Starship Troopers....

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Evan
Cub

Starship Troopers....

Postby Evan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:32 pm

I really wish this game was still around. Is there any chance of it returning to Mongoose?
SST BRING IT BACK!!!!
darth_azabrush
Banded Mongoose

Postby darth_azabrush » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:08 am

They're planning on a Traveler SST I think.
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 pm

darth_azabrush wrote:They're planning on a Traveler SST I think.
That's a lifeline. :)

Hopefully if it flys, it'll eventually draw enough interest for MP to start up SST:Evo again.

Or so I hope.
-Bill
--------------
Sometimes when you roll the dice, you roll craps.
Xorrandor
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Xorrandor » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 pm

The playtest files for the minis game are also available. And now that BFE Modern is out, there shouldn't be anything standing in the way of trying those out.
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Xorrandor wrote:The playtest files for the minis game are also available. And now that BFE Modern is out, there shouldn't be anything standing in the way of trying those out.
Yeah, those are nice. Haven't had a chance to get to them yet. We've been trying out the Apocalypse Z test rules. Talk about brutally painful for the humans. Zombies kick butt.

Hmmmm, zombie MI's. Now that would be scary. Or zombie skinnies.
-Bill
--------------
Aragorn300
Shrew

More Heinlein than Verhoven...

Postby Aragorn300 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 pm

One thing I hope is that it is more like the novels than the movies.
Visually, the movie was fine for starships, vehicles and the bugs, and the power suits from the novel probably most resemble the suits in the Anime "Appleseed".

In game terms, becoming a citizen could be hot stuff, gaining bonuses to things like wisdom and new skills and access to the government to echo Heinlein's unique democracy.

I have probably read the original 3 or 4 times...and despite what critics say, it is NOT a fascist government. It's simply showing an extreme to illustrate an extreme...In a world where millions vote on a candidate's looks and personality, making someone EARN their vote almost makes sense...remember, the Nazis were VOTED into power based on sheer force of personality.
The novel was actually about personal responsiblity and civic virtue as seen through the perspective of old military codes of honor.

There is a scene in the book --published in 1958-- when a teacher in the future talks about the end of the 20th century. The teacher talks about how corporal punishment (spanking for those too young to remember) was done away with, and the lack of punishment under the law led to an explosion in crime among those in their teens/early 20's, including increased gang activity, and extreme violence......In 1958 most parents still spanked children, juvenile crime was marginal at best, and most gangs got into fist fights not hosing down neigborhoods with bullets.
I don't know about our friends over on the UK side of the pond, but juvenile crime has to unprecendented heights, and 13 year old murderers are more common than anyone wants to admit....I dont agree with all Heinlein's reasons as to why things went bad, but he certainly predicted it quite well.
I'll kill a man in a fair fight...or if I think he's going to start a fair fight...or for a woman...or for the money...mostly for the money...
---Jane in Serenity
Evan
Cub

Postby Evan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 am

I agree with you aragorn, I am reading the book right now and that whole entire part really gave me the chills considering how much of it is so true in the u.s..... I mean earlier this year at my highschool this kid was sent to the hospital because of a fight....
SST BRING IT BACK!!!!
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Re: More Heinlein than Verhoven...

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:25 am

Aragorn300 wrote: I don't know about our friends over on the UK side of the pond, but juvenile crime has to unprecendented heights, and 13 year old murderers are more common than anyone wants to admit....I dont agree with all Heinlein's reasons as to why things went bad, but he certainly predicted it quite well.
Teenagers (and younger kids) carrying knifes, knife murders among teenagers and young adults, underage drinking, and anti-social behaviour among young people, are all constantly in the media here in the UK. (Despite actual statistics showing crime is on the fall).
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:17 pm

I think it was on the this board that someone said "if it bleeds, it leads" which is pretty much how most new agencies work.

Kittens, flowers, and candy don't sell ad space I'm afraid.

Most things are cyclical, so I'm sure in time we will work our way back to paddlin's and woodpile talks.
-Bill
--------------
Monkey_Bloke
Shrew

Postby Monkey_Bloke » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:03 pm

Going back to the post about SST Traveller, I would love that.
I got the d20 version that mongoose published, but I think that MGT would be a better system fit. Character creation would be cool, you should be almost guaranteed to get an injury every tour, and a cool (but bulky) prosthetic.
I think the first game was closest to the animated series in it's look, with the green power armour.
I like that, it lets me run different types of games, and if I want to emulate the book in style then I give the PCs marauders.
Aragorn300
Shrew

animated look vs new look.

Postby Aragorn300 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 pm

Yea, the animated definitely had a good look.
Unfortunately, 20 years of japanese mecha anime tends to make Heinlein's original vision now sound like a mecha cliche.

Making an all new look might be best. I think a good artist could take present body armor like the Dragonskin used by soldiers in Iraq, add on sealed breathing gear and optics, then amp it up....put some exotic camoflage colors like black and crimson tiger stripes on blue background to simulate camoflage for non-earth like vegatation.

The power suit weapons could be detachable from forearm pods as well as vertically lauched missiles from the backpack. That way instead of having the same weapons all the time, players could choose before they jump....or they could have GM orchestrated "supply problems" where they don't get the proper weapon pods.
I'll kill a man in a fair fight...or if I think he's going to start a fair fight...or for a woman...or for the money...mostly for the money...
---Jane in Serenity