2300AD, not 2320...

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:21 pm

hm. Extrapolation to the Nth degree.

Can we just keep it 2300AD canon please? There have been THOUSANDS of "What ifs" for 2300AD and can all be judged by how much their creators play them. Lets not fragment 2300AD before its been reborn eh?

Im not shooting down your HYPOTHESIS unnecessarily but it's not a future of 2300AD i'd be interested in tbh.

The more CHOICE we are given, the less we are SATISFIED with what we have.

Oh yeah, as stated earlier Colin won't be involved.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 pm

you mean 2320 AD now? 2300 AD is past tense.
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:39 pm

ok. try and keep up.

2320AD, to be honest, is ALSO past tense now as it is owned by QLI. If 23XX has any serious future, in my honest opinion, it should be as 2300AD canon. A complete rewrite of its future history is gonna start provoking fans. Its a testament to Colin and his writing that his 20 year addendum to the timeline didnt annoy anyone.

Im not saying someone else couldnt also do a good job but lets walk before we can run eh?

The time line of 2320AD in any new production by Mongoose cant go ahead as it is owned by QLI. It would be financially safer to start again from 2300AD upwards. As much as he annoyed me (I did contribute a fair amount of artwork to 2320AD's supposed final print version) 2320AD is HUNTERS. best we leave it alone.

Again, all of this is conjecture as Matt hasnt resolved anything yet.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 am

Stephen,

Sorry, did not really read the earlier posts.

Anyways will support the Mongoose 2300 AD, too bad about 2320 AD, great setting.

Just curious about the Mongoose 2300 AD, this will be exactly in keeping with GDWs version all the way or will there be some deviation?
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:18 am

who's stephen?

Agree with you about 2320AD. Hate d20 rules but the setting was probably the best advancement of the canon i couldve forseen.well done colin again.

Hopefully Mongoose 2300AD (or MG23?) will be a little more art heavy and detailed than MGT. IMHO.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:03 pm

I would also expect M23 to use the Traveller rules and basically be an alternate setting. The Stutterwarp drive is a simple variation of the FTL drives described in the Traveller Main Book (TMB).

Careers and gear would be adapted to the M23 setting, but the game mechanics would be D6 Traveller based.

Just my guess of course.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I mean steff.

Actually looking at the Mongoose traveller rules. 2300 AD can easilly be adapted to the it.

I'm comparing the two systems of 2320 and Mongoose Traveller for reference btw.

For example

Kafers:

+2 Strength, +1 Dexterity, +2 Endurance.

Intelligence only 1d6 is rolled(instead of 2d6). Max increase by experience to 6 only.
Education only 1d6 is rolled(instead of 2d6)
No social standing Charisma only rolled at 1d6(instead of 2d6). Kafers like the Vagr tend to follow a charismatic leader.

Special abilities

Armored carapace: armor rating 1 for Torso hits.

Getting smart: During combat. +6 to intelligence & charisma and that is what is added to Kafer intelligence. Use base intelligence and charisma 1d6 turns into combat then switch to modified intelligence and charisma

Also +1 to all skills when smart.

This lasts until combat is over.(no more enemies visible).

Careers not allowed for Kafers:

Noble, Agent, Citizen, entertainer, Merchants, marines, rogue, drifter.

Notes:

Every Kafer is either part of the armed forces(scout, army and navy) or part of the professional class(scholar).

Sample Kafer weapons

Horse Pistol(14.5mm pistol) TL 5, Range: Ranged Pistol. Recoil: -2, Mass: 1.5 KG(loaded). Damage 3d6. Magazine: 7 rounds.

Thud Gun(12.7mm rifle) TL 6. Range: Rifle. Recoil: -1. Mass 6.7 KG loaded. Damage 4d6. Magazine 66 rounds.

Flashlight(.73 Megajoule laser rifle). TL 9. Recoil: -, Range: Rifle. Mass 4.5 KG loaded. Damage 5d6. Mag: 12 shots.
Last edited by tetsuo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:57 pm

More....

Sung:

Strength -2, Dex +1.

Abilities:

Flight

Natural compass: can immidietly tell which direction he is facing without the use of the compass.

Sample weapons

JZ-92 Gyrojet rifle. TL 9, Range Rifle, damage 3d6, mass: 2.3 KG, Mag: 55 shots.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Since its going to be 2300 AD GDW canon, I'd like to see more stuff not covered in the GDW sourcebooks namely:

Sourcebooks on:

The Tier 1 & Tier 2 nations. I think all of them deserve to get sourcebooks which detail their nations, society, economy, territorial and colonial holdings, armed forces, etc. Also new ship, vehicle and equipment types would be very good.

I especially want to see a Manchuria sourcebook, being probably the strongest Tier 2 power, I think it deserves more info.
tetsuo
Weasel

Postby tetsuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:27 pm

Also maybe Twilight instead of being a nuclear war would have been a asteriod strike which devastates Earth Civilization in the 21st century.(I think this was covered in an earlier post).

The subsequent chaos greatly affects the balance of power in the 21st century.(maybe the asteriod strike hits the Pacific area.

So this explains why space has become the main focus for human expansion while the other techs are stunted.(for protection vs. another asteriod strike).

As of 2300 AD current powers:

Tier 1: France

Tier 2: Manchuria, America, Great Britain, Germany, Japan

Rivalries:

France are rivals with Germany and Manchuria

Manchurians are rivals with France and Japan
gloomhound
Mongoose

Postby gloomhound » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 pm

tetsuo wrote:Also maybe Twilight instead of being a nuclear war would have been a asteriod strike which devastates Earth Civilization in the 21st century.(I think this was covered in an earlier post).

The subsequent chaos greatly affects the balance of power in the 21st century.(maybe the asteriod strike hits the Pacific area.

So this explains why space has become the main focus for human expansion while the other techs are stunted.(for protection vs. another asteriod strike).

As of 2300 AD current powers:

Tier 1: France

Tier 2: Manchuria, America, Great Britain, Germany, Japan

Rivalries:

France are rivals with Germany and Manchuria

Manchurians are rivals with France and Japan
Not to bad.
2kuhl4you
Weasel

I have finished my version of Traveller 2300

Postby 2kuhl4you » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:30 pm

It took a while and adds up to a 60 page Word document but my home-made 2300 is done. The warships took the lion's share of the work and some things don't quite fit but I waved my GM staff of power. I will be starting my campaign the first weekend of January.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares are doomed to plow for those who didn't.
gloomhound
Mongoose

Re: I have finished my version of Traveller 2300

Postby gloomhound » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:16 pm

2kuhl4you wrote:It took a while and adds up to a 60 page Word document but my home-made 2300 is done. The warships took the lion's share of the work and some things don't quite fit but I waved my GM staff of power. I will be starting my campaign the first weekend of January.
I would like to know how it plays.
2kuhl4you
Weasel

Traveller 2300AD

Postby 2kuhl4you » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:16 pm

I will keep you all in the loop.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares are doomed to plow for those who didn't.
gloomhound
Mongoose

Postby gloomhound » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 am

You know what I've always wanted from 2300AD is? I want the stats to the "cone" shaped ship from page 8 in the Players Guide. That and deck plans.
tzunder
Stoat

Postby tzunder » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm

gloomhound wrote:You know I think you are right. I guess the one thing in the 2300AD cannon that I don't like is Texas as an independent country. So if I were going to change any one thing, that would be it.
But surely Texas never legally joined the USA, a claim made strongly by the Republic of Texas:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/ ... k.0-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Texas_(group)
gloomhound
Mongoose

Postby gloomhound » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:36 am

tzunder wrote:
gloomhound wrote:You know I think you are right. I guess the one thing in the 2300AD cannon that I don't like is Texas as an independent country. So if I were going to change any one thing, that would be it.
But surely Texas never legally joined the USA, a claim made strongly by the Republic of Texas:

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/ ... k.0-1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Texas_(group)
I would like to find out if the group members are paying federal income tax. :wink:
kristof65
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby kristof65 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 pm

I was one of those guys way back then who got ticked off at GDW when Traveller:2300 wasn't really Traveller, and never gave the system a chance.

Over the years, though, I feel like I missed out on a really cool setting - and I'd love to see the 2300 setting redone with MgT. Probably wouldn't buy it under another rule set, though, simply because I have too many ruleset's as it is.
2kuhl4you
Weasel

The first Traveller/2300AD session went very well

Postby 2kuhl4you » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:34 pm

We played the first Traveller/2300AD session and things went very well. The rules are simple and easy to use (even though I added hit locations) and we were all surprised by how deadly the weapons are. Everyone enjoyed the fun.

The party was sent on a rescue mission to find an overdue survey vessel. They found the other ship heavily damaged and evidence that the crew had to abandon ship for a nearby planet. The survivors were spread across 4 different landing zones but 2 were inexplicably empty. At the second site, they stumbled across an alien life form that had eaten the survivors. At the last 2 sites, they found 9 of the crew, battled more of the centipede-like critters (160cm long centipede-like critters with 40cm mandibles) and boosted for orbit just as a meteor shower struck. They spent several harrowing hours repairing their ship and then headed for Altair.
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:07 am

I understand Colin being *very* low on wife points :)

I would have really liked to see a six book or so run for 2300AD for the Mongoose Traveller system.

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X