Honor Harrington

Postby Beastttt » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:54 am

the Honor Harrington books
done for traveller
ship combat in the Honorverse
lordmalachdrim
Stoat

Postby lordmalachdrim » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:24 pm

I'd buy it. The books were good (liked the earlier ones better)
Scuzzlebutt142
Stoat

Postby Scuzzlebutt142 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:36 am

I thought there already was an Honor Harrington ship combat system?

http://www.adastragames.com/products/adastra/sits.html
Mal: Well, Looks like we arrived just in time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes sir!
Mal: Ain't we just.

Firefly, Safe
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:21 am

Scuzzlebutt142 wrote:I thought there already was an Honor Harrington ship combat system?

http://www.adastragames.com/products/adastra/sits.html
Yes, but not a RPG, or?
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
DaWarbossMI
Stoat

Postby DaWarbossMI » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 pm

The combat system is MUCH more like a simulation. A buddy of mine picked it up and, after 'flipping' through the exhaustive set of rules, we decided that you could only play it if you have a full staff at the table behind you doing calculations on supercomputers!

It really is more of a simulation than a game, which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but math ain't zactlee mah strong point!
Jay "DaWarboss"
jayhyland@explodinggoatgames.com
CT Mobile Infantry
Commander of FAAAR Too Many Armies
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Ad Astra is also working on an RPG; there is a Worlds of Honor RPG sub-forum if you want to see where they are.
DaWarbossMI wrote:The combat system is MUCH more like a simulation. A buddy of mine picked it up and, after 'flipping' through the exhaustive set of rules, we decided that you could only play it if you have a full staff at the table behind you doing calculations on supercomputers!

It really is more of a simulation than a game, which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but math ain't zactlee mah strong point!
Version 1.0 might require some math: you do occasionally have to divide by 4 or something. Version 2.0 is substantially streamlined--not as streamlined as ACtA, but not too bad. Still, the publisher is on record as saying flipping through the book is exactly the wrong way to learn the game: it's like trying to learn pool by reading a high school physics text. Rack up some ships, hit them with the cue and see what happens instead...
DaWarbossMI
Stoat

Postby DaWarbossMI » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 am

DIVIDE BY FOUR?!?!?!?!? GEEEZ MAN!!!

You lose me at one!!! :lol:

I think the large number of charts and cross-references got to me, although I too have heard that the second edition is far more streamlined than the first.
Jay "DaWarboss"
jayhyland@explodinggoatgames.com
CT Mobile Infantry
Commander of FAAAR Too Many Armies
Finarvyn
Mongoose

Postby Finarvyn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Xorrandor wrote:Ad Astra is also working on an RPG; there is a Worlds of Honor RPG sub-forum if you want to see where they are.
The Honor Harrington RPG is based on the d6 system, first pioneered by WEG as part of their Star Wars RPG. They've been doing some tweaking and such to the d6 rules and have playtested their game, but I haven't heard anything about offical release dates yet.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Amber Diceless player since 1993
OD&D player since 1975
Aurore
Weasel

Postby Aurore » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:26 am

I've been watching their progress on it. It's one of many projects and they have limited staff. I think 1 person works on it part time. I think it will be some time yet before anything comes out.

it's based on the d6 system as has been stated, but more importantly focuses on the roleplaying challenges because Honorverse is not a conventional traveller setting IF you expect to be following in the footsteps of the stories.

As a setting it is very traveller friendly, but most people who know the books would want to play military based characters rather than a bunch of space drifters out for a buck which is what many space rpg campaigns have been in my experience. So the HH rpg focuses on trying to get characters to act the part of members of the millitary in a space setting, which many players will need help with.

many rpg players are shall we say less than disciplined when playing, and punching your superior (npc) officer in the face because you dont like what he just said to you is going to get you court martialled in any realistic millitary setting, so players need to learn a different style. The HH rpg aims to try and make this easier, and at the moment thats what they seem to be working on more than rule mechanics, with a bunch of playtest groups running and reporting game diaries to the devs.

It would work well as a traveller setting both for millitary and non millitary characters however. The careers from high guard nd mercenary are pretty much perfect for making HH millitary characters. Some setting specific alterations would need to be made and I suppose youd need slightly different careers for the Royal Manticoran Navy, the Peoples Republic of Haven Navy and the Andermani and various others but probably very minor ones. The ship combat works differently and would likely need redoing somewhat, but all in all I think traveller would adapt well to it.

In any case Ad Astra have the rights to it so I dont think making a traveller suplement would be possible until Ad Astra have released theirs, but I'm no lawyer :)