with a modifier - the promary disadvantage is that its reactive rather then proactive

eg: You can't go for disarming a opponent and succeed or fail you have to wait till the dice gives you the opportunity.... I prefer to make the choice myself.

Lucikly our currrent (and excellent) Clockwork and Chivalry campaign has relatively little combat and much more rping or I think the systems issues would have been more of an issue - especailly the lack of Cms that work on NPCs with total Hps rather than loc based.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Phil - thanks - as ever, nice and clear!
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Hey Boss - can you expand a little on the campaign?
i.e. how do you mean "lack of CMs that work on NPCs etc"?
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:19 pm

If you are using the "Total HPs" rule for minor NPCs, where you don't track all the locations separately but instead just have a single, higher number of hit points for the whole body, then "Choose Locaton" is of no value.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Could it not still make a difference if some areas of the NPC are less well armoured than others?
PhilHibbs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PhilHibbs » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:24 am

If you detail them to that level you might as well use location hits. If you are going to go with general HPs, might as well go with equal armour as well.
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:22 am

Ok, fair enough.
I was just doing a "Phil" and exploring the boundaries.
(No offense intended)
Morgan d'Barganfore
Mongoose

Postby Morgan d'Barganfore » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:24 am

Do you allow the skill "shield and axe" to cover hand-axe?
And, if yes, allow it to cover melee use of hand axe and thrown use of hand-axe?