Traveller: Blue Planet

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Participant-Observer
Weasel

Traveller: Blue Planet

Postby Participant-Observer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:17 pm

The Blue Planet setting seems to be in limbo between editions, ever since FFG stopped publishing it.

Both previous rule-systems were pretty spiffy and worthy of revival in their own right, but I think that Poseidon would make a great background for Traveller. Unusually for the settings mentioned as possible Trav settings, interstellar travel is expensive and fairly uncommon. Lots of lush detail about the world's hostile ecosystem, suspicious bio-engineered/ modded first generation "natives", mysterious/ unknowable alien "aborigines", and inter-corporate politics feature. It's a genuinely "political" "cyberpunk" setting.

With lovely 1st edition artwork, please. :)

Any thoughts?

(PS. I also think that Poseidon would make a great setting for adventures in the Dredd universe: the powers and responsibilities of the GEO Marshals are very "Judge-like".)
Cheers,

David

Postby Mongoose Gar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Blue Planet's very, very close to my heart - my very first bit of freelancing was doing the adventure at the back of Natural Selection. I was running a campaign of it earlier in the year, which went really well.

(Well, most of the planet got trashed by a superstorm, and GenDiver became a freaky hive-mind entity, but it was fun.)
Participant-Observer
Weasel

Postby Participant-Observer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:Blue Planet's very, very close to my heart - my very first bit of freelancing was doing the adventure at the back of Natural Selection.
Kudos. That was a great book. :)
Mongoose Gar wrote: I was running a campaign of it earlier in the year, which went really well.

(Well, most of the planet got trashed by a superstorm, and GenDiver became a freaky hive-mind entity, but it was fun.)
Now, wouldn't all this suggest to you that it would make a great Traveller setting? 8)
Cheers,

David

Postby Mongoose Gar » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:11 am

Oh, no question - BP's chargen was lifepath-based, and the tech levels aren't dissimilar once you ignore Traveller's cheap anti-grav. The problem is that Blue Planet's fanbase wasn't big enough to support the game back in the day... although with the printing press, smaller print runs are feasible...hmm...

...I'm going to send some emails.
EDG
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby EDG » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:46 am

It'd be awesome if Mongoose could get Blue Planet out again on the Traveller license... (btw, I loved Natural Selection. So much awesome information in there, I wish every world in a scifi game could be that detailed!)
Silvereye
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Silvereye » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:03 am

Great.... More stuff I'd feel compelled to buy.... :roll:

Blue Planet was an excellent setting, plenty of background and interestingly different.

In what other game could you play a gene-lifted cetacean?
Andy W
Collector of dead wargames
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me

Postby MaxSteiner » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:10 am

GURPS Uplift :D
That is about it though :lol:
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
Participant-Observer
Weasel

Postby Participant-Observer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:11 pm

Mongoose Gar wrote:The problem is that Blue Planet's fanbase wasn't big enough to support the game back in the day... although with the printing press, smaller print runs are feasible...hmm...

...I'm going to send some emails.
That would be fantastic. Thanks. :D

(It'd be a shame to see such a thoughtful SFRPG disappear.)
Cheers,

David

Weasel

Postby Participant-Observer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Silvereye wrote:Great.... More stuff I'd feel compelled to buy.... :roll:
Awww ... c'mon. What else were you going to spend your money on? Food?!? :lol:
Cheers,

David

Chief Mongoose
Location: City of Wonders, Valusia (before the major cataclysm)

Postby The King » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:54 am

I second the Blue Planet setting.

FFG has stopped the publishing but the original creators have kept the rights.
An American-style kitchen is a kitchen in the living room.
A French-style toilet has toilet in the living room.
My neighbours combine both styles.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Blue Planet has an awesome setting indeed.
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:28 pm

Perhaps it has few supporters, but the ones I've listened to are vocal and very, er, supportive. I think it could go well using Traveller rules, as a sourcebook/campaign setting, or as its own game built on the Traveller base, or -- best of both worlds -- both concepts in one volume.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:16 am

Blue Planet would definitely be right up there as a good setting/licence for the Traveller rules.

The 'realistic' tone of the game fits the setting perfectly - and indeed, would promote the setting within a 'family' of other noteable settings also being done with this ruleset.

Of all the possible gameworld licences that would work with Traveller, Blue Planet is probably the one that I'd choose above all others.
Outtasight!