Release schedule query

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
User avatar
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 10:08 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Release schedule query

Postby Poi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 am

Stop aiming so high, and you might have a chance of delivering something on time.
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15164
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:52 am

Well, first, I find fault in your argument.

There is going to be a post on Planet Mongoose about this (and other things soon) but, in a nutshell, this adjustment is due to the introduction of our new Layout Artist, Will. With the new position comes new systems and processes for doing books, and we have been shaking those out and seeing how they stand up - we now know where books will appear in the schedule, and when they will appear in stores.

Most importantly, every book we have listed for 2008 will appear in 2008 - nothing has slipped to 2009.

There have been some other factors as well, though more minor. High Guard needed some additional work, and there was no way we were going to release that before it was ready - that had a knock on effect on Traders & Gunboats, and Fighting Ships. A couple of Flaming Cobra books have slipped slightly - if the studios do not get files to us as planned, we have to wait for them (they tend to have Real Life jobs to deal with too!).

In most cases, books have moved only by a week or two, but if that crosses the boundary of two months, it can look like more. What you have not seen yet is that many books in 2009 have moved _up_ the schedule, and will be appearing earlier.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
User avatar
Samvail1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:04 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby Samvail1 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

I for one don't mind a release schedule slippage if it means the layout artist has time to do his work and make the new releases attractive. Because God-knows, they need some artistic input.


Sam
User avatar
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 10:08 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Postby Poi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

That's cool. At least you know why this delay is happening.

I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

And the next.

And the next.

And in spite of myself, I even bought a printed Mongoose product at Gencon. So you see Matt, I do love you, after all. :wink:
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
User avatar
Burger
Warlord Mongoose
Posts: 8150
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:44 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Postby Burger » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:38 am

Samvail1 wrote:I for one don't mind a release schedule slippage if it means the layout artist has time to do his work
Seconded, and expanded... I don't mind any length of delay as long as the product is better for it! Being rushed out to meet a deadline is the worst possible thing to do.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Image
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15164
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:39 am

Poi wrote:That's cool. At least you know why this delay is happening.

I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

And the next.

And the next.

And in spite of myself, I even bought a printed Mongoose product at Gencon. So you see Matt, I do love you, after all. :wink:
I can fully understand where you are coming from. However, I would ask you to cast your mind back to about two years ago (if you were with us then). For several years, we were one of the only companies to announce not only a release month for our books, but a release _day_ for all of them - and we hit that day at least 90% of the time (with about 80 books a year, that was good going).

Over the past two years, we have had a few 'issues' as they say - in-house printing, staff shortages (which convention season really played havoc with this year). However, gradually, we have been putting the systems in place to go back to our old, and very good, track record.

You might have seen that this has already happened with the Lone Wolf books - everything else will be following very quickly now.

What say you and I have this conversation again in December? :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
User avatar
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sat May 01, 2004 10:08 am
Location: Basingstoke, UK

Postby Poi » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:45 pm

I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 9:33 am
Location: NZ

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:12 am

Well, if you can get everything out, on your list, by Xmas, with good quality of printing - it will be a turn around from last year. Moreover, with the possible licences you have speculated on, and with your systems firmly established, it sets up Mongoose very well for next year.
Outtasight!
starfleet
Weasel
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:56 am

Postby starfleet » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:08 am

I'll admit the earlier stuff put out some of it looked ... horrible, Armegeddon 2069 is a big one that stands out to me.. mainly because I found it seemed to be a waste of money in the end.

The thing that annoys me though is that we are almost 3/4ths through October, and yet High Guard isn't out etc. At least with -most- companies you know when in the month to expect a book release, and with no offense to MGP because they are doing a great job with traveller... if you set a release date why are you getting close and still worrying about the book being done and having to push it back?

By the time the release date comes close you guys should have had the book finished and polished ready to go to the printers, but I drift, what I was getting at is that most other publishers have a set period of the month they ship their products WOTC for example ships out around the 7th of each month.

It would be nice if MGP could choose 1 or 2 days in a month state that these dates are the dates their books will be realesed. Rather then October (High Guard) and then have us wait the entire month wondering exactly when it's going to be out.. if you miss those 1 or 2 days that you set say one at the start of the month one roughly 2/3rd through the month.. then you go and shift the product to the next months release.
-Rob.
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15164
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby MongooseMatt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 am

starfleet wrote: The thing that annoys me though is that we are almost 3/4ths through October, and yet High Guard isn't out etc. At least with -most- companies you know when in the month to expect a book release
I'll call you on that - there are _two_ companies in the market that do that (WotC and White Wolf) and, when there were three, the third was Mongoose.

