Andromeda RPG

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Andromeda RPG

Postby Ulkesh » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:45 pm

How about an RPG set in the universe of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda? I mean the show ended up terribly but its got quite a rich universe I think. I mean its not limited to one galaxy but I think six galaxies and things like super advanced AI's and stuff. Could be a nice setting and perhaps allow people to redeem a show that had such potential.

Just a thought.
"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:46 pm

that sounds cool, dibs on 'rommi
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”
“Then grab your gun and bring in the cat,”

All painting Work on my photobucket is copywrite Derina Ramsey please ask if you wish to use.
B_Steele
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby B_Steele » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:10 pm

You have no idea the number of times I have suggested this to the companies I have worked for over the years.

I even went so far as to talk to Kevin Sorbo about it at GenCon two years ago. He seemed amiable to the idea, and was a really cool guy as well.

I want it to happen...oh yes...
Magistus
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Magistus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:00 pm

Using SpaceQuest for the rules. :)
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:08 am

It would be cool if it was done right, and cannot imagine it would be an expsensive license.
LilithsThrall
Banded Mongoose

Postby LilithsThrall » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:48 am

Kevin Sorbo is a nice guy?

I thought the reason Keith Hamilton Cobb left was a battle of egos between the two actors.
Am I wrong?
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AKAramis » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:27 am

LilithsThrall wrote:Kevin Sorbo is a nice guy?

I thought the reason Keith Hamilton Cobb left was a battle of egos between the two actors.
Am I wrong?
Many of the most egotistical folks I've known are real nice guys, until you impinge their self-image.
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:47 pm

I'd be interested in seeing an RPG based on the series. I like it too.
Londo to Vir: "What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm

Anyone up for doing this as a fan site project?
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:37 pm

I can't at this time. I'm too messed up emotionally at this time.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Okay. Hope your feeling better. Whatever is up, pull through! :D
Neo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Neo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:35 am

Mongoose Steele wrote:You have no idea the number of times I have suggested this to the companies I have worked for over the years.

I even went so far as to talk to Kevin Sorbo about it at GenCon two years ago. He seemed amiable to the idea, and was a really cool guy as well.

I want it to happen...oh yes...
I think Andromeda would be very easily done via Traveller, heck there are even more than a ideas in that show that seem to have been lifted from the RPG anyway :)
Cpl. Mark "Neo" Howe MI68-94
http://www.neo73.plus.com/
MI Forward Reconnaissance, The Wolf Pack
Mongooses "Old Man" of Playtesting
completed playtests #130!
Gaming since 1980
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 am

Noob to traveller here, but more than willing to listen yo such idea lifts.
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm

My father passed away last Wednesday just before midnight. Grief is hard to over come in a short period of time.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I dont know what to say. You'll be in my prayers. Stay strong.
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Thank you for your condolences! My family and I are being strong! It's hard though.
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this but I thought better to resurrect an old topic than to start a new one. I did make a second thread after this one but since this is the original one, thought I would go for this. Second thread is here http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB ... 3dbe8b51fd so if anyone can merge the two, would be appreciated since I think it would not clutter the forum so much. If I made any mistaken, please accept my humble apology :( Maybe third time's a charm? :D

Anyway, reason for the zombification of this thread was once again to nominate the Andromeda universe for an RPG. I kind of got re-inspired to start this up after reading the extraordinary work of Robert Hewitt Wolfe when he posted (ages ago) a script for his version of the story titled "Coda". I later found a thread where a Q&A topic was started where he answered fan questions about what he intended and where the story would have gone. That just inspired me to come back here and just try once again for an RPG of this universe as well as provide links to Wolfe's version of events.

So to examine once again, Mongoose had done the excellent B5 line and I think Andromeda is just another epic universe that would match B5 since the RPG is no longer active. So things like the Centauri factbook or Darkness and Light or the Lurker's Guide to Telepaths; I could perfectly see being adapted for the Andromeda verse. As I said in my second thread, Andromeda is a rich universe with six galaxies, tonnes of characters, dozens of alien races, lots of equipment ideas and again a chance to expand on the universe; hopefully using Wolfe's original concept. I mean one can explain things away as being possible futures that Trance could see even so you could have the show that was made along with the show that could have been made. So one can have settings back during the height of the Commonwealth, to the Fall to the restored Commonwealth and to Coda's version.

Onto content, one could have tonnes of guides to make for an Andromeda RPG. A Systems Commonwealth book, High Guard campaign guide, Nietzschean Alliance factbook, a Wayist factbook, a book about Trance's people and their servants the Pyrians along with the Abyss and his Magog (kind of like B5 RPG's Darkness and Light). A book about planets, characters, another of equipment, another about the other races as well as factions such as Restorians, Genites, Templars, Free Trade Alliance. Not to mention five guides for the five seasons of the show along with perhaps a Coda book that shows Wolfe's version of events. Thats a total of 15 books or more! Quite a bit of material there.

To the links;
Link to Coda: http://www.cyberspace5.net/agentrichard ... -start.htm
Link to Q&A: http://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?/top ... qa-thread/

So anyway, I gave it my shot once again and proposal. Just thought I would try and hope at least that I re-ignited some interest in the Andromeda franchise with the links above :)
"The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
SJE
Mongoose

Postby SJE » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:11 pm

How long has Andromeda been cancelled for now? I doubt anyone would think they'd get a return on the substantial investment of licensing the property and then writing 15 books for a niche market for a dead tv series that wasnt a fan favourite and lacks a large fan base. I can see its appeal as a roleplaying universe, but its not going to make its money back, let alone show a profit.

If someone won the lottery and wanted to spend their money on a dream vanity project, then it might happen (or if they 're-imagine' the series in 20 years time) but by and large most licenses are for properties that are still being published or on the air, or have a large, dedicated fanbase keeping the series alive in spinoffs.

SJE
broken serenity
Mongoose

Postby broken serenity » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:28 pm

Maybe if mongoose could get permission to do there own take on the setting it would prove abit more marketable?
zalen
Shrew

Postby zalen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm

I read an interview with the stars of the series and they where all roleplaying together in their spare time, why don't you appeal to their enjoyment of roleplaying B_Steele.
Granted i think it was D&D they where playing.

Didn't Kevin Sorbo personally fund a very brief spin-off series, i can't see why he would say no, he is the sole owner of it all now isn't he??, Originally it was Majel Roddenberry and Kevin Sorbo, now she has passed away.........HHHMMMM!!!!!!!!