SST miniatures "Cover"

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Wolfsbane
Stoat

SST miniatures "Cover"

Postby Wolfsbane » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:44 am

I've never played in an SST tournament so on re-reading the rules carefully for the effects of cover I wonder if I'm a victim of English-English vs. American-English or simply stubborn ...
Do the various point modifiers for cover effect the Target roll made by the attacker, or the save roll made by the target of the attack ?
I hastily presumed that it was only logical that some trees, rocks, or whatever made it less likely the bullet, beam, or acid spittle would find the target so I've been adjusting the Target roll. I'm defending my assumption preemptively since I've gotten the itch that the book means to say the opposite (adjust the Save) but I can't see it being very realistic - please clarify ? thanks.
Wolfsbane
Stoat

Postby Wolfsbane » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 pm

no answer ? Is this a SST v1.0 versus SST:evo vs. SST:WOS thing ? have I really stepped in it ?
Iain McGhee
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Iain McGhee » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:17 pm

Unofficial, but as far as SST:EVO goes cover and obscurement add to both Target and Kill scores, but not to Save (going by the PDF). Haven't played SST v1.0 for a few months so I'm uncertain as to whether it uses the same rule, but I'm fairly sure it does. I'll check the rulebook later and post again if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Iain McGhee on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain McGhee
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Iain McGhee » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:36 pm

I checked up last night and SST v1.0 is different to EVO in that the modifiers are indeed applied to the Armour Save. Think the idea is that although your shots are hitting in the right place they're being stopped by whatever cover your target is behind, in effect extra armour.
Wolfsbane
Stoat

Postby Wolfsbane » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:37 pm

Thanks, in that regard I think the EVO aswer is more in line with what I'm comfortable with. The only thing I can say about Adjusting the Save is that it ensures the modifier is a constant but even that leaves me unsatisfied because I'd expect for example a steel wall to have more effect in blocking a Morita than a Triple Thud or Scythe Cannon.
Rabidchild
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rabidchild » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 pm

Wolfsbane wrote:I'd expect for example a steel wall to have more effect in blocking a Morita than a Triple Thud or Scythe Cannon.
And it does! The Triple Thud and Scythe Cannon both have armor save modifiers.
Wolfsbane
Stoat

Postby Wolfsbane » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:54 pm

right , " Piercing/X " , understood - still it seems that when I've got 15-25 figures interacting, rolling maybe 6 to 30 dice at a time it helps to be able to say "drat, those walls stopped most of my firepower - you only have to roll Save on these four" rather than have nine Saves to throw.
I'd think that pre-empting the bulk of the 'next step' was a better idea.