For various reasons, our schedule has been disrupted this year, but we are now back on track and, in 2009, we wil be going back to listing what day you can expect to see a book, rather than just the month.
starfleet wrote:and with no offense to MGP because they are doing a great job with traveller... if you set a release date why are you getting close and still worrying about the book being done and having to push it back?
Umm, we are not worrying, and we are not pushing High Guard back. It has already been printed, and will be arriving in our warehouse this week. . .
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
elgrin
Mongoose
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:41 pm
Location: Middle England

Postby elgrin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:14 am

To extend the query, how about 'Ruins of Glorantha'.
As an impatient old grumbler, I tend to wait until I know it is in Mongoose House before ordering anything, so it arrives quickly: therefore the deathly silence on Ruins is leaving my credit card in suspended animation.

elgrin
Last edited by elgrin on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Universe is full of magical things waiting for our wits to grow sharper
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15164
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby MongooseMatt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 pm

elgrin wrote:To extend the query, how about 'Ruins of Glorantha'.
As an impatient old grumbler, I tend to wait until I know it is in Mongoose House before oredering anything, so it arrives quickly: therefore the deathly silence on Ruins is leaving my credit card in suspended animation.

elgrin
Ruins already printed, in the warehouse, and we have copies here in the office!

Will be announcing it next week, but if you want to steal in and jump the queue. . .
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
User avatar
Woas
Mongoose
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:54 am
Location: Upsate New York
Contact:

Postby Woas » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:22 pm

Yeah pushing a release is fine, no big deal. We've lived without the book this far whats another couple days/weeks/months/years?

But don't push a release and have it be another Spore. :evil: Then I will be angry.
Lord of the Thunder please be my guide;
before and after my last ride;
I'll be your Soldier serving the light;
riding forever alive and proud.
Iron Guardian
Stoat
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:02 am
Location: Fairport, NY

Postby Iron Guardian » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:53 pm

As for me, I have pretty much given up on ever seeing anything for Traveller...I guess I will count myself lucky I even got the Core rulesbook and 760 Patrons from my FLGS. I know Rulesbook "0", Mercenary, and the Spinward Marches are out, but they have never gotten around to these parts. :( When I asked about them not too long ago at my FLGS, they had some rather unflattering things to say about Mongoose and its distribution system or something along those lines (though they have gotten in the Chimaera book and Wraith Recon recently). From what I remember from past problems at my FLGS, I tend to believe the fault lies mainly with their distributor(s) who tend to put more priority on the big retailers like WalMart, KMart, and the like. :x As for online buying, I rarely do it unless I have to (call me "old-fashioned," or "old-school" as I guess they call it now :roll: ) as I always prefer to have the item(s) in my hands when I make a purchase.
"ENOUGH TALK!" -- Conan the Destroyer

"I aim to misbehave" -- Malcolm Reynolds

That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. That which does not make me insane, did not try hard enough.
elgrin
Mongoose
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:41 pm
Location: Middle England

Postby elgrin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:38 am

msprange wrote:
elgrin wrote:To extend the query, how about 'Ruins of Glorantha'.
As an impatient old grumbler, I tend to wait until I know it is in Mongoose House before ordering anything, so it arrives quickly: therefore the deathly silence on Ruins is leaving my credit card in suspended animation.

elgrin
Ruins already printed, in the warehouse, and we have copies here in the office!

Will be announcing it next week, but if you want to steal in and jump the queue. . .
Thanks for the heads-up, now if I can get all that dust off the plastic!
elgrin

+1 day : Ah well that was painless, just waiting for the Postie now.
The Universe is full of magical things waiting for our wits to grow sharper
starfleet
Weasel
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:56 am

Postby starfleet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:57 am

msprange wrote:The thing that Umm, we are not worrying, and we are not pushing High Guard back. It has already been printed, and will be arriving in our warehouse this week. . .

Care to explain why HIGH GAURD is now listed in your November releases rather then this month? If you where not pushing it back why is it no longer on the main page listed as this months release like it was ORIGINALLY meant to be be?

Just to show the point:
Latest News

Babylon 5 Open Day - This Saturday!
Gygax Games & Mongoose Publishing
Baron Munchausen - Out This Week!
Signs & Portents 61 - Ready for Download!

Click here for a full list of all past news articles.

Next Month's Releases
Adventure 1: Beltstrike
£15.00
Details
Adventurer's Equipment Guide
£20.00
Details
Alpha Complex Nights 2
£10.00
Apocalypse Z
£10.00
Details
Betrayer of Asgard
£15.00
Details
Book 2: High Guard
£15.00
Details
Cults of the Young Kingdoms
£15.00
Details
Dragon Warriors Bestiary
£15.00
Details
Dragon Warriors RPG
£20.00
Details
Ducks: Guide to the Durulz
£15.00
Details
Khitai
£15.00
Details
Lone Wolf 8: Jungle of Horrors - Collector's Editi
£11.00
Details
etc.. etc.
also found http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/ ... 9f26bb5b16

oh and of course the books actual product page:
Book 2: High Guard

Author: Gareth Hanrahan
Series: Traveller

Price: £15.00
Format: Softback (154 pages)
Shipping date: November 2008
Ref: ISBN 978-1-906103-63-7 | MGP3803
I find it amazing that you can sit here and state it is not being pushed back from it's release month and then less then a week later what do we see? The book is pushed back.

I've put up with a lot from MGP of late, Over Priced Miniture lines (A call to arms which come to over 100$ per box in australia (yet if i want to play War Hammer I could get the mini's far far cheaper (almost half the price amazing that)), disappointing systems (Armeggedon 2069 which couldn't even agree on what type of combat system you where using grid or hex). Re-Releases of game editions shortly after the 'original' release (Babylon 5 and Babylon 5 2nd edition). But this one is like a slap in the face and one that I can sit here and laugh back at... an actual Employee of MGP posts something.. and less then 6 days later we see it's a blatent false post..

You guys ask us to remember how you 'used' to be.. meeting your release dates, yeah well that was one of the saving graces that allowed me to justify spending the money given I don't earn that much from my job, I -knew- that X suppliment would be out when said.. Now I am starting to not believe a word said by you guys... It's not a matter of remembering how you where.. It's a matter of looking at HOW you ARE NOW. I'll buy the traveller books when and IF they ever come out because I love traveller and I love the new Version and want to be able to have the new careers and ship construction rules etc.. but that doesn't mean I won't complain about the fact you are missing your dead lines and now actually posting false statements.
-Rob.
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15164
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:49 am

starfleet wrote: Care to explain why HIGH GAURD is now listed in your November releases rather then this month?
Because, if you read the post we made in the Traveller forum, you would see that High Guard did indeed arrive on time, but that it had a printing error. You can have your copy right now, if you wish - or you could wait just two weeks, and have a good copy.
starfleet wrote: I've put up with a lot from MGP of late, Over Priced Miniture lines (A call to arms which come to over 100$ per box in australia
We do not set prices in Australia. You must look elsewhere for that.
starfleet wrote: of combat system you where using grid or hex). Re-Releases of game editions shortly after the 'original' release (Babylon 5 and Babylon 5 2nd edition). But this one is like a slap in the face and
Three years separated them, and the general consensus was that a second edition was desirable.
starfleet wrote: said.. Now I am starting to not believe a word said by you guys...
Dude, seriously, High Guard has been bumped not two years, not two months, but two weeks. . .
starfleet wrote: now actually posting false statements.
Okay, stop there. When the statement was made, everything was on track. High Guard did indeed arrive at our warehouse on time, and was sent to distributors, again on time.

When a printing error was noticed, we could have ignored it and you would now have your book. However, we made the decision to pull it from distribution, destroy existing copies and initiate a new print run, knowing that it would push the book into a November release, because that was the RIGHT THING TO DO.

And, I think, you know that. . .
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
User avatar
Samvail1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:04 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Postby Samvail1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 am

To Starfleet,

Mongoose are doing their very best and are providing up-to-date information when they can. Matthew posts regularly on these forums with all the latest information and compared to most other RPG publishers is one of the best fan communicators around.

If you want to question Mongoose on areas to improve, there are other areas you could target rather than release scheduling.

Sam
elgrin
Mongoose
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:41 pm
Location: Middle England

Postby elgrin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:56 pm

elgrin wrote:
msprange wrote:
elgrin wrote:To extend the query, how about 'Ruins of Glorantha'.
As an impatient old grumbler, I tend to wait until I know it is in Mongoose House before ordering anything, so it arrives quickly: therefore the deathly silence on Ruins is leaving my credit card in suspended animation.

elgrin
Ruins already printed, in the warehouse, and we have copies here in the office!

Will be announcing it next week, but if you want to steal in and jump the queue. . .
Thanks for the heads-up, now if I can get all that dust off the plastic!
elgrin

+1 day : Ah well that was painless, just waiting for the Postie now.

I appreciate it's a bit pretentious to Quote myself, but I must give credit where its due.

Sunday: hint from MS that as 'Ruins' is in it would be a good move to get an order in quickly.
Monday: After work, get on phone , but warned have missed post today.
Wed: Arrive home after work - lying on the doormat.
That is good service by anyone's standard.

Keep it up.
Now when did I see 'Ducks' is out.

elgrin
The Universe is full of magical things waiting for our wits to grow sharper
User avatar
Chernobyl
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4944
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 10:12 pm
Location: the part of the US that's still sane

Postby Chernobyl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Samvail1 wrote:To Starfleet,

Mongoose are doing their very best and are providing up-to-date information when they can. Matthew posts regularly on these forums with all the latest information and compared to most other RPG publishers is one of the best fan communicators around.

If you want to question Mongoose on areas to improve, there are other areas you could target rather than release scheduling.

Sam
seconded.
www.epicarmycard.com
For ACTA and E:A resources

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests