Blade or Underworld

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
sidkfjjteidlkkf
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Blade or Underworld

Postby sidkfjjteidlkkf » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 pm

These would be cool D20 games. I know they have them in other formats, but the concepts would be COOL!!!
John

Hey! What part of Initiative do you not understand!!!! WAITE YOUR TURN...
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 am

I think it would be cool, but hard enough to differentiate them from World of Darkness, plus the whole marvel licensing, with wizkids and fantasy flight games having access to doing marvel games.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:40 am

Yeah WW tried to sue Underworld and hence Sony apperently - cos they invented vampires etc :roll:

Underworld 1 and 2 are fantastic films, not just for the lovely Ms Beckinsale and Ms Myles - be interesting backgrounds as the nature of the vamps and were wolves is in fact different - woth the whole virus thing.

I would probably by a good version but it would need to be nicely done - al al Buffy rpg- lots of decent screen shots etc - not the sometimes OK sometimes dire art the Mongoose uses - I/m looking at hawmoons picture of Ornithopter and Grnabreton soldier firing flame lance as good examples of a 10 year olds work....... :(
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

I blaim the artists. It makes it easier.
As for the game, I think it would make a cool hyper detailed miniature comabt game. I remember those vampire knights at the start of the second movie going after the wolf. Very cool.
But there is not enough in just two moveis to make the license justified and worthwhile, and most people will go for world of darkness because it has more detail and so much histroy as is.
And it was very tongue in cheek for WW to try that. I hope Sony counter sue their sorry butts.
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:09 pm

The Underworld setting is perhaps a bit more interesting because of the Lycans and the Vampire war. Though I think the Blade vampires are cool as well but meh...

Anyway I could see quite a few factions for an Underworld rpg. The vampires split between the aristocracy and their warriors which include the elite Death Dealers. Then there are the Lycans who are like barbarians waging a guerilla war against their enemies. And then there is Alexander Corvinus's faction of humans who know of the war and try to lesen its effects on human society. And then of course there are renegade groups of course... perhaps Lycans who are like William and can't transform and live a very predatory solitary life or Vampires that tried to overthrow their leaders and got banished or perhaps Human survivors of a Vampire or Lycan attack and decide to become a one man's crusade against the species. Hell, perhaps even the government have a secret program to deal with these factions.

This doesnt consider of course what other races could have perhaps evolved because of the virus which is another interesting thing to consider.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:20 am

I was going to bring that point out about other races with the virus. I mean, that gives a LOT of possibilities. I mean, you'd need to take classic monster from myth. I mean, you get some sort of insect and you got a type of bug/man/vampire, or you could even end up with different 'were' like a werebear...
Gives you a lot really, lizard men and what not.
What would be good though.... Panther people?
Some by nature of the creature would be variants of the Lycans, where they grow into large monsters, while other creatures taht share similar characteristics with bats would create variant vampire species.

Fleshed out properly, come to think of it, would be brilliant as a game. They need another movie or comic series or something, just to give the goose something to work with if they ever decide to go for the license.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 am

I don't think Undeworld would make such a nice RPG setting. There is not much to see in this universe besides what it shown in the movies and most of it is blasted to shred at the end of Evolution. Some elements of it are just plain stupid, IMO, and would discourage mature gamers.

However, a vampire fast-action RPG could make a great game.

What I would keep from Underworld is the general aesthetic (steam trains, Eastern-Europe feeling,...).
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:35 am

Kyorou wrote:I don't think Undeworld would make such a nice RPG setting. There is not much to see in this universe besides what it shown in the movies and most of it is blasted to shred at the end of Evolution. Some elements of it are just plain stupid, IMO, and would discourage mature gamers.

What I would keep from Underworld is the general aesthetic (steam trains, Eastern-Europe feeling,...).
Depends on when you set it too - before the films would be interesting - plus there are still at least one Coven of Vamps left, werewolves are still around I presume - would make an interesting modern day game. I have been toying with the idea of the idea of Res Evil /underworld scenario - Umbrella would love to get hold of a vamp / werewolf for the virus in their blood.............
Ulkesh
Banded Mongoose

Postby Ulkesh » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:19 pm

Da Boss wrote:
Kyorou wrote:I don't think Undeworld would make such a nice RPG setting. There is not much to see in this universe besides what it shown in the movies and most of it is blasted to shred at the end of Evolution. Some elements of it are just plain stupid, IMO, and would discourage mature gamers.

Depends on when you set it too - before the films would be interesting - plus there are still at least one Coven of Vamps left, werewolves are still around I presume - would make an interesting modern day game. I have been toying with the idea of the idea of Res Evil /underworld scenario - Umbrella would love to get hold of a vamp / werewolf for the virus in their blood.............
Or perhaps a Blade/Underworld/Resident Evil setting even.

Also, an interesting thing to note is that I think at the end of Blade there is mention of him fighting werewolves...
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Da Boss wrote:I have been toying with the idea of the idea of Res Evil /underworld scenario - Umbrella would love to get hold of a vamp / werewolf for the virus in their blood.............
Well, if you add the proto-cyberpunk/survival horror flavour to it, it gets interesting... :wink:
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Hell, working on ones own setting but encorporating those elements would work, given time.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:58 am

Yeah, that was my point. RPGs based on one movie or video game tend to be kinda poor, imo, as, most of the time, it only repeats what's in the original source.

That's why I'd favor a RPG inspired from several movies, with its own "feeling" and universe (the evil corp doesn't need to be called "Umbrella"), so you don't have to stick to the official thruths. Besides, not having to pay a licence is always good news.

BTW, I'd add some Ultraviolet (gaudy costumes and flashy action) in the mix. 8)
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 am

Maybe some sort of oreder to purge the non-humans. The only thing with ones own universe is that it requires a lot of work.

And to keep it different, the virus element from underworld, vamp houses from underworld, and evil corporation bad guys would need to be avoided or changed. There could still be evil companies and whatnot, but they would have to have less focus, so no lawsuit will ensue.
Kyorou
Mongoose

Postby Kyorou » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:30 am

In the Blade universe, vampirism is also caused by a virus. One could also mention the HMVV from Shadowrun.

Evil corporations are a common element in SF too. As long as no industrial zombie-making is included, there should be no problem.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:13 pm

So basically vampirism is an STD.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:06 pm

Mage wrote:So basically vampirism is an STD.
Well yes, but not exclusively.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 pm

Awesome. MP-STD (Multiple platform STD).
Shadow Queen
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Shadow Queen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:39 am

Mage wrote:Awesome. MP-STD (Multiple platform STD).
dont you mean a major pain in the neck??
“What do you hear?”
“Nothing but the rain,”
“Then grab your gun and bring in the cat,”

All painting Work on my photobucket is copywrite Derina Ramsey please ask if you wish to use.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 pm

Could be both.
xeoran
Banded Mongoose

Postby xeoran » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:50 am

With Blade though would you go with the original comic or the films?
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth