Traveller: WW2

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Traveller: WW2

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:43 am

OK, 'Pulp' may have been done to death in the RPG world, but a really good High Tech version of WW2 could be a good option.

Again, the Traveller rules, particularly with a militaristic emphasis are a good fit. I could see something in the form of a Gear Krieg style settings, with massive robots and the like, or maybe like H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds in tone. Maybe a bit of Psionics thrown in for good measure. It could also serve as a backstory setting for Codename: Veil, possibly.

Incidentally, why has nobody done a straight Commando (comic) style game before?
Outtasight!
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 am

Mmmm... I don't know. I feel a realistic WW2 roleplaying game would run better with percentage-based mechanics like those in MRQ.

In fact I would have loved Mongoose Traveller to use the MRQ (or BRP) rules, so I guess it's all a matter of tastes.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:39 am

There is somebody trying to convert Traveller to BRP rules on the BRP central site. Bluntly, I don't think it works very well.

Basically the two rule sets are very distinct in a lot of areas, and come from different mindsets. Not better than each other, just different.

The Traveller rules used for WW2 would have a different, more 'constructed' feel than BRP. There would be more emphasis on systems and design, in character generation and things like vehicle construction and tactics.

The BRP rules would be more ephemeral in application, so a BRP WW2 book would be much more like a generic sourcebook with easy to follow rules that don't get in the way. This wouldn't be a bad thing, although I think there a few gamebooks like that already, and they don't necessarily sell that well.
Outtasight